Fw*telegram Article On Kickoff, Riley Sighting

OldTimer

Posted on Sun, Aug. 05, 2007 UNT NOTES

With new coach, ticket sales brisk

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram staff writer

UNT/Michael Clements

Safety Aaron Weathers shows off UNT's new uniform at the school's annual football kickoff barbecue. DENTON -- North Texas set another attendance record Saturday, this time at its annual football kickoff barbecue.

The event, which featured the unveiling of UNT's new uniforms, carried over the residual good vibe from the Mean Green's spring game that drew a record 5,200 fans.

Business has been brisk since coach Todd Dodge came on board. Ticket manager Gabe Kirkpatrick said Saturday that the roughly 1,400 priority season tickets at Fouts Field between the home 45-yard lines are sold out for the first time.

Kirkpatrick said UNT has at least doubled season-ticket sales over the same time a year ago. Priority seats now require a minimum $500 donation to the Mean Green Club.

UNT's new uniforms will be all white on the road, with a Kelly green jersey on white pants at home. UNT is wearing white helmets for the first time since 1967.

"It's a new look," said safety Aaron Weathers, one of the uniform models. "You'll see new results."

Riley sighting

Outside regular periods, football recruits can visit campuses anytime on their own nickel. Southlake Carroll senior quarterback Riley Dodge falls outside most realms of official or unofficial contact.

Dodge last month committed to play for his father, Todd, at UNT in 2008. He attended Saturday's kickoff event and has spent much of the summer on campus working out or accompanying his family to other functions.

He was approached several times Saturday to sign an autograph, as if he's already a part of the UNT program. Though he's technically a recruit, most contact/visit rules can't apply to him because he lives under the coach's roof.

"I can't wait to get here [as a player]," said Riley Dodge, wearing one of his three Carroll state championship rings. "This was the right place for me all along."

Dodge said he plans to graduate from Carroll in December and enroll at UNT in the spring.

Briefly

Todd Dodge said 105 players, the NCAA limit, are expected to report for today's player meetings. Practice starts Monday with one session (3:30-5:30 p.m.) per day through Friday. The following week alternates single-session days (8:45 a.m.) with two-a-days (8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.).

Defensive tackle Montey Stevenson, from Alvarado, is adding his mother's last name to all UNT roster and two-deeps, becoming Montey Kennerson-Stevenson. He said Saturday he hadn't thought of adding the name to his jersey, but he'll consider asking Dodge.

tphillips@star-telegram.com

Troy Phillips 817-390-7760

There's something very 80's about that photo! Probably the black and white effect +....the hairdo? I'm waiting for him to bust out the Super Bowl Shuffle.

I may be getting up there a bit, but if I remember correctly we did have color back in the 80's. My parent's generation was the one that lived life in black and white. LOL!

If Riley enrolls in the spring, is he eligible to participate in spring practices and the spring game?

It seems Riley is excited to be playing here AND for his dad...that first one cannot be overstated.

This would be the year I move 2000 miles away...

Wow, great colors! Once again, the FWST shows why they're known as that "other newspaper".

358-182635-147987.embedded.prod_affiliat

Lets not be too hasty, fellas... :rolleyes:

What our West O' Plex StartleGram wants us all to do is color inside the lines of the unis' they put in the newspaper today. I finished coloring mine 15 minutes ago and................... I STAYED INSIDE THE LINES FOR THE 1'ST TIME IN MY WHOLE LIFE, GOL' DARN IT! :blink:

Honest to goodness, though, these are the best looking unis (IMHO) since the ones we had during most of the 1970's when "you know who" was around.

I really do love the overall look of these new Mean Green uniforms. If we're not careful we could start winnning some NCAA D1-A awards for "Best Looking" unis' (and that's no bull, either).

DODGE BALL IS HERE &..........THE GOOD OL' DAYS ARE NOW!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Defensive tackle Montey Stevenson, from Alvarado, is adding his mother's last name to all UNT roster and two-deeps, becoming Montey Kennerson-Stevenson. He said Saturday he hadn't thought of adding the name to his jersey, but he'll consider asking Dodge.

First of all, let me say I have all the respect and admiration in the world for what Montey is doing.

Secondly, let me say (with tongue firmly planted in cheek) that if TD allows the jersey change...well, if you thought the back of Jarrod Saltalamacchia's jersey looked busy... :P