My Thoughts About Our Team..

tommyp

I have not posted on here in a while but I do take time ot of my day to read the forums and enjoy it.

I was in attendance in Norman with a few of my buddies to witness the game this weekend and I just wanted to share

a few of my thoughts and see what you guys think?

1) I love the mean green and its players but what the heck is #37 Roman doing on our team. Did I miss

something? First of all he is no biger than 5'8" tall and 165 pounds ( I do not care what the program says).

Here I look down on the field and we have him matched up numerous times man to man with 6'4" 235 pound All-

American Malcolm Kelly!!!! Are you kidding me? You cannot tell me we cannot reruit better DB's than that? Godbless him but

that kid looked horrible defending, running punts back, everything. Please let me know what I am missing here????

2) I thought our offense looked okay but do not get excited with the passing yards. With that style offense we should throw for

300+ yards every game no matter who is back there. I know it is OU so it is tough to measure. As far as Meager, did he not hold the ball

way to long before he released it? The guy is slow, has a mediocre at best arm, and cannot even make a clean hand off to our RB's. Vizza is going to be the starter eventually. Yes, it was the second string he marched doen the field on but you could just tell from his demeanor on the field. The kid was throwing his body in front of people, his ball is thrown alot tighter and harder. He will hurt us sometimes with his "I take chances" thoughts but that is what we need in this offense. Dodge is making a bid mistake going with Meager next week and I predict he will be pulled by the second quarter.

3) finally, I know it was OU and it looks like they are going to be unbeatable this year but........do we have any type of defense? Our D-line looked

okay for going up against guys twice there size. Our corners and safeties are down right horrible. OU could of easily hung 125 on us and scored every possesion if needed. It was truly embarrassing! Our linebackers could not tackle the ocean. I understand we will get these things in the first game but I am getting the feeling that Dodge has that "We will outscore you" mentality alla Texas Tech. He could get away with that in Southlake but if we do not get our defense straightened out it is going to be a very long season no matter how good our offense gets.

Thanks for taking the time and would love to here your feedback? Go MEAN GREEN beat SMU!!!!!

Tommy

3) finally, I know it was OU and it looks like they are going to be unbeatable this year but........do we have any type of defense? Our D-line looked

okay for going up against guys twice there size. Our corners and safeties are down right horrible. OU could of easily hung 125 on us and scored every possesion if needed. It was truly embarrassing! Our linebackers could not tackle the ocean. I understand we will get these things in the first game but I am getting the feeling that Dodge has that "We will outscore you" mentality alla Texas Tech. He could get away with that in Southlake but if we do not get our defense straightened out it is going to be a very long season no matter how good our offense gets.

I strongly disagree. Aaron Weathers was one of the few bright spots we had on Saturday.

I strongly disagree. Aaron Weathers was one of the few bright spots we had on Saturday.

I also disagree. Latif Nurudeen did a good job cleaning up what Roman couldn't handle. He's got speed and can take guys down. I think he'll be outstanding once we play teams that aren't amazing like the Oklahoma Sooners.

I also disagree. Latif Nurudeen did a good job cleaning up what Roman couldn't handle. He's got speed and can take guys down. I think he'll be outstanding once we play teams that aren't amazing like the Oklahoma Sooners.

You both make good points. Weathers was great, but you cannot have someone cleaning up our DB's mistakes all game. Bottom line, it does not matter who we play, whoever lines up against Roman will have a field day! That is what worries me. There has to be a better corner on our roster.

Agree about the Roman kid. Maybe the coaches know something I don't, but he honestly looked like a young high schooler out there trying to keep up with college players. He is pretty quick, but man did the kid get torched. I say let him be used on special teams where he can hide behing the wedge and then bounce it outside and such, but not CB. It's too critical of a position.

My opinion will be unpopular but that is why it is my opinion and not yours.

I think the only knocks on Evyn are size and top end speed. He is very quick. From what I saw, the only times he got torched were when Malcolm Kelly's top speed was just faster due to the longer legs. I don't think he got outplayed as much as outsized. On the shorter routes, he was right on top of the receivers, they just had the size and strength to make the catch anyway. He did bring them down immediately. I know he got juked out of his jock by Malcolm Kelly on the play after the out of bounds catch but other than that, the only thing I can knock is the OU receivers were just bigger, stronger, and faster than he was.

My opinion will be unpopular but that is why it is my opinion and not yours.

I think the only knocks on Evyn are size and top end speed. He is very quick. From what I saw, the only times he got torched were when Malcolm Kelly's top speed was just faster due to the longer legs. I don't think he got outplayed as much as outsized. On the shorter routes, he was right on top of the receivers, they just had the size and strength to make the catch anyway. He did bring them down immediately. I know he got juked out of his jock by Malcolm Kelly on the play after the out of bounds catch but other than that, the only thing I can knock is the OU receivers were just bigger, stronger, and faster than he was.

Like I said, maybe the coaches see something I don't, but I know one thing, he is going to be tested every game from here on out, so he had better grow up back there in a hurry. The reason OU kept going to his side was because he was so vulnerable. Other teams are going to see the film and will follow suit. I hope he can make some adjustments to his play real quick. The main thing is that he has got to keep his feet under him and quit going for jukes. Help will come if he does so and he will be okay.

TommyP

Liked the summary but have to disagree with one point.

Dodge does not have the same attitude about Defense that Leach does.

Back when Dodge was in High School it was asked of him how he decided what players played where and He said that he sat down with OC and DC and then gave the OC the first choice of any player and then gave the DC the next ELEVEN Picks.

Dodge understands that Defense is how you win games, he puts up a lot of points becuase that is how the offense is designed but I get the feeling that he would be just as happy with a 14 - 10 win as long as its a WIN. IMHO

You both make good points. Weathers was great, but you cannot have someone cleaning up our DB's mistakes all game. Bottom line, it does not matter who we play, whoever lines up against Roman will have a field day! That is what worries me. There has to be a better corner on our roster.

I blame the defensive staff and the gameplan they came with. Straight up man most of the night with little adjustments. the same play almost went for long Td's 10x's or so??? Our corners pretty much left on an island and got 0 help. I hope TD ripped his defensive staff a new a$$hole.

Edited by Got5onIt

Wow, lots of interesting opinions... I simply see that game for what it was. (those of us who were there discussed some good signs from the game as well)

OU is a National Championship contender, and we have a BRAND NEW offensive and defensive scheme. As RV mentioned in the tailgate party, this will take time. ANY knee-jerk reaction based on what we saw at OU is pre-mature. The way to judge a team is to wait until you have seen them jell, then compare them to their oponents. How long will that take with these guys?, I'm not sure... but I do know we match up with SMU a HELL of a lot better than a National Champ contender. Give these guys a chance to prove Todd Dodge right. As we watch each game we will see improvement, and the spread offense will work. As for the argument for who is in the saddle at QB?, I have to admit there is a point to be made for Vizza. Still, I will back whoever gets the job because I have to trust that Dodge knows what he is doing. As for the Evan Roman question... I was as surprised as anyone he was left out there? I think he is probably going to make his mark here as a kick-returner. But, we will know more on Saturday at SMU.

It's only one loss, guys...We went 0-5 once and still made it to New Orleans. Stay on the band-wagon people. Please dont use this loss as a reason to jump off. The biggest change for me from what we had last year is potential. After a 79-10 blowout, I still have faith in this season. Bring on the Ponies and their 20,000 fans who showed up for the OPENING DAY game AT HOME? I couldnt believe how many empty seats there were in that place. Let's not become that because of a loss at OU?

See everyone at McFarland saturday...

GMG!!!

I blame the defensive staff and the gameplan they came with. Straight up man most of the night with little adjustments. the same play almost went for long Td's 10x's or so??? Our corners pretty much left on an island and got 0 help. I hope TD ripped his defensive staff a new a$$hole.

I agree...DC is a joke! Playing man as the base D is terrible. Must have the players...Other teams will just throw away from Weathers #38.

Please don't panic/get frustrated. No scheming/defensive brilliance is going to make a difference when your opposition is 50 - 100 lbs heavier than you, half a second faster, and leaps 24 inches higher into the air. Fundamentals aren't going to look so hot either. You can't easily square up on a guy that might be juking in the NFL one day.

I have a feeling that Todge and Co are trying to implement a fundamental system and will get it to work based on attitude and execution. He'll play his cards against every opponent, but sometimes you go into a game and the other guy has flush or straight, and you are dealt NOTHING. Here's hoping next week he coaches up some full houses to SMU's two-pair.

Meager should get the start against SMU. It would be against Todge's own words if he switched now.

Thanks DD. We love you.