Starting Unt Qb

NCMeanGreen

I thought long and hard on the QB situation. I came the same decision. Meager and Vizza should NOT be neck and neck. If Meager can't pull ahead of a true freshman, than put Vizza in.

---Agree.. if the older one can not distance himself from the young freshman... then the freshman is the way to go.... he will get better and will be around longer.

---I also would not afraid of pulling him out if things go badly and the putting the experienced one in... It would not destroy his confidence. Leaving him in might do more harm long term I would think. Pulling him if the game was still very winnable might be a bad idea.

Anyone else surprised by Vito's projection for the starting WR's? He said that B. J. Lewis, Brock Stickler, Brandon Jackson, and Breece Johnson pretty much have starting spots locked up.

I would imagine that Fitzgerald will get a ton of playing time. What about Dibrell? Roberson? Washington? Hopefully all of these guys will get shots at playing time.

Brett Vito, I believe, forgot about Casey. Breece Johnson will likely back up Casey on the outside. No way Fitzgerald doesn't start. I think BJ Lewis, Washington, and Stickler will all see plently of action in the slot. Dibrell will play but I believe Roberson will shirt, he is just too raw but will be a good one, come this time, next season.

Edited by Dodge2007

I agree with you.

If Meager can't separate himself from a True Freshman, then he should not be the starter. We are in for a long year, might as well let the young pup take his lumps.

I agree, except for the possibility that TD could possibly have a timeline agenda (LOL) as far as who will be the starter over the next five year time period. A true freshman out there is pretty scary in some ways, but I'm certainly willing to let the man do his job and make the right decision.

"B.J. Lewis, Brock Stickler, Breece Johnson and Brandon Jackson appear to have secured the starting wide receiver spots."

Four wide receivers with names starting with B, if true then we will need a name for the starting receiver corp. Perhaps something like the "Killer B's" although I think that works better for a defense.

One of the ways to predict future behavior in a person is to look at past behavior. This is especially true if the person in question is successful in their profession.

Coach Dodge obviously thinks that how he has done things in the past will work well here at North Texas. He has surrounded himself with assistant coaches who have worked for him, and who obviously believe in how he does things.

Having said all that, how has Coach Dodge always handled the QB situation at SLC? Has he ever started a sophmore or freshman? My observation of the SLC QB situation in the last four or five years is that everyone has had to wait their turn, and spend years learning their craft.

There are many of you on this board who are much more familiar with Coach Dodge and his tenure at SLC who can present a "yeah-but" to this. However, my guess is that if all other factors are pretty even, Coach Dodge is going to go with his most experienced QB, and let the younger guys wait their turn.

"B.J. Lewis, Brock Stickler, Breece Johnson and Brandon Jackson appear to have secured the starting wide receiver spots."

Four wide receivers with names starting with B, if true then we will need a name for the starting receiver corp. Perhaps something like the "Killer B's" although I think that works better for a defense.

snl.two0220_big.jpg

nah.

At this point of 2-a-days, I think Coach Dodge will go with Meagar.

Why? Several reasons. Meagar is the most "vetran" QB, having started

several times, played against several top college teams, veteran-older

and more mature, seems to be in control of the new offense, and

since day one of the Dodge Ball begining, Meagar has been "starting".

Coach Dodge has a scoring system that measures QB performance,

the fact Coach Dodge has coached QB's all of his career and knows

how to handle QB's, and follows what all coaches do-- gut feeling.

Nothing against Vizza, who will be a top D1 QB, I just think Coach

Dodge will play it safe right now, and go with the most college

game experienced QB, Daniel Meagar.