Attention Smu And Tcu!

Green Lantern

Ok, after last weekends game at SMU, I'm officially beaten down by the fact that SMU-NT-TCU don't all play each other on a yearly basis. The game at SMU was great as were the pre-game festivities. Kudos to the NT athletic department for a great set up for the fans and kudos to SMU for a unique pre game "tailgate" setup.

The fan turnout for NT was great. By far the most enthusiastic and energetic traveling crowd that I've been apart of (minus the NO Bowls). All week prior to the game, we got great local media coverage, and there really seemed to be a great feeling about these two programs playing each other again. This was similar to last year's game here at Fouts. The last time that we had a 1-1 series with TCU, similar things happend. Great travelling fanbases to all school's home stadiums, positive local media coverage, and great gameday atmosphere.

All three of these schools bitch about being an after thought when it comes to Metroplex media coverage and being the step children to the Big 12 teams...well, do something about it!!! It's obvious that the fans want to see these games, the money has to be pretty good for the schools involved, rivalry's that people give a $hit about can be created, and local media is more or less forced to give you attention.

My question...How can we not get these games scheduled every year?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, after last weekends game at SMU, I'm officially beaten down by the fact that SMU-NT-TCU don't all play each other on a yearly basis. The game at SMU was great as were the pre-game festivities. Kudos to the NT athletic department for a great set up for the fans and kudos to SMU for a unique pre game "tailgate" setup.

The fan turnout for NT was great. By far the most enthusiastic and energetic traveling crowd that I've been apart of (minus the NO Bowls). All week prior to the game, we got great local media coverage, and there really seemed to be a great feeling about these two programs playing each other again. This was similar to last year's game here at Fouts. The last time that we had a 1-1 series with TCU, similar things happend. Great travelling fanbases to all school's home stadiums, positive local media coverage, and great gameday atmosphere.

All three of these schools bitch about being an after thought when it comes to Metroplex media coverage and being the step children to the Big 12 teams...well, do something about it!!! It's obvious that the fans want to see these games, the money has to be pretty good for the schools involved, rivalry's that people give a $hit about can be created, and local media is more or less forced to give you attention.

My question...How can we not get these games scheduled every year?

Don't know if it will ever happen annually, but how many other times do you see full page coverage from several beat-writers for SMU, UNT and TCU in the Sunday Dallas Morning News? And all that happening because they play each other.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The three university presidents could do it with the stroke of a pen. Unfortunately, it will probably never happen.

That's the fact that is the most sickening thing about it. I'm aware of the politics between the different Universities, as well as the idea of "perception" that is keeping this from happening. All of this boils down to robbing the fans from what could be a yearly tradition that all involved could rally around.

I believe that the metroplex teams should play as many games in as many sports as possible. However, it is a big stretch to think it could ever develop into a rivalry remotely close to UT/OU. TCU and SMU have played forever, the crowds at those games have been far from spectacular. NT had a great crowd for the SMU game, most I have seen at an away game except the NO bowls and the first UT game; but SMU's attendance in Denton was very disappointing. Apparently RV has proposed an extension of the series to SMU. It seems to me that SMU actually has more to gain then NT from continuing this series. I will be happy if the series continued because in effect it is like adding another home game not because I think it is any big deal getting to play the once mighty mustangs.

Actually, TCU and SMU have very little to gain in a series with UNT (except ticket sales). If we beat you, it doesn't mean anything (in terms of respect for our program) and if you beat us, we lose creditability.

You have an exciting team, a great band and brought a nice crowd to our campus. Thank you.

But to say we have more to gain than you do----I don't think that is accurate.

Actually, TCU and SMU have very little to gain in a series with UNT (except ticket sales). If we beat you, it doesn't mean anything (in terms of respect for our program) and if you beat us, we lose creditability.

You have an exciting team, a great band and brought a nice crowd to our campus. Thank you.

This was a surprising post to me from an SMU fan. You might be right with TCU; however, with SMU there is much to gain. SMU has not had a team as good as UNT in a long time. This win on Sat. was huge for you guys.

Typical SMU nose-in-the-air arrogance, completed with a mis-spelled word. Creditability - how does Webster's define that??

We'll be sure to wave as we pass you by in the next few years!!

Sorry, and I expect this will be deleted, but that is complete bullshit. Trust me, SMU's program has fallen behind NT's. Why you ask, let me list the reasons.

1. When was the last time SMU went to a bowl game?

2. When was the last time SMU went to a bowl game with a team that didn't have a payroll rivalling the Cowboys?

3. You and the SMU faithful are on a "death watch" with Coach Bennett, while we have a new coach in place that has brought us more positive media attention than we have ever had and will bring us a winner.

4. SMUt lives on its past, way in the past, accomplishments.

5. NT lives on the excitement of its future.

This isn't about SMU having very little to gain by playing NT, it is about SMU being afraid of what a large successful Metroplex public program will do to your little private, pun intended, program. TCU has the same fear, but not as much as SMU, due to their recent and consistent success. Get over yourself and don't come on here making backhanded comments about my university and my team. SMU made their bed years ago when you decided to blatantly cheat and thumb your nose at the NCAA, live with the consequences.

Actually, it was not huge for us, it was "expected" of us. (Just as we were "expected" to lose to Tech.) Many of our fans are disappointed because we allowed you to run up so many yards and we didn't beat you "bad enough".

As to how long it has been since we had a team as good as yours, other than last year I believe it has been a while since we played you.....and I think we lead the series....

Anyway, its just a matter of perspective and opinion and I am quite confident the university won't be consulting with me. ;)

Actually, it was not huge for us, it was "expected" of us. (Just as we were "expected" to lose to Tech.) Many of our fans are disappointed because we allowed you to run up so many yards and we didn't beat you "bad enough".

As to how long it has been since we had a team as good as yours, other than last year I believe it has been a while since we played you.....and I think we lead the series....

Anyway, its just a matter of perspective and opinion and I am quite confident the university won't be consulting with me. ;)

Hey, we've been willing to play you for years, but being a typical Pony you chose to run. Rattle off the record between SMU and NT all you want. I don't think anything prior to 1970 is terribly relavent today. In fact, nothing is probably relevant prior to SMU receiving the much deserved death penalty. What's the series record since then? SMU needs to lose the elitist attitude it wears so well.

Oh, and based off of the comments on your board, most of your fans were surprised you won.

Sorry....actually I came here to say nice things about your school and your team. And to have a friendly discussion. But its your board, not mine so I'll happily go away.

I'm also sorry about my spelling. Like many people I obviously depend too much on spell check. I was also eliminated from the 6th grade spelling bee on a much easier word than that.

Keep hating on SMU if that makes you feel better.

Sorry....actually I came here to say nice things about your school and your team. And to have a friendly discussion. But its your board, not mine so I'll happily go away.

I'm also sorry about my spelling. Like many people I obviously depend too much on spell check. I was also eliminated from the 6th grade spelling bee on a much easier word than that.

Keep hating on SMU if that makes you feel better.

You are welcome to come on here and say "nice things" about our school and team. You are also welcome to have a friendly discussion, but this smacks of elitism and is a perfect example of why SMU is so disliked:

I was just responding to the poster who said SMU has more to gain than UNT which, in my opinion, is not true. Sorry to offend.

Glad to have you on board Poneez. Please stop by more often.

Who "expected" you to win this game? CUSA? Vegas?

You also talk about SMU losing respect by losing to us? Where is this respect coming from? Outside of Park Cities, who really, I mean really cares what SMU does?

Why all the trouble attracting fans to the games if the expectations and respect is so high for your program?

Our fans "expected" us to win. (And by "expected", I don't mean as in we took your team lightly.)

Since I don't live in the Park Cities, I guess I am one person outside of that area that really cares. (I think if the truth were known, we don't have that many students from the Park Cities. Most of them prefer to go further away to college.)

We're all aware of the trouble we have attracting people to our games. We have not had much success on the field in many years. We compete with many other attractions in Dallas. We don't have that many living alumni, period----nothing compared to a large state school.

We are excited about our program and are trying to rebuild it----just as you are for your own program.

Our fans "expected" us to win. (And by "expected", I don't mean as in we took your team lightly.)

I think truth be told...most UNT posters on here thought the exact same way...or else we wouldn't have said a second straight loss to UNT would've cost Phil Bennett his job.

Thats certainly not saying that SMU as a program is better currently...and the ceiling sure seems higher for UNT. This is PB's 5th(?) season...and there is very little to show for it...in a conference that frankly isn't that strong. If no bowl game this year, PB's gone and I have seen nothing to indicate (past the expensive SUV's on Mockingbird and Airport) that SMU has anything that would really entice a high profile coach...so you'd be right back to rebuilding in 08.

I'm glad you're on the board Poneez...I would just suggest being a bit more aware of your wording...there are many of us who believe that every pony fan has thought that last year was 1982 for the past 25 years...and a particularly smart and valid point like the one you made regarding expectations may be clouded by our biases.

Hope to hear more from you.

You are welcome to come on here and say "nice things" about our school and team. You are also welcome to have a friendly discussion, but this smacks of elitism and is a perfect example of why SMU is so disliked:

It's not elitism. It's the general perception (e.g. what the nation, as well as the DFW area) of a university's program. No one is saying we have the credibility of UT, A&M, or Tech, but it doesn't help our cause to increase success if we lose to a bad UNT team. (Yes I said bad, because it is bad when you gain over 600 yards and still lose.)

Now on that note, I'd like to say I want the series to continue because you guys offer an interesting combination of financial opportunities and local attention to SMU football in a way that playing USM, UCF, and Memphis can't.

Disliked by who? UNT? You seem to have this belief that the Dallas area is anti-SMU, which is just wrong. Sadly, it's mainly apathetic except in close proximity to the university. We win, people get behind the team. That's just the way Dallas fans are.

If you like thinking all of SMU is pastel polos and khakis, Burberry and Gucci, BMW and Lexus, making everyone an uppity, nose turned up snob then go right ahead. There's not a need for Poneez to apologize, in my opinion. You guys need to lay off and chill out.

I think truth be told...most UNT posters on here thought the exact same way...or else we wouldn't have said a second straight loss to UNT would've cost Phil Bennett his job.

Thats certainly not saying that SMU as a program is better currently...and the ceiling sure seems higher for UNT. This is PB's 5th(?) season...and there is very little to show for it...in a conference that frankly isn't that strong. If no bowl game this year, PB's gone and I have seen nothing to indicate (past the expensive SUV's on Mockingbird and Airport) that SMU has anything that would really entice a high profile coach...so you'd be right back to rebuilding in 08.

And those fools are already talking about stealing Todd and Riley away from us...as if they offer a more promising career opportunity. :rolleyes:

It's not elitism. It's the general perception (e.g. what the nation, as well as the DFW area) of a university's program. No one is saying we have the credibility of UT, A&M, or Tech, but it doesn't help our cause to increase success if we lose to a bad UNT team. (Yes I said bad, because it is bad when you gain over 600 yards and still lose.)

Now on that note, I'd like to say I want the series to continue because you guys offer an interesting combination of financial opportunities and local attention to SMU football in a way that playing USM, UCF, and Memphis can't.

Disliked by who? UNT? You seem to have this belief that the Dallas area is anti-SMU, which is just wrong. Sadly, it's mainly apathetic except in close proximity to the university. We win, people get behind the team. That's just the way Dallas fans are.

If you like thinking all of SMU is pastel polos and khakis, Burberry and Gucci, BMW and Lexus, making everyone an uppity, nose turned up snob then go right ahead. There's not a need for Poneez to apologize, in my opinion. You guys need to lay off and chill out.

I like pastel polos.

Sorry...got distracted. I'm not sure if you have really ventured outside of Dallas...well...lets say Texas for the past twenty years...but it is difficult enough for TCU to get national attention and they've been a highly successful, large market program for the past 5...and maybe even 10 years if you want to stretch it back to L.T. The last time SMU football got any sort of national attention was 1987...when you were banned from fielding a team. UNT certainly isn't much better...but to have the there is any sort of "national perception" of SMU is just ill-informed...and I may have missed it...but I don't remember SI or the USA Today covering any aspect of the Phil Bennett hire.

Apathy is a good word for Dallas' attitude toward SMU...hell apathy is a good word for Dallas' attitude towards almost everything (see the half empt first quarter of a Mavs final game as example) And I was just barely alive when SMU was winning...so I'm going just on assumption that Dallas wouldn't really change its attitude that much for a number 20 ranked, undefeated Pony team.

There's not a need for Poneez to apologize, in my opinion. You guys need to lay off and chill out.

Your pathetic posters on ponyfans can dish out the insults to us all the time but when we give you a taste of your own medicine, you start crying about it??

I welcome civil discussions between fans/alumni of both schools but don't come over talking about how much better SMU is and that you expect to beat little ole North Texas every year. Your team sucks this year and I'll be surprised if you win four games all season. In fact, I think your defense is one of the few in the nation that is worse than ours right now.

I've got news for you...we expect to beat SMU every year too and, if that contract gets renewed, you better savor this victory because it'll be your last for quite some time!!

Poneez - I will offer you a half-ass apology because I think you did have good intentions, but it was this statement that pissed me off:

If we beat you, it doesn't mean anything (in terms of respect for our program) and if you beat us, we lose creditability.

I challenge you to repeat that statement to Phil Bennett and the SMU football team...please post his response.

I was just responding to the poster who said SMU has more to gain than UNT which, in my opinion, is not true. Sorry to offend.

I thought the "more to gain" reference was specifically related to the statement that NT brought more fans to SMU than SMU brought to NT. So the more to gain was in home attendance numbers and the $ that go with that. Perhaps Grandgreen had something else in mind, but that was how I read it.

Keith