Sun Belt Poll

MeanGreen61

From the Muts board. Sun Belt poll from the Lafayette Daily Advertiser.

7.) UNT (0-2, 0-0)

Call them Air Green. UNT threw for 601 yards against SMU last weekend, with wide out Casey Fitzgerald getting 327 of those yards by himself. And still, the Mean Green lost by two touchdowns. UNT has allowed 124 points in two games, dead last nationally. Giving up points against Oklahoma is one thing, but SMU getting 45 is another.

LAST WEEK: Seventh.

SUN BELT POLL

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../709120314/1006

After two weeks of play, where do you see the Mean Green finishing this year in the Belt ?

Guest GrayEagleOne

7.) UNT (0-2, 0-0)

Call them Air Green. UNT threw for 601 yards against SMU last weekend, with wide out Casey Fitzgerald getting 327 of those yards by himself. And still, the Mean Green lost by two touchdowns. UNT has allowed 124 points in two games, dead last nationally. Giving up points against Oklahoma is one thing, but SMU getting 45 is another.

SUN BELT POLL

After two weeks of play, where do you see the Mean Green finishing this year in the Belt ?

It's really hard to call at this point but today I'd say tied for 5th. I think that they are better than FIU and Louisiana and about equal with ULM.

The car people, Dodge and Ford, can (and pretty much have) gotten the offense in sync. The problem is the defense. It just doesn't seem to be a fraction of what it was last year. It's mostly the same players, so it must be the coaching. Not that they were great last year but this year's bunch is near last in the nation in all defensive categories. I might have to take that back. I didn't check for run defense statistics and we seem to be a little better there. However, anyone that can throw on us will and have the best odds for a completion.

Now, if the defense can be fixed this year then I think a conference title is not out of the question.

7.) UNT (0-2, 0-0)

SUN BELT POLL

Of course there are always the intangibles that no one really knows what will happen, but that is not a bad article from the outside. I think we will finish higher though.

I agree with GrayEagle, that North Texas does have a shot

at winning the SBC this year. For the OOC games, I do not

think we can beat Arkansas, and for Navy, this game will

be a shoot out, with the last team to score will win the game.

Navy has the double wing triple option, ran by experienced

players, very quick, and they do pass when the time is right.

To win the SBC, I think NT will need some help from the other

conference teams defeating Troy and Ark State also.

I agree with GrayEagle, that North Texas does have a shot

at winning the SBC this year. For the OOC games, I do not

think we can beat Arkansas, and for Navy, this game will

be a shoot out, with the last team to score will win the game.

Navy has the double wing triple option, ran by experienced

players, very quick, and they do pass when the time is right.

To win the SBC, I think NT will need some help from the other

conference teams defeating Troy and Ark State also.

Good thing about Navy is that they run the option and really won't exploit our DB's like Bradford and Willis did. Hopefully we will be able to load the box and tee off on the run game.

Edited by StealthEagle84

I don't see how we compete for the crown this year... I LOVE where the team is headed, but we have league mates who are beating and hanging with ranked and other bigger OOC schools. The level of competition is the highest ever in the belt this year. We have to be better than we were when we were tearing up the league 4 years straight, and we aren't yet... probably won't be this year.

It's really hard to call at this point but today I'd say tied for 5th. I think that they are better than FIU and Louisiana and about equal with ULM.

The car people, Dodge and Ford, can (and pretty much have) gotten the offense in sync. The problem is the defense. It just doesn't seem to be a fraction of what it was last year. It's mostly the same players, so it must be the coaching. Not that they were great last year but this year's bunch is near last in the nation in all defensive categories. I might have to take that back. I didn't check for run defense statistics and we seem to be a little better there. However, anyone that can throw on us will and have the best odds for a completion.

Now, if the defense can be fixed this year then I think a conference title is not out of the question.

I wouldn't be too eager to blame the coaching yet. I would say a lot has to do with the fact that our guys aren't used to such short drives. Even a Dickey 3 (runs) and out took up more time than our 1:45 99 yard scoring drive. More than anything we need to get deeper on defense so we can rotate more players in and out and keep the guys on the field fresher. If you watched OU and SMU late in both the first and second halfs the guys looked tired out there and it showed. I think the conditioning will come as the season continues and I expect next year to see a much deeper team as well with more talent top to bottom on the depth chart.