If We Go 0-12 Don't Be Suprised If There Are Some Big Changes

UNT_playmaker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mean any particular coach was to get fired or reassigned.

But IF we end up 0-12, there will be some changes upon the the weak areas of the program, whether it be defense or OL and etc.

Regardless of the final outcome of the season (0-12 or 12-0), I hope there are always changes to the weak areas of the program. :blink:

Regardless of the final outcome of the season (0-12 or 12-0), I hope there are always changes to the weak areas of the program. :blink:

I agree, no one is more excited about Dodge than myself, and we have got to keep him as long as we can. I believe Dodge will address any "weak areas" in the off-season. He IS a competitor and, if I recall, his first few years at SLC weren't great. He studied the game and made decisions to make the program better.

We had Matt Simon, who could sneak in an occassional upset. Dickey could win the games we expected to win(three years ago). We now have a guy that, over time, who will do both. He is a players coach, a fans coach, and an asset to our great institution. The doubters must have patience. This thing will turn around. We are seeing something from our offense that looks good.

I didn't mean any particular coach was to get fired or reassigned.

But IF we end up 0-12, there will be some changes upon the the weak areas of the program, whether it be defense or OL and etc.

Really? Here's your moronic start to this thread. What then, did you exactly mean by this:

A true or let me add PROUD Div 1 Football Program would fire the head coach and all the assistants after a 0-12 start, especially considering that half of the teams in their conference in are ranked below #110 in the nation.

All I am saying is if this continues, watch for changes, im not even talking about from AD Rick Villareal, but from our prez Gretchen Bataille and the BOR. Our prez thinks our football program is key to building this university and has high expectations for this team. 0-12, speaks loudly....Villareal should have intervened when NONE of our coaches had experience coaching defense in the college ranks. NONE WHATSOEVER. DODGE is to Mendoza what Dickey was to FLANIGAN. He won't fire a friend, not a coach, a friend. Mendoza will bring down Dodge, like Flanigan brought down Dickey.

In my opinion our sure win of the season was ULL, some say, FIU, well it doesnt look good.

Attendance will be below 10,000 for the remainder of the season, except the NAVY game....

We are the Buffalo and Temple of NCAA FOOTBALL in the nation.

Really? Here's your moronic start to this thread. What then, did you exactly mean by this:

Get lost Lifer and stop looking for arguments on here.

Back on topic:

My observations from the watching the game. I finally got to watch the game and take advantage of the new invention called Tivo. This helped my friends and me really assess the team. And I assure you it was quite depressing. Yes this is TD's first season and he needs time but watching what we saw would make anyone wonder how our players could even think that what they are doing is correct. We saw over and over again our offensive line get busted in by 3, yes THREE, defensive linemen time and time again. These linemen weren't bigger than our guys, probably just smarter. Our tackles got schooled left and right and put continuous pressure on our QB. We watched a few plays where their defensive linemen would simply hit and spin right by our tackle and pressure the QB. This was the most pathetic display of protection I have seen to date. By this time in the game we could only laugh. There was another offensive play where the left guard seemed to be completely lost by what was going on and started to squat down when the ball snapped Vizza started running to the left and the guard came up and took him out. Purely pathetic.

There is a sever lack of discipline with our players and half of them seem to have no idea about what is going on.

On a positive note: Although we are giving up a lot of penalties our team seems to be more disciplined with the personal fouls and controlling their tempers.

Lifer,

Our football program is going down in flames and you are worried about threads!!!!!!

and when I mean program, I also mean attendance, present and future recruits, season ticket holders, donor support and contributions, as well as recognition.

If you don't believe me wait for this week's bottom ten as we will give FIU a run for it's money for the top spot.

Lifer,

Our football program is going down in flames and you are worried about threads!!!!!!

and when I mean program, I also mean attendance, present and future recruits, season ticket holders, donor support and contributions, as well as recognition.

If you don't believe me wait for this week's bottom ten as we will give FIU a run for it's money for the top spot.

First of all, who gives a rat's ass about the stupid ESPN Bottom 10? I don't care, if we're number one in that stupidass poll. It's only seen on the ESPN website, not picked up by any papers....so all you guys who get worked up over that thing....be my guest. That poll is seen by so few people...I could care less.

Secondly, Playmaker since you're so worried about season ticket holders and donors.....do you have season tickets? Are you in the MGC? If not, quit worrying about it.

Thirdly, I'm glad that Daddy Crapsalot has finally heard of Tivo. Really cutting edge there, dude.

Lifer, your first mistake is using logic and/or reason with any discussion with your opponent. Logic and reason are not to be used in a time such as this, when one must run from the falling sky of UNT being on an ESPN joke poll that perhaps may recognize UNT's defense deserves us the "nation's worst ranking."

For example, logic and/or reason might make one assume that direct consequences of an impending hurricane are better worried about in New Orleans than Denton. Nevertheless, when the sky is falling, Denton area residents should be evacuating to higher ground in upstate Oklahoma.

HEED UNT_PMKR's WARNING

The sky is falling. Repeat. The sky is falling. North Texas is 0-5. Repeat. 0-5. ... On a related note, a lower pressure system in south east New Zealand is likely to have dramatic and immediate consequences for those living in or around the conjunction of Interstates 35E and 35W in upstate Texas. All area residents are advised to immediately evacuate to Baton Rouge, where you can see LSU, the nation's #1 team. Or, drive over to New Orleans and see the Green Wave and think to yourself "North Texas ain't so bad, afterall."

Thirdly, I'm glad that Daddy Crapsalot has finally heard of Tivo. Really cutting edge there, dude.

First, A man who uses "ly" on the end of "second" and "third" is most likely a hippie liberal that wears sandals and used to live in Los Angeles, or Texarkana.

Second, what's tivo?

apparently when all else fails now everyone resorts to name-calling. Just pathetic. Please Dodge starting winning soon, this starting to turn into a 3rd Grade Recess Period. :unsure:

Apologies for not making my sarcasm more obvious. I am quite certain SUE got it, what with him being a conservative and all.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Harshin' on Playmaker or others is not going to change anything. If you're going to rain on Playmaker then at least show enough form to do it in good spirit, because that at least is where he's coming from.

Back to the core of his subject, I am not sure there would be any such big changes. I don't know where the heads of the decision-makers are at. I think we were doomed because we decided not to enter the arms race. We are not spending enough on coaches, by a long shot. Of course, spending a lot does not offer a guarantee, but at least it gives you a chance. I felt like last year's decision to go small again was the end for NT football, but I thought 'well why not, maybe there will be a miracle'. There is no miracle. I think we can either expect to spend a lot more and get someone (and staff) who will give us more of a chance, or to see NT back in 1AA or give it up altogether. I have to say, if we go back 1AA we should never play any D1 teams. I would prefer to see no embarrassing football results.

Obviously my preference would be to enter the arms race so I can talk about college football with my friends who are fans of other schools, without looking at the ground. I am real real tired of it. I enjoy football when my team is competitive, but there is not much to enjoy about NT football. For a couple of years there was a glimmer of hope, but that was a long time ago. Some of you are so hopeful about our new coach. I just don't think you're factoring in what other schools are doing.

School administrators would ask, now is that worth a few million a year? They would ask, where will the money come from? I would say, yes, because it is an investment that will pay off long term for the school anyway. Right now a lot of people would not even consider sending their kids to NT for college because, in large part due to this dismal football program, NT is perceived as small-time, second-rate or worse. How do they get the money? Go ask for it, a lot. I am giving all I can. How many others are? How many NT alumni are out there who don't care. Apparently a lot. Make them care. Other schools have lots of people on staff doing that every day.

Harshin' on Playmaker or others is not going to change anything. If you're going to rain on Playmaker then at least show enough form to do it in good spirit, because that at least is where he's coming from.

Apologies for the shoddy form. Words are read differently by different people. I think UNT_PLMKR's points are very bad, which doesn't mean I think he is a bad person.

Back to the core of his subject, ... I don't know where the heads of the decision-makers are at. I think we were doomed because we decided not to enter the arms race. We are not spending enough on coaches, by a long shot. ... School administrators would ask, now is that worth a few million a year?

Others can cite the $s better, but isn't UNT paying TD approx (edit: $200K base w/ incentives that could take it over $400K). If memory serves me correctly, DD was hired for less. I think your point is good that we should invest in our program, but the reason why Todd Dodge's first coaching job is UNT is because ... we're UNT. That's not to say where we're going, but where we have been. Sure, we were close to SWC admission circa 1980, but that fell through and we became known as a Southland team. Now we're rebuilding.

Every $ we can raise, IMHO should be invested in a stadium, which all agree would have huge impact in game day experience and outsider perception. My hope is that this is TD's first D1A coaching job, because the reality is if he does as well as we all hope, then we'll eventually lose him to a big $ school. Folks, no mater what, we're never going to have the budget of a UT, LSU, et cetera. That doesn't mean we can't build a solid program.

To use your words, the core of the subject as I see it whether the sky is falling. It most certainly is not.

Edited by MGW

Come on guys. This thread is embarrassing :(

IMHO, a lot of the expectations were way too high coming into the season. Yes the defense is underachieving. But, please give the team some time to work things out.

We all agree that the problem right now goes beyond player talent. But, we have a group of coaches that know each other and will work things out together. These guys know far more about what is going on than we do. If coach Mendoza and the other guys feel that they need some outside help, you can bet they will do whatever it takes to improve the situation.

Yes, it is bad. But, it will get better. The defensive problems have obviously caught the coaching staff off guard. Lets give them a little time to adjust.

Don't say something now that you will regret when all this gets turned around. People do remember those that prematurely jump off the bandwagon.

Get lost Lifer and stop looking for arguments on here.

There is a sever lack of discipline with our players and half of them seem to have no idea about what is going on.

On a positive note: Although we are giving up a lot of penalties our team seems to be more disciplined with the personal fouls and controlling their tempers.

Exhibit B.

I'm not looking for a fight, I'm just tired of the baseless posts and kneejerk reactions from posters that have been known to blow things out of proportion. Oh, and the flip flopping is ridiculous (above as an example).

Ah, here we are at 0-5. Only the game against FIU looks promising now. We have a QB starting now whose passes look like punts. The only question is who will field them, us or our opponent?

It's Todd Dodge's way of waving the white flag on 2007. And, yet, for some reason, he and our genius athletic director who hired him will expect us to bite the baited hook of "rebuilding, learning curve" and a bunch of other complete crap. The athletic director may even come aboard and make a long post about it.

It's a joke. We've been sold. Or, at least, some of you have. Half a continent away, another man who interviewed for our vacant head coaching position last winter took his 1-4 team into Los Angeles and walked away with a win over Southern Cal. Amazingly, Jim Harbaugh did it with no high school coaches on his staff.

Schools who have been I-A less than ten years sit in the Top 5 of the AP poll. Somehow, they've gotten the resources to pay a real, bona fide college football coach over $1 million dollars a year. Somehow, they play in a stadium that's not on campus and it doesn't matter. They've wedged their way into a BCS conference with no football history or past. Just somehow did it.

So, here we sit. Watching our high school coaching staff stand on the sideline of rainy Lafayette. Desperately going for nearly every fourth down. Even though many were fourth and very short, we convert only three all night. The one in my mind that sticks out the most is the one where the "QB that gives us the best chance to win" was unable to decide whether to hand off or keep on a Fourth and One, so he did a little of both and we lost yards.

Genius.

As our receivers nurse their ribs and kidneys from the "QB that gives us the best chance to win"'s constant high throws, we are expected to sit back and just throw butterfly kisses at the whole affair.

Screw it.

The real truth is, our school isn't serious about football. Our new president knows so little about it, she allowed the athletic director to hire a high school coach. Then, she and the athletic director sat aside and tried to pump everyone full of sunshine when he then hired a full crew of high school assistants. The board cares so little about it, they simply sat aside and signed whatever contract needed to be signed. They're off losing the battle to get a law school. No need to bother with football when you're losing political battles in other more important arenas, anyway.

Our athletic department is so pathetic, the athletic director signs on and posts on fan message boards. But, because he can't do it every day, he has a flunky out to review it for him. And, like the paranoid idiots they are, accuse people who disagree with their constant circus of being assistant coaches.

Yes, it's absolutely true. Instead of going out and doing real work and fundraising, they are busy monitoring a fan message board. It's laughable to think guys like DeLoss Dodds or Joe Castiglione would do the same. But, there I go again, looking at other programs with authentic athletic directors and expecting us to have the same.

So, congratulations to Jim Harbaugh, who with "players he inherited" slayed the biggest giant of all-time, point spread-wise, in its own backyard. Unheard of because they only threw the ball 30 times...and only needed to complete 11 of them to win! What's more, their defensive coordinator only had 14 or 15 years of collegiate experience on the defensive side of the ball, the last dozen or so as a defensive coordinator. I wonder what he'll do when Stanford fans "give him time to adjust to the college game."

We can't expect that at UNT. With the third largest enrollment in the state of Texas, we must sit and wait and wait and wait. Even though our athletic department has already proved they can't raise funds even in the midst of a streak of four bowl appearances. We're relegated to bypassing the Jim Harbaughs of the world for high school coaches and their friends around the Metroplex. We're relegated to watching new stadiums spring up or be renovated on campuses with undergraduate enrollments of less than 3,000 (Tulsa) or on commuter schools campuses (Central Florida).

It's a joke. A hoax. Some of us understand it. Others, blindly, do not. It took no more than watching a QB on an 0-5 team to ramble 73 yards to the end zone on the first play of the second half to snap me fully into reality. I should have known it when our high school genius was going for two points after a touchdown in the second quarter! I should have read it in Fitzgerald's eyes all night as he kept glaring back at the sideline as he leapt for errant pass after errant pass and getting his ribs and kidneys pounded on worthless -2 to 2 yard pass plays.

Welcome, fellow UNT fans, to the domain of Rick Villareal, Gretchen Bataille, Todd Dodge, and the Fabulous Sleeping Board of Directors. They've sold us the biggest con job in the history of college football. Bigger than OU hiring John Blake. Bigger than Notre Dame hiring Gerry Faust. And, yes, even bigger than Texas A&M hiring Dennis Franchione.

It's a rip off. No more money or support until the carnival barkers are gone.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Ah, here we are at 0-5. Only the game against FIU looks promising now. We have a QB starting now whose passes look like punts. The only question is who will field them, us or our opponent?

It's Todd Dodge's way of waving the white flag on 2007. And, yet, for some reason, he and our genius athletic director who hired him will expect us to bite the baited hook of "rebuilding, learning curve" and a bunch of other complete crap. The athletic director may even come aboard and make a long post about it.

It's a joke. We've been sold. Or, at least, some of you have. Half a continent away, another man who interviewed for our vacant head coaching position last winter took his 1-4 team into Los Angeles and walked away with a win over Southern Cal. Amazingly, Jim Harbaugh did it with no high school coaches on his staff.

Schools who have been I-A less than ten years sit in the Top 5 of the AP poll. Somehow, they've gotten the resources to pay a real, bona fide college football coach over $1 million dollars a year. Somehow, they play in a stadium that's not on campus and it doesn't matter. They've wedged their way into a BCS conference with no football history or past. Just somehow did it.

So, here we sit. Watching our high school coaching staff stand on the sideline of rainy Lafayette. Desperately going for nearly every fourth down. Even though many were fourth and very short, we convert only three all night. The one in my mind that sticks out the most is the one where the "QB that gives us the best chance to win" was unable to decide whether to hand off or keep on a Fourth and One, so he did a little of both and we lost yards.

Genius.

As our receivers nurse their ribs and kidneys from the "QB that gives us the best chance to win"'s constant high throws, we are expected to sit back and just throw butterfly kisses at the whole affair.

Screw it.

The real truth is, our school isn't serious about football. Our new president knows so little about it, she allowed the athletic director to hire a high school coach. Then, she and the athletic director sat aside and tried to pump everyone full of sunshine when he then hired a full crew of high school assistants. The board cares so little about it, they simply sat aside and signed whatever contract needed to be signed. They're off losing the battle to get a law school. No need to bother with football when you're losing political battles in other more important arenas, anyway.

Our athletic department is so pathetic, the athletic director signs on and posts on fan message boards. But, because he can't do it every day, he has a flunky out to review it for him. And, like the paranoid idiots they are, accuse people who disagree with their constant circus.

Yes, it's absolutely true. Instead of going out and doing real work and fundraising, they are busy monitoring a fan message board. It's laughable to think guys like DeLoss Dodds or Joe Castiglione would do the same. But, there I go again, looking at other programs with authentic athletic directors and expecting us to have the same.

So, congratulations to Jim Harbaugh, who with "players he inherited" slayed the biggest giant of all-time, point spread-wise, in its own backyard. Unheard of because they ony threw the ball 30 times. And, their defensive coordinator only had 14 or 15 years of collegiate experience on the defensive side of the ball, the last dozen or so as a defensive coordinator.

We can't expect that at UNT. With the third largest enrollment in the state of Texas, we must sit and wait and wait and wait. Even though our athletic department has already proved they can't raise funds even in the midst of a streak of four bowl appearances. We're relegated to bypassing the Jim Harbaughs of the world for high school coaches and their friends around the Metroplex. We're relegated to watching new stadiums spring up or be renovated on campuses with undergraduate enrollments of less than 3,000 (Tulsa) or on commuter schools campuses (Central Florida).

It's a joke. A hoax. Some of us understand it. Others, blindly, do not. It took no more than watching a QB on an 0-5 team to ramble 73 yards to the end zone on the first play of the second half to snap me fully into reality. I should have known when our high school genius was going for two points after a touchdown in the second quarter! I should have read it in Fitzgerald's eyes all night as he kept glaring back at the sideline as he leapt for errant pass after errant pass and getting his ribs and kidneys pounded on worthless -2 to 2 yard pass plays.

Welcome, fellow UNT fans, to the domain of Rick Villareal, Gretchen Bataille, Todd Dodge, and the Fabulous Sleeping Board of Directors. They've sold us the biggest con job in the history of college football. Bigger than OU hiring John Blake. Bigger than Notre Dame hiring Gerry Faust. And, yes, even bigger than Texas A&M hiring Dennis Franchione.

Finch,

Lately, I've agreed with many of your posts and will say that I was hoping Harbaugh would be hired here instead of Dodge. However, I think you're not being as "open minded" as you should be. Considering our options, Dodge was a very good candidate & choice. We needed someone who REALLY wants to be here. Someone who's looking to break into the college game and turn a program around so he can "move" on to bigger and better things. Dodge was a perfect fit, IMO.

I think he's earned a 3 year window to turn things around. Anything less wouldn't be "fair".

Criticism, on the other hand, comes with the job. That I wont argue with & Dodge should be criticised for what's transpired these last 5 weeks.

bye then I hope you enjoy cheering for you other teams.

If you do not see Dodge as a step-up from DD then I guess you will donate the needed $30 million+ needed to catch up to others or better yet you can force the students to accept and increase in fees to fund athletics and put yourself on the hiring committee. I am sure RV and Baitille would love to have your obvious expertise.

Oh well keep railing on the program it will only get better. BTW what did Vizza do that Meager did not do? He did not turn it over late in the game, unfortunately the defense did not stiffen up for him to ahve a shot at winning the game, this came from a Freshman and not a RS-Junior.

Wow, that was kinda harsh Finch. Just remember how happy and excited most of you were when Dodge was hired. "He's the obvious choice." "We need to get Dodge in here." and all that stuff. He has done wonders with the offense, my opinion. He's a good coach. I just hope he turns it around before his 3 years are up.

Genius.

Screw it.

Our athletic department is so pathetic, the athletic director signs on and posts on fan message boards. But, because he can't do it every day, he has a flunky out to review it for him. And, like the paranoid idiots they are, accuse people who disagree with their constant circus of being assistant coaches.

So, congratulations to Jim Harbaugh, who with "players he inherited" slayed the biggest giant of all-time, point spread-wise, in its own backyard. Unheard of because they only threw the ball 30 times...and only needed to complete 11 of them to win! What's more, their defensive coordinator only had 14 or 15 years of collegiate experience on the defensive side of the ball, the last dozen or so as a defensive coordinator. I wonder what he'll do when Stanford fans "give him time to adjust to the college game."

It's a joke. A hoax. Some of us understand it. Others, blindly, do not. It took no more than watching a QB on an 0-5 team to ramble 73 yards to the end zone on the first play of the second half to snap me fully into reality. I should have known it when our high school genius was going for two points after a touchdown in the second quarter! I should have read it in Fitzgerald's eyes all night as he kept glaring back at the sideline as he leapt for errant pass after errant pass and getting his ribs and kidneys pounded on worthless -2 to 2 yard pass plays.

Yawn. Don't you have anything new to say? It's the same thing over and over and over again. We all get it by now. You are smarter than all the rest of us. Let's just change the name to Golonnie.com and be done with it.

So, Fake Lonnie, what you are basically saying is that there is no hope for UNT regardless of what anyone does? I am sure your enthusiasm is absolutely contagious in your home and place of employment. I am glad we have a president and AD who care about the success of UNT football, and are willing to take chances to see it succeed. Five games does not prove that the chance taken in hiring Dodge and his staff have been a failure.

And harping on RV for occasionally posting on the message board is absurd. A smart AD will want to mingle with the fans from time to time, and an occasion fifteen minutes to review what's being said and possibly make a post is not a bad investment of time. Most of us greatly appreciate his participation.