Evyn Roman...

MeanGreengdub

Now, I realize it's the first game and it was against OU but I thought Roman looked terrible. Maybe his hair was in his face, but he looked confused last night. Not to mention, a DB that's only 5'11 won't match up well with most receivers on any team.

If I'm not mistaken, Roman is a JUCO guy that signed late in June. So, he only went through fall practices in this scheme. Like with everything and everyone else, I'm reserving judgement until we hit SMU and then the Sun Belt. The SMU's young WRs are flying past him, then I'll start worrying. There were a few times where he jammed OU's big guy at the line...just not enough times.

Listen, there's a cliche that you do most of your improving between game one and game two. I'll bet alot of these who seemed to look bad up in Norman don't look half bad against the Ponies.

The interesting thing is, all of the research I have done on the kid suggests that Roman is a for real player. However, it does remain to be seen how he does adjust to the speed of FBS (formerly Div IA). I mean, I can imagine the game is much slower in JUCO than against the likes of OU.

But, I am sure that TD must have seen something in him.

I, too, would like to know what happened to Dominique Green??? I was really excited about this kid when we recruited him, and thought he was progressing well.

No way in hell is this kid 5-11! (More like 5-7) He did look bad but so did most of the others guys on the team. I don't fault these guys or their effort. We just have a collection of backups starting. Darrell Dickey should be fired again for leaving Dodge with this mess. We did not benefit at all (recruiting) by winning 4 straight Sunbelt titles. Dickey inherited a better roster than Dodge 9 years ago. Dickey simply quit on this program; and stopped recruiting!

No way in hell is this kid 5-11! (More like 5-7) He did look bad but so did most of the others guys on the team. I don't fault these guys or their effort. We just have a collection of backups starting. Darrell Dickey should be fired again for leaving Dodge with this mess. We did not benefit at all (recruiting) by winning 4 straight Sunbelt titles. Dickey inherited a better roster than Dodge 9 years ago. Dickey simply quit on this program; and stopped recruiting!

:lol: Agree, good post. This is not a winning team Dodge took over, he has to rebuild it and teach them from scratch. Roman did get burned several times and I'm sure (hope) coaches can try and correct it before next week. To me the SMUt game has always been more important than the zero-U game. Now it's needed to also restore some confidence to coaches, players, fans, media, etc.

I am really tired of the picking on Roman. Was he the only guy out there who didn't have a perfect game?

At least someone said it. The whole team got out played; did Roman get beat yes but a lot of other guys looked pretty silly out there as well. I mentioned it last week OU is redshirting players that would be starting here at NT. The one thing I saw was no matter how ugly it got we never gave up and I think that says a lot about our future. Dodge will turn this thing around lets give him some time to put the pieces together.

Good point but at the same time, we were at the mercy of a duble edged sword, if we were to play more of a zone and drop our safeties over the top more often then we would have opened up more running lanes up the middle and we would have been gashed there as well.

I think that by leaving roman out there on an island the coaches were showing alot of faith in they guy. We are outclassed athletically by that entire team almost and so basically we had to decide how we didn't want them to beat us. Roman won't see that kind of speed again this year probably and at tthe same time we probably won't have to guard against such a good running attatck. Those two weapons left our staff in a bit of a bind.

Good point. Roman had a very tough game, but he was left out there on an island all night. It seemed like Mendoza was insistent on playing his style of defense the entire game and let the players "sink or swim". We were simply outmatched in size and speed at the skill positions, and then add poor tackling into the mix and you are in for a long night.

I'm interested to see what our guys look like against SMU and FAU. As Fake Lonnie Finch has pointed out in several threads, if the Sunbelt teams are consistently burning past our corners, then it's time to be upset.

I expect our guys on defense (especially Roman) to come out with something to prove against SMU. We wont see the type of speed that OU had again this year.

Edited by Green Lantern

Good point. Roman had a very tough game, but he was left out there on an island all night. It seemed like Mendoza was insistent on playing his style of defense the entire game and let the players "sink or swim". We were simply outmatched in size and speed at the skill positions, and then add poor tackling into the mix and you are in for a long night.

Agreed 100%. First of all, I don't blame Roman 1 bit. It wasn't his fault he got 0 help most of the night.

I know NT can't sniff OU's talent but I thought the defensive playcall was horrendous.

Edited by Got5onIt