Drc Blub No Respect For Nt At Media Day

OldTimer

October 22, 2007

No respect for UNT men at media day

I just sat down at Sun Belt Conference Basketball Media Days over in Mobile, Ala. Here is the rundown of where UNT was picked in the preseason polls.

The Mean Green men didn't get a whole lot of respect after winning the Sun Belt tournament title last season. UNT is picked to finish second in the SBC West this season behind Louisiana-Monroe, which was a near unanimous pick to win the division. UNT received one first-place vote. Arkansas State was picked to finish third and received two first-place votes, while New Orleans was picked to finish fourth and received one first-place vote.

UNT had two players selected to the preseason all-conference team. Forwards Quincy Williams and Keith Wooden were both third-team selections. New Orleans guard Bo McCalebb was a very deserving pick as the preseason player of the year.

The UNT women were picked to finish third in the SBC West and received two first-place votes. Arkansas-Little Rock was picked to win the division while Denver was picked to finish second. UALR received six first-place votes. Denver had three and Arkansas State, which was picked to finish fourth, had two.

Senior forward Talicia Sanders was the only UNT player selected to the preseason all-conference team. She was a third-team pick.

Western Kentucky forward Crystal Kelly is the preseason player of the year.

In an interesting side note, the Sun Belt Conference Tournament will be played in Hot Springs, Ark., in the 2009-2011 seasons.

Posted by Brett Vito at 11:59 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

October 20, 2007

Maybe its due to our "run" through the conference in the regular season last year. Some may see our tournament win is simply a team getting hot at the right time, and not an indication of something more. I disagree, and I think we have a good shot at winning the division and back to back tournament wins. Then on the the "Dance" again. I think that is the goal the team should have this season, and I think it is definitely an obtainable goal. Unlike, T Dodge and the unfounded expectations some put on the football team this year, i think JJ has the men ready to go "dancing" a second straight year. Just getting two 3rd team selections is a slap in the face to UNT, but should be good bulletin board fodder!

Should be a fun season for UNT. I hope Tina S can get the women to the "dance" this year. I think the women's team has "underperformed" the last several years. Hopefully, they will play up to their potential this season, get off to a great start and "hit the dance floor" at season's end. It is very possible! At least I think so. We'll see.

Come to the Denton Exes Mixer on Nov. 7th and hear what both Johnny and Tina have to say about the season. Mixer starts at 6PM at the Super Pit...concourse level...gates/doors D & G.

I like to think the difference between last year and this year is the post-season experience these guys have on the table now. IMO, playing Memphis in the post-season is a HUGE advantage to carry on their belts when they head into this season and, more specifically, through ULM and the rest of the conference to win another title.

Maybe so, but that is much more recognition for Wooden than this prognosticator gave:

CBL Preview

Had a feeling this might come up. A couple of reasons for my appearant lack of love for Keith Wooden.

1. I think Quincy is poised for a monster season...leaving Keith as a second interior option...and leaving Q to recieve all the accolades.

2. While I believe Keith is a better post player than Desmond Yates, I have to think that one of MTSU's 3 bigmen (Hudson and Hetherington) will show something, and again with Wooden playing second fiddle his numbers wouldn't be comparable. Yates is the most athletic of the group and against a small conference he'll end up with lots of boards and put back points

3. Had to avoid homerism.

But thanks for the kick in the balls.

Had a feeling this might come up. A couple of reasons for my appearant lack of love for Keith Wooden.

1. I think Quincy is poised for a monster season...leaving Keith as a second interior option...and leaving Q to recieve all the accolades.

2. While I believe Keith is a better post player than Desmond Yates, I have to think that one of MTSU's 3 bigmen (Hudson and Hetherington) will show something, and again with Wooden playing second fiddle his numbers wouldn't be comparable. Yates is the most athletic of the group and against a small conference he'll end up with lots of boards and put back points

3. Had to avoid homerism.

But thanks for the kick in the balls.

Williams should have a big year for us. Problem is keeping him on the floor. He's got to get smarter with the fouls down low.

Not bad. When was the last time we were picked to even finish third?

Great point...I don't take the events and selections at media day as being a lack of respect...you make pre-season predictions based upon known commodities, and UNT has few...it would be very easy for others in the SBC to see our run last year as a fluke, or atleast to see us as the mediocre team that we were from the Nebraska game through early January. ULM returns 95% of its scoring from a team that won the division, not picking them would be disrespect.