Mean Green World Is Here

Smitty

Mean Green World is launched.

There are computer wallpapers, cell phone wallpapers, screensavers, avatars, and userbars. I've added an eighth wallpaper to the new batch, and all of the new wallpapers are in 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1327x1080, 1360x1020, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, and 2200x1238.

Turn on your computer speakers because there is a little bit of audio on the site, on the introductory splash page and during the animation for the return of the Flying Worm. The opening of the animation is silent but the audio fades up after a few seconds.

If you find any links that are not working, please let me know. Although I tried to test everything, I'd be surprised if there's not a glitch somewhere among the hundreds of graphics on the site.

And especially for Harry and Evan, I've created a cell phone wallpaper and a userbar for the Mean Green Barbershop Podcast (anyone else can use them too, of course).

Everything is free.

I hope everyone enjoys.

God, there's almost too much for my mind to comprehend! I'll quickly browse it tonight, then "steal" stuff tomorrow.

If it's not too personal/infringing, what font are you using for the MGW and loading pages? It's pretty cool.

I looked at dozens and dozens of fonts before selecting this one. The font for the site's title is called Earth. Interesting coincidence, don't you think?

Great Job, Smitty....just curious....could you do an animated version of the flying worm that shows the 'other wing' that would be on the other side of the body as the eagle flaps his wing (s). Nice job.

Great Job, Smitty....just curious....could you do an animated version of the flying worm that shows the 'other wing' that would be on the other side of the body as the eagle flaps his wing (s). Nice job.

I wanted to do that but I ran into problems. It was kind of an interesting experient in viewpoints and angles.

The view of the original worm is straight on from the side, so in essence the other wing, as the wings flap in unison, is obscured by the front wing. I tried two wings going at once and you couldn't see the back wing at all. I skewed the back wing slightly, shifting the top of the wing forward to give it a different angle, but even then it barely showed up (especially on the size of the worm used in the screensaver). Skewing it and stretching it enough to make it significantly visible made the angle of the wing appear un-natural (assuming that a winged worm can appear natural).

So the only way to make the rear wing really show is to change the angle from which you view the worm, viewing it not straight on from the side but from slightly above and ahead (which is the angle of the the flying toasters in the After Dark screensaver). It requires completely re-drawing the worm and adding three-dimensional aspects that do not exist in the original rendering. However, that requires artistry that, frankly, is beyond me.

Ultimately, I decided to go with the worm as is, as I wanted the worms in the screensaver to be able to fly up or down, changing direction as they nudge each other across the screen, and that works best from a straight-on viewpoint. Also, I wanted to make the animation out of the original drawing.

Very interesting how you researched all aspects of the one dimentional flying worm. I did some art for the marching band years and years ago, but I fudged a bit and turned the bird a bit, so as to give the bird a second wing...you may have seen the art, as someone who posts on gomeangreen uses it as an avatar. It is the flying worm wearing a band hat and beating a bass drum.