Nt Lands Committment # 13 Jeremy Phillips From Waller

OldTimer

Ramblin' Roads...

NT Athletic Hall of Famer, NFL #1 draft choice (I think?) and multi-year NFL Pro Bowler Cedric Hardman first came to Denton at around 5' 10" less than 200 (as I recall this wild story) and then Hardman would grow to be 6'4" 240 lbs while on our campus and become a Mean Green legend and if not for the great Mean Joe Greene may (today) have been considered our signature past legend

If it were in our coaches plans for Jeremy Phillips to bulk up to 240 lbs (give or take--mostly give), you then (with a 4.6 forty) have yourself a pretty quick & fast defensive end at the NCAA D1-A level and one who just happens to be living over at.....the Mean Green Athletic Village. :)

The single most thing that is impressing me with these conference championship games of this last week is just simply all the team speed. Hawaii and Boise State (of the WAC) :rolleyes: would be toward the top of that speed list, too. How the hell did we let Troy U get so damn fast on us, folks? Never mind, I think we've been there the last 2 years on GMG.com quite frankly.

WAC'ster U of Hawaii is now ranked #12 and has been predicted now to be in one of the BCS Championship Series Bowl Games, which would be the WAC's 2'nd year in a row to have one of their teams in that elite company. All this while the SBC champion (with 2 poll votes) plays a, uh, "4'th" place/unranked CUSA football team who had to beat SMU 2 days ago to become bowl elgible. I know, ;) I'll get off this WAC kick when I see we merely do what I suppose former teacher's colleges in Texas do, ie, do the "we po' but proud" routine, "we don't deserve better, after all we're North Texas AND..........just hang in there with the status quo, but one has to ask the question: WW"HF"D?

That is if he were still in Denton or on some committee making suggestions on the possibility of upgrading our conference home? I think many of us know that Coach Fry would not take a year or 2 or 3 or 4 to make his decision on this kind of thing. (Not mean't as a slap to Rick V at all, because I believe our AD wants UNT to advance and go forward/upward "conference-wise" just as his alma mater (Southern Miss) was doing that as we of North Texas were in the midst of enjoying our mult-decades long roller coaster ride. (Please don't ask any of us older nestors how many schools we used to be at the same level would go "Beep! Beep!" past us the last 4 decades because it would only discourage you about this aspect of our dear alma mater).

IF.........we haven't blown our opportunity to go westward ho the WAC, we should be tripping all over ourselves even maybe even doing a little grovelling if we have to with WAC Commish' Karl Benson to bring us and a couple of other SBC schools with get this done. NOTE: There does not seem to be any move for the MWC to have another football member school, specifically the Boise State Broncos, as some of us thought might happen and certainly the MWC would have not extra space for Hawaii, either.

OK all you Young Gun NT Alums, I know I'm off subject here, but I'm getting old enough to use "older" age as my excuse in doing such ramblings! :lol:

GMG! Beat FIU & Make My Prediction of "3" Wins The Day We Hired Todd Dodge Become Reality! (On the other side of that coin, I believe we should add more years to TDodge's present contract and raise his "buy out" fee for those who will court him in the future).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Trust me 4.6 is not slow. Think of it this way, if a reciever is going down the field that runs a 4.4 and both of these guys are stride for stride, then over 40 yards the reciever would only be .2 seconds (or about a quarter of a step) past our DB. Unless the ball is thrown in front and over the outside shoulder (meaning a picture perfect pass over 40 yards) then our DB will have the coverage. I'll take my chances

Trust me 4.6 is not slow. Think of it this way, if a receiver is going down the field that runs a 4.4 and both of these guys are stride for stride, then over 40 yards the reciever would only be .2 seconds (or about a quarter of a step) past our DB. Unless the ball is thrown in front and over the outside shoulder (meaning a picture perfect pass over 40 yards) then our DB will have the coverage. I'll take my chances

agreed. And from the way dodge was saying they work and stress team speed, there is no way he could get slower.

Trust me 4.6 is not slow. Think of it this way, if a reciever is going down the field that runs a 4.4 and both of these guys are stride for stride, then over 40 yards the reciever would only be .2 seconds (or about a quarter of a step) past our DB. Unless the ball is thrown in front and over the outside shoulder (meaning a picture perfect pass over 40 yards) then our DB will have the coverage. I'll take my chances

Not slow, but not fast!

Think of it this way, if a reciever is going down the field that runs a 4.4 and both of these guys are stride for stride, then over 40 yards the reciever would only be .2 seconds (or about a quarter of a step) past our DB.

Sorry but it would be a little over 5 feet in 40 yards and almost 3 foot in the 20 yard.

Yes, Darrien Williams plays safety for Vernon. Just ask the RB's from Celina how it was meeting him for the first time last year in the Semi's. He flies up and will absolutely smoke people near the LOS, while also being extremely effective in coverage and displaying good closing speed.

In fact, I think Coach Archie and them may have played Vernon this year...if so, I'd like to hear his assesment of Darrien.

Anywho, very glad to land Jeremy. Looks like he has a great frame, and a ton of athleticism. For a kid to have that size-speed combo as a 17 year old is impressive, and he will only get better. How about having a 6'4" 210 lb ball-hawking 4.5 safety in the secondary...sounds good huh? Not to mention, I guarantee he brings a ton of intangibles to the table being a coach's kid.

Not to put a damper on this, but will 4.6 speed get in done in the secondary? At least he is tall enough to battle the Malcolm Kelly types, but can he stay with them?

well he isn't going to be playing corner... so I don't keeping with the receiver is as much an issue as being smart enough to make reads, get a good angle.

This speed deal wears me out. I wish Coach Archie would help me out here too. For crying out loud, 4.6 is fast, especially for a 6'3"+ kid!!! Most of the stuff you see on the internet about high school prospects, espcially from Scout are times that are VERY generous (most likely handheld times by their high school coaches). Go look up the 40 times for the top NFL draft prospects and you'll get a true reading that will SHOCK most of you. Then you'll understand that a 4.6 is fast, and a 4.5 is very fast, and a 4.4 is ridiculously fast.