Attention Smu And Tcu!

Green Lantern

If I remember right it was the 85/86 teams that were the final straw, not to mention much worse violations have happened at other schools since. Cough...OU...Cough...Alabama.....excuse me

The SMU football program has never recovered from the NCAA Death Penalty. A 6-5 season in 1997 is the only winning season for SMU’s football team since the Death Penalty. So devistating was the impact of the Death Penlty, the NCAA has not mandated the penalty for any other school, although several schools have had more serious violations than SMU in the last few years, most notibilty Alabama.

SMU & Death penalty

That is a 2003 article

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The general perception is that SMU is a better program because it has more money.

However, SMU (and UNT) need to develop regional rivalries. Both of us play in conferences with opponents that don’t travel well and we suffer from our own fan apathy when playing schools 2-3 states away.

This series is a no brainer for both schools.

This game garnered more local coverage/interest than either us of would have received with any conference opponent in either of our respective conferences.

Moreover, we need to give the local talent a reason to stay home. Every time you turn on the TV and watch a game you always see DFW talent playing at schools you wouldn’t expect. We both lose local recruits to schools like La Tech and Tulane, Houston etc. However, the more important this game becomes the easier it will be to convince recruits that college football is alive and well in the Metroplex.

And while a loss might hurt SMU perception wise in the short run – I believe a win against UNT 4-5 years from now will help SMU (assuming UNT continues to improve). Every year SMU goes 5-6 in a conference with opponents that no one cares about - the distinction between SMU and UNT diminishes. Sooner or later perception catches up with reality.

SMU can have all the money in the world but if joe-blow fan won’t buy their product – it will stagnate or die as a program

This is a GREAT post. Personally, I love the UNT-SMU rivalry and welcome any SMU fans, students, and alumni on the board to make good discussion.

If I remember right it was the 85/86 teams that were the final straw, not to mention much worse violations have happened at other schools since. Cough...OU...Cough...Alabama.....excuse me

SMU & Death penalty

That is a 2003 article

I think the other final straw for SMU, KDL1, was an SMU recruit named David Stanley (from my birthtown, ie, Angleton, TX) that was the icing on the cake for the SMU death penalty. I cannot remember all the details surrounding Stanley, but (as I recall) Dale Hansen put it on his Sunday night show for all to hear. The NCAA Infraction Committee would be in Dallas just a few days later.

I'm amazed that the NCAA ever gave any school the death penalty and I think they have resoloved in their minds not to ever do it again.

SMU & Death penalty

That is a 2003 article

I think the other final straw for SMU, KDL1, was an SMU recruit named David Stanley (from my birthtown, ie, Angleton, TX) that was the icing on the cake for the SMU death penalty. I cannot remember all the details surrounding Stanley, but (as I recall) Dale Hansen put it on his Sunday night show for all to hear. The NCAA Infraction Committee would be in Dallas just a few days later.

I'm amazed that the NCAA ever gave any school the death penalty and I think they are resolved not to ever do it again.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen