Not Nt Football Related: Coach Fran Possibly In Trouble

Don't be so quick to point fingers about this. I know for a fact that Dennis Parker use to meet with donors on Thursdays for home games and give access to information and would have something printed up for out of town games.

DD did something very similar to Parker and if I was a betting man Dodge does to. This is something that happens at every D1 school and there doesn't seem to be anything illegal about it.

Now with that said, there are plenty of other things to get Franchione canned, but this isn't one of them. If that was the case, there would be many schools without a coach.

Don't be so quick to point fingers about this. I know for a fact that Dennis Parker use to meet with donors on Thursdays for home games and give access to information and would have something printed up for out of town games.

DD did something very similar to Parker and if I was a betting man Dodge does to. This is something that happens at every D1 school and there doesn't seem to be anything illegal about it.

Now with that said, there are plenty of other things to get Franchione canned, but this isn't one of them. If that was the case, there would be many schools without a coach.

Telling friends or those affilliated with the school things you don't tell the press or public at large is not the problem. The problem comes when you sell that information for $1200 a pop. Was Dennis Parker trying to profiteer off the information he had like Franchione is? I hardly think so.

Telling friends or those affilliated with the school things you don't tell the press or public at large is not the problem. The problem comes when you sell that information for $1200 a pop. Was Dennis Parker trying to profiteer off the information he had like Franchione is? I hardly think so.

Yes, each coach does it. Do you think Parker invited everyone to that meeting. You had to be a big money contributor. Just like Beamer, Meyers, Brown, Stoops and such. They don't give info, they sell info. It makes the big money contributors feel special.

Yes, each coach does it. Do you think Parker invited everyone to that meeting. You had to be a big money contributor. Just like Beamer, Meyers, Brown, Stoops and such. They don't give info, they sell info. It makes the big money contributors feel special.

Well, yes maybe he had a private meeting for the donors but the question is did he take cash INTO HIS OWN POCKET? I think that might be the difference. And for the record if Parker did that he would also have been foolish. But Fran is being stupid with zeros on the end.

Edited by Stan R

You are comparing apples to oranges. Or at least to oranges with light artificial apple flavoring. Yes, every athletic department has "perks" for its big donors. But this is not the same as a coach accepting $1200 for himself personally in exchange for inside information.

To quote the article, "It offered Franchione's candid assessments of players and specific injury information, details Franchione routinely declined to discuss publicly because, he would say, it is not "our policy" to disclose injuries.

Edited by Eagle-96

To quote the article, "It offered Franchione's candid assessments of players and specific injury information, details Franchione routinely declined to discuss publicly because, he would say, it is not "our policy" to disclose injuries.

He wasn't discussing it publicly, you had to buy it. :P

I don't have a problem with him having an exclusive newsletter for big boosters, as long as the money went into the program. Most programs have big givers that get perks like sideline passes or team trips for donating something. Heck, I'd like to get a private email from TD on what's going on inside the program. Some of us have suggested that MGC donors get special access to (closed) spring practices as a perk. Nothing wrong with a perk for those that can afford to pay, again if the program benefits.

But did they receive money in exchange for that information??

There could be legal issues.

The NCAA might frown on a coach revealing inside information that could very well be used for gambling purposes (what gambler wouldn't pay for inside informaton from a major-college coach?).

I also wonder if Coach Fran disclosed this income to the IRS. Twelve boosters at $1200 each is $14,400, and that's a lot of money to "underwrite" a website. Expensive web hosting is $30 a month. The most outrageous hosting fee I've ever heard of is $6,000. And if his staff was doing the site, then there's not cost for an outside designer or writer.

There could also be privacy considerations if he's revealing confidential medical information about his players. I suppose it could violate federal HIPAA regulations.