Rutgers Fans Hurl Obscenities At Navy

LongJim

How about our fans chanting "bull sh*t" after every call that went against us? I guess it makes us seem more big time, but I think it:

a) Makes you sound like a moron.

B) Makes you sound like a moron who doesn't understand the rules of football.

I'm probably not alone in thinking this: Anybody cursing at the Navy team, coaches, fans, waterboy, band, or bus driver should be banned from Fouts. And I'm really not kidding.

I don't really expect that kind of behavior. I expect an extended standing ovation for these guys, whether we win, lose, or draw.

But if tortilla-tossing is cause for removal from the park, as they say, cursing the service in which my dad served in World War II is cause for a season-long ban. In fact, that's the mildest thing I can think of for such.

Guest GrayEagleOne

You are definitly not alone in your your thinking about disrespectful behavior toward any branch of the service. I am ex-Navy and I believe that Mean Green 61 and Island Eagle are also. There could be others. I can assure you that we support your point of view.

I hope that you are right about our behavior at that game (or any other for that matter). I'm deeply concerned about what this world has become and is becoming. We don't often use the word 'sportsmanship' anymore and that is sad. The practice of sportsmanship is also becoming rarer and rarer.

Profanity has no place at the stadium. Football is a family event. We bring our wives, children and grandchildren and they do not need to be subjected to such language. Criticism is one thing but abusive language has no place at a public gathering.

KICK NAVY's ASSES ALL OVER THE FIELD FROM THE BEGINNING BOOMER-SHOT TO THE END. But let there be not one word of disrespect uttered to any Navy player or fan. I plan to go out of my way to make one or more of them feel welcome and I know there are many here that will do the same. I was Army, on my father's advice (he was also Army); his philosophy was "they can blow up my truck but I can walk; if they sink my ship, I'm SOL". :)

I loathe the profanity that passes for smack talk today and the general vulgarity that seems at times to overwhelm our culture.

That said.

Navy ball players (or Army or Air Force) deserve no different treatment than any other opponent.

They are undertaking a challenging career choice but that deserves no more respect than the kid who took two years out of his life to be a missionary, the kid wanting to get a teaching degree and go work in the inner city, the guys going on to be cops, firefighters, the future med school guys who will end up doing a lot of stuff for free to help others, a guy like Oren O'Neal who walked on, slept on friend's couches until he earned a scholarship then lost a year due to a medical condition that resulted in losing part of his lung, yet still made the NFL.

Until we expect fans to back off every player with noble ambitions and career choices, the academies don't get a pass. When they walk on the football field they don't represent the United States of America vs. a foreign foe. They represent one of the 120 FBS schools against another school.

That is shocking. Who wants to win with fans like that. If I was the Rutgers coach, a player or a university leader I would walk over to the student section and tell the to shut the hell up. How is that allowed to go on without be checked in some fashion by school leaders? The article makes it sound like a regular occurrence at home games.

You are definitly not alone in your your thinking about disrespectful behavior toward any branch of the service. I am ex-Navy and I believe that Mean Green 61 and Island Eagle are also. There could be others. I can assure you that we support your point of view.

I hope that you are right about our behavior at that game (or any other for that matter). I'm deeply concerned about what this world has become and is becoming. We don't often use the word 'sportsmanship' anymore and that is sad. The practice of sportsmanship is also becoming rarer and rarer.

Profanity has no place at the stadium. Football is a family event. We bring our wives, children and grandchildren and they do not need to be subjected to such language. Criticism is one thing but abusive language has no place at a public gathering.

FKBWEVITIRNTPKV.20070911152118.jpg

Mean Green football ......... fun for the whole family !

(yep former Navy. Proud to have served and my son is a former Marine)

Edited by MeanGreen61

I loathe the profanity that passes for smack talk today and the general vulgarity that seems at times to overwhelm our culture.

That said.

Navy ball players (or Army or Air Force) deserve no different treatment than any other opponent.

They are undertaking a challenging career choice but that deserves no more respect than the kid who took two years out of his life to be a missionary, the kid wanting to get a teaching degree and go work in the inner city, the guys going on to be cops, firefighters, the future med school guys who will end up doing a lot of stuff for free to help others, a guy like Oren O'Neal who walked on, slept on friend's couches until he earned a scholarship then lost a year due to a medical condition that resulted in losing part of his lung, yet still made the NFL.

Until we expect fans to back off every player with noble ambitions and career choices, the academies don't get a pass. When they walk on the football field they don't represent the United States of America vs. a foreign foe. They represent one of the 120 FBS schools against another school.

I don't disagree with anything you say here. Many people use college, and college athletics in particular, to launch admirable careers. They are just as deserving. And the academies don't get a pass.

However, during a time when any one of the Navy seniors could be walking in an Iraqi neighborhood a month after graduation (yes, there are Navy people on the ground there) and take one more step and have his legs blown off, I don't think an extra thank you is out of order, or that it denigrates anyone else's different form of contribution for us to give it.

I don't disagree with anything you say here. Many people use college, and college athletics in particular, to launch admirable careers. They are just as deserving. And the academies don't get a pass.

However, during a time when any one of the Navy seniors could be walking in an Iraqi neighborhood a month after graduation (yes, there are Navy people on the ground there) and take one more step and have his legs blown off, I don't think an extra thank you is out of order, or that it denigrates anyone else's different form of contribution for us to give it.

A better solution is treat all players as hard working young men who deserve respect and not hurled profanity.

I don't know squat about Navy or its fans. Army has some great fans who can liven up a tailgate with some good stories and a handful of whiners who felt their school was disrespected because our band played the fight song and our team sang it to the fans at home rather than sitting quietly while they sang to the 200-300 fans they had at ASU.

This is another sad example of a generation of kids growing up with zero respect for anyone, least of all themselves.

Agreed. And before this gets off-topic into a discussion of the relative merits of different schools' fans, etc., let's realize that every school, including ours, has some of these folks. I heard a few of them at the SMU game.

As corny as it sounds, it's our responsibility to set examples and gently (ahem, cough, cough) counsel our fellows on common decency, both in the stands and, for that matter, on this board.

FKBWEVITIRNTPKV.20070911152118.jpg

Mean Green football ......... fun for the whole family !

(yep former Navy. Proud to have served and my son is a former Marine)

Hey, wow ... MeanGreen 61 ... thanks for the picture!

I'm cruising along reading this thread 'bout ready to go to bed & then I'm like, whoa, that's my kid's picture. :o I never would have known about the "meet your buddy" recap on the Athletics website if it weren't for that post. My wife is busy e-mailing the link to her folks as I'm typing this. Thanks again!

I absolutely agree. Mean Green football IS fun for the whole family.

My my...how quickly Rutgers voices have deepened now that their balls have finally dropped and they noticed a few springs of hair developing in that most intimate of areas. This program was a laughing stock 2 years ago...a symbol of ineptness in college football. Anyone who has been with me at a UNT basketball game knows I love to heckle...but this is just dumb. Once the recruiting scandals come out and the NCAA figures out why so many athelete have ended up in the 9th ward of the Eastern Seaboard - Piscataway, New Jersey...Rutgers will be right back to being a bottom feeder of the NCAA...and as much as one might hope that Navy fans will greet them similarly once they option them to death for a 55-3 win...they'll show they have too much class.

Edited by Censored by Laurie

Agreed. And before this gets off-topic into a discussion of the relative merits of different schools' fans, etc., let's realize that every school, including ours, has some of these folks. I heard a few of them at the SMU game.

As corny as it sounds, it's our responsibility to set examples and gently (ahem, cough, cough) counsel our fellows on common decency, both in the stands and, for that matter, on this board.

No question every school has them and pretty much always has. The difference is letting that mob rule.