Mean Green Fan Read Before Coming To Troy!

Trojan Delta Chi

Hey guys, just wanted to drop in and tell you all a little about what to expect from the Troy game day atmosphere. Troy students always tailgate on Shackelford Quad (the residential quad near the baseball stadium). Greek organizations will have tents set up and will be grilling and drinking out there before kick off. Other tailgaters line University Avenue and the whole campus is one big outdoor party. A couple hours before kick off the Sound of the South marches down University and fans line the street to watch the performance as they make their way to the stadium. 2 hours prior to kick off we have Trojan Walk, as the players make their way to the stadium. Tailgating at Troy is a big deal, partially because it's a small town and there's nothing else to do, but mostly because football is EVERYTHING at Troy and we love getting out there and getting ready, lol.

Watch out for the visibly drunk kids, they might be rude (probably the same way at UNT). Just ignore them, it's isolated and NOT what Troy is about. If your looking for a good place to eat in town I recommend Buffalo Jack's, its a sports bar with good wings, a full bar (sorry no draft in Pike County though), and plasma screens at every table. The Double Branch is the best bar in town, it's right on 231 (the main road through town). Three different bars within, usually 2 bands playing at the same time and has an outdoor bar in the back. It has a green sign that says DB in white, can't miss it. If you need tailgating supplies Wal-Mart is just down 231 headed towards Dothan.

Please feel free to come and experience all that Troy has to offer, we love sharing our traditions with our fellow Sun Belt brethren. Expect to see plenty of construction going on on campus. The baseball stadium is undergoing upgrades that will include artificial turf, ESPN quality lighting, a green monster in right field that will house an HD replay board, new two story home dugout complex, and party decks for students in left field. Also, we are building a new state of the art Education building right across from Shack Quad. If you get a chance please tour the campus and look around, we are very proud of the grounds and I'd love for you all to see the place that has meant so much to me during my college career.

Thanks for reading and I hope your trip to Troy is an enjoyable one that you will want to revisit over and over.

Go Troy!

Edited by Trojan Delta Chi

Trojan Delta Chi,

That is a nice gesture to inform the Mean Green fans of what to expect when coming to Alabama! It's always nice to go to a place where the fans/community are hospitable.

At this time, you guys are certainly the class of 'The Belt'. I look forward to some great matchups with Troy and North Texas as Coach Dodge continues to get this ball rolling here in Denton, TX.

Sounds like that baseball stadium is going to be nice!

Just gazing at an arial view of Troy's stadium on Google Earth, it looks awesome. Looks like it holds 30k or so. Anybody know what their stadium is like?

Here's a little info on Movie Gallery Stadium..... (Check out pages 26 & 27 in the link below)

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/17200/07_F...DB_OEM_ID=17200

The Troy University football program unveiled a

newly renovated, $18 million Movie Gallery Veterans

Stadium as the final piece of its Division I-A move in

fall 2003. The project, which took more than a year to

complete, increased the facility's seating capacity to

30,000, an increase of more than 12,000 seats.

Construction began on the project in July 2002

and was completed in time for the Trojans' 2003 home

opener against Southeast Louisiana on Sept. 20.

The stadium has seen tremendous growth and

change during its 54-year existence. It was built for a

mere $65,000 as Memorial Stadium in 1950 and seated

just 5,000 spectators. Several renovations followed,

including in 1998, when the facility moved from

a 12,000-seat capacity to 17,500.

Construction began in July 2002 to expand

its capacity to 30,000, with the largest part of the

project being a new six-story press box structure

that houses 27 sky boxes, a state-of-the-art media

hosting facility, a unique Trojan Stadium Club

area that houses more than 1,000 guests, and

floors dedicated to sports medicine, academics

and strength & conditioning.

As a part of the construction, the Jesse H.

Colley Track, which was housed at the stadium,

was relocated – making the stadium a footballonly

venue.

Also gone is the prescription athletic turf,

replaced by "AstroPlay," an artificial surface that

closely resembles grass in feel and appearance.

Troy became one of the first schools in the Deep

South to install the turf. Ole Miss, Princeton, the U.S.

Naval Academy, the U.S. Military Academy (Army)

and the Air Force Academy all use the same product.

Several professional franchises have also installed the

product in recent years, including the Buffalo Bills.

A large-screen, endzone video board was also

installed, along with a state-of-the-art sound system.

Man it sure is weird to hear people refer to us as "the class" of the Sun Belt. When I got here in 2003 Troy was nothing spectacular in football...although we did beat and then very good Marshall program. That was our signature win to date, of course beating #17 Missouri quickly replaced it. Anyways, I was just going to tell you all a little bit more about this weekend's atmosphere.

If you get in town friday, the Troy soccer team is hosting "The biggest soccer tailgate in America" at 1 pm. There will be music, food, activities, and of course our ladies will be hosting FIU. Please come by if your in town, game starts at 3. The soccer stadium is over by the football stadium and the on campus gold course.

The theme of our homecoming is Trojans Never Die, and is a James Bond rip-off. The game day shirts are pretty funny. They have Hector holding an eagle upside down over a pot. Says, "Eat Your Greens." It's funny, and if you want one for some reason they are $10 at the game. I look forward to seeing you all, please feel free to roam the quad and say hey to the Delta Chi's...thats where I will be.

The theme of our homecoming is Trojans Never Die, and is a James Bond rip-off. The game day shirts are pretty funny. They have Hector holding an eagle upside down over a pot. Says, "Eat Your Greens." It's funny, and if you want one for some reason they are $10 at the game. I look forward to seeing you all, please feel free to roam the quad and say hey to the Delta Chi's...thats where I will be.

We've got James Bond and Tuxedo T-shirts for our Homecoming - so in your face.

I like to think it is in honor of me and the Krystal's eating champion from last year.

Guest JohnDenver

Man it sure is weird to hear people refer to us as "the class" of the Sun Belt. When I got here in 2003 Troy was nothing spectacular in football...

Yep, back then *we* were the class of the Belt. Somehow time flies and things slip away.

Enjoy this while you can and don't let it get to your head or start thinking that it is your rightful domain..

I think every Belt team is one injury away from being mediocre/abysmal (imagine if your QB went down..ouch).

Here's to a good game Saturday.