Meager Vs. The Others

Dodge2007

Is this offense and coaching staff more suitable for him this season? It appears so.

Is it Meager's job to lose? I know Dodge says otherwise, but I believe it is.

Maybe Dodge is just what Meager needed. Lets get behind Meager and give him his opportunity unless proven otherwise.

Nothing personal Emmitt, I just believe WW should have WANTED to be there this summer. Comparing McFaddin or the Louisville QB to Woody is simply not comparing apples to apples.

Is this offense and coaching staff more suitable for him this season? It appears so.

Is it Meager's job to lose? I know Dodge says otherwise, but I believe it is.

Maybe Dodge is just what Meager needed. Lets get behind Meager and give him his opportunity unless proven otherwise.

Nothing personal Emmitt, I just believe WW should have WANTED to be there this summer. Comparing McFaddin or the Louisville QB to Woody is simply not comparing apples to apples.

We get it, ok. You like Meager. We all understand that. You don't have to keep pounding it into our heads. When Dodge names the starter, I will support him 100%.

BTW: If it wasn't personal towards Emmitt than you wouldn't have to use the phrase, "Nothing personal Emmitt".

Edited by Eagle-96

Why not? He's not trying to compare athletic ability. If - BIG IF - WW emerges, puts up Brohm stats and we are 10-2, YOUR credibility goes right out the window, sir. I wonder what you'd be saying at that point.

I do think, however, that if your "inside sources" are telling you the truth re: Wilson's effort, then the problem will take care of itself. I love how you keep bringing this Meager/WW debate back up...over and over.

...and how I keep being suckered in. Just curious, if you're going to ride anyone's train then why not Vizza's?

Wow Greek.... Tell us how you really feel. :unsure:

Wow? That was a Plum-like post. As rants go that was a bit harsh, but a fair opinion. Since I am one of the last of the Darrell Dickey apologists, I will chime in here. Dickey is responsible for his coaches, and payed the ultimate penalty for it. Danny Meager has had a few things work against him in his two REAL years here... The biggest of those was Ramon Flannigan as the OC. The reason Kellen Haynes left this program was because of Flanny, and his inability to take a raw QB and improve him. RF wanted every QB that walked out there to be as polished and programmed as Scott Hall. RF never saw potential in the young guys coming in, or bothered to teach more than X's and O's. (Kellen Haynes is now about 6-2, around 215 lbs, and by the way... was a PASSING stud in his high-school in Houston)

The point here is that Meager was in the same offensive HELL as the other QB's...and that hell is gone now. ANYONE who watched the spring game saw BOTH Meager and Wilson play much better ball in the Todd Dodge offense. Even if you had issues with Meager before, you have to give him a chance in this system because he has earned it. Give the kid a chance to play in a system designed to fit his skills, with a real teacher to help him get better. Yes, we were all frustrated with Danny's play last year... but the spring game showed he can be effective if given a reasonable chance to learn the offense. He didnt have that last year, but he does now. (the draw play on 3rd and 23 does NOT allow the QB's to make a difference in the outcome of the game) Some of those games were lost in the coaches box before the snap ever took place. I look at it this way... If Danny doesnt win the job while Vizza and Wilson are taking snaps right along side of him, then you get your wish and someone else plays QB. All I'm asking is we dont be so quick to write off ANY QB who had to play under Ramon Flannigan. Opinions are good and keep us all talking football in the off-season, but we have to trust Todd Dodge and who he thinks is the best fit for this offense. We need to stay on the band-wagon long enough to find out if the doubt about Meager is really warranted? You may be right about Meager's ability, but we really dont know yet?...we cannot know based on Ramon Flannigan's fiascos we called gameplans? Give the kid a chance to play for us while learning from a real teacher. Todd Dodge is a winner, this much we know. If he says Meager is the guy... then we back Meager.

Fair enough?

GMG!!!

How are you related to Meager? Brother, sister, mother, father, uncle???

Haha... I dont know if you meant me, but despite the sarcasm, no relation. I have been watching NT football as a season ticket holder at Fouts since 97. I have seen good and bad QB's in that time, but never a worse offensive coordinator then RF. I will back anyone who steps up to center on gameday, we just need to remember that ALL of the QB's played the last two years with their hands tied. None of them should be judged until we see what TD does with them. Personally, I think Vizza will end up with the job. He came from a spread offense, he has played with Sam Dibrell and there is already chemistry there, and his game film is amazing.

I just want everyone to get a fair shot... and YES, that includes Danny Meager.

Signed... Danny Meager's new uncle....hehe

GMG!!! :)

I'm telling you, the new uniforms and helmets will correct this. Dodge discovered this past spring that the glare off the green helmets temporarily blinded Meager during snaps. They also caused WW to turn back into the middle of the field towards linebackers while running, Phillips to become catatonic in the pocket, and Tune to tune out. White helmets, new jerseys, pants, and shoes (and new coach) will change all things wrong last season, just watch and see! :blink:

I'm telling you, the new uniforms and helmets will correct this. Dodge discovered this past spring that the glare off the green helmets temporarily blinded Meager during snaps. They also caused WW to turn back into the middle of the field towards linebackers while running, Phillips to become catatonic in the pocket, and Tune to tune out. White helmets, new jerseys, pants, and shoes (and new coach) will change all things wrong last season, just watch and see! :blink:

Post of the day!!! It combines our two greatest concerns - uniforms and QBs!

Haha... I dont know if you meant me, but despite the sarcasm, no relation. I have been watching NT football as a season ticket holder at Fouts since 97. I have seen good and bad QB's in that time, but never a worse offensive coordinator then RF. I will back anyone who steps up to center on gameday, we just need to remember that ALL of the QB's played the last two years with their hands tied. None of them should be judged until we see what TD does with them. Personally, I think Vizza will end up with the job. He came from a spread offense, he has played with Sam Dibrell and there is already chemistry there, and his game film is amazing.

I just want everyone to get a fair shot... and YES, that includes Danny Meager.

Signed... Danny Meager's new uncle....hehe

GMG!!! :)

Sorry Med, I was referring to Dodgesballs2007. :lol:

I don't think it's really fair to make blanket statements about who's definately gonna be "our guy" at QB this year. All we know is that Meager was in the lead for the position coming out of Spring Ball. He and Wilson both had their moments in the Spring Game and both have their strenghts and weaknesses.

I don't really think that it's fair to say that Danny never made any plays while quarterbacking last year. I recall a couple of nicely thrown balls on fade routes to JQ and he made some really nice runs in a few of those games as well. If rumors are to be believed, DD had his QB's (Meager and Wilson both) so scared to run/improvise, that I really feel like he took away a threat that each of those guys posess for fear of being benched. All of our QB's had problems getting plays off in time and I blame that on the coaching staff and system more than I do that kids at QB...so I don't really lay the blame at Meager's feet for this. Bottom line: All of our QB's that played last year made some terrible plays/mistakes...these were not just limited to Danny, he just gets most of the blame because he was DD's chosen guy last year. I expect with Dodge's guidance, we'll see a marked improvement in every QB.

Wilson, I believe, has the most raw "game breaking" potential out of the guys who we had on the roster in Spring. I don't know if he was polished enough in Spring for Dodge to put his faith in him as "his guy", however, that could change here shortly.

Vizza is the X factor in all of this. He could come in immediately and wow everyone. It's been reported that he's been working really hard this summer to prepare for the upcoming season. Hopefully it pays off.

Edited by Green Lantern

I don't think it's really fair to make blanket statements about who's definately gonna be "our guy" at QB this year. All we know is that Meager was in the lead for the position coming out of Spring Ball. He and Wilson both had their moments in the Spring Game and both have their strenghts and weaknesses.

I don't really think that it's fair to say that Danny never made any plays while quarterbacking last year. I recall a couple of nicely thrown balls on fade routes to JQ and he made some really nice runs in a few of those games as well. If rumors are to be belived, DD had his QB's (Meager and Wilson both) so scared to run/improvise, that I really feel like he took away a threat that each of those guys posess for fear of being benched. All of our QB's had problems getting plays off in time and I blame that on the coaching staff and system more than I do that kids at QB...so I don't really lay the blame at Meager's feet for this. Bottom line: All of our QB's that played last year made some terrible plays/mistakes...these were not just limited to Danny, he just gets most of the blame because he was DD's chosen guy last year. I expect with Dodge's guidance, we'll see a marked improvement in every QB.

Wilson, I believe, has the most raw "game breaking" potential out of the guys who we had on the roster in Spring. I don't know if he was polished enough in Spring for Dodge to put his faith in him as "his guy", however, that could change here shortly.

Vizza is the X factor in all of this. He could come in immediately and wow everyone. It's been reported that he's been working really hard this summer to prepare for the upcoming season. Hopefully it pays off.

Good summary of the facts. I'm not sure Daniel will "definitely" be our guy at QB this year, but he definitely has the inside track going into the Fall. All our QB's will be improved with the better hands on coaching. If I have a concern about Meager, it is his durability. Our QB's are likely to get some hard knocks until the offensive line can jell. Also, whoever starts, may have to have a really tough psyche, because the first half of the season could be very tough and any starter may have to deal with adversity. It may be that whoever can manage that may prevail in the end, regardless of who comes out of the gate as starter. Either way, I am 100% behind whoever takes the snaps.

I have a feeling that things changed when Rodge switched his commitment. Now, what do you do? I think we are in a good position.

Meager kicks it up to a notch we didn't know he had and wows us. Vizza has time to learn. Backup ... no redshirt?

Meager does ok, but Vizza comes in and wows us or hangs with Meager. Go with Vizza and get him some good experience this year. Meager backup next two years.

Either way, next year, we redshirt Rodge and his freshman/sophmore years are as back up and gaining experience. Then we have him as starter for atleast 2 years. Hopefully we have a new stud in the works and we keep this rotation. Then again, he could come in and take the job from Vizza/Meager.

Either way, light at the end of the tunnel.

I agree with Greek. It is hard to have faith in Meager. Maybe it is because of the system. There were several issues that remained constant between the QBs that can easily be tracked back to the coaching. But, the other QBs were in the same boat and it seems they did more, made more happen. I would love it if he came in in the fall and just blows everyone away. Atleast he knows this year he can win it outright and there will be no rotation. If he has the talent, I believe Todge can exploit it. I do believe he's earned a chance under Todge after dealing with the last regime. But like Greek said, he's gonna have to prove it to me. More importantly, he's gonna have to prove it to the person that counts the most ... Todge.

Did I miss something?

Is Matt Phillips not a candidate for the job? I thought he had a lot of promise. I think he would be a better QB with a better coach.

I also think it is way too early to give Meager the job. Vizza has a lot of talent and it wouldnt surprise me to see Dodge give him a shot at some point this year.

My biggest concern with Meager is his durability. He always seems to get hurt when we need him the most. He looks good at times, but he has also thrown some VERY untimely interceptions.

I agree with the other posters who think this starting QB job is still "wide open" heading into two-a-days.

Edited by meangreenfreak

Since I am considered Danny's relative, I go with this.

TD has given him and maybe some of the others some confidence. He is a true QB coach who gets the most out of his players.

The question remains why did Meager flourish during the spring and WW not. Was it all because of WW missing some practice? I think not. Woody is just not a precision passer that TD looks for. He had better numbers than Meager but this offense requires pin point passing and the ability to make great reads both pre snap and post snap. Meager, clearly and early, proved that out.

Meager starts unless the Godfather can catch him in two weeks time.....that is asking a lot.

I believe Dodge will know (in his mind) by the 5 of 6th practice who he is going with. Dodge is not going to mess around long with this deal. He wants to give up and press on with his decision.

The curious part is if Vizza is close or better than Meager (but just lacks college experience) does he go with my boy Dan, to kick things off, and then move Vizza in slowly?????? To me that is the real question.

The question remains why did Meager flourish during the spring and WW not.

Flourish? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you're on this board. You make me smile at least twice a day. In fact, will you promise to visit our tailgate this fall? A comedian with your pedigree could only add to the atmosphere.

White helmets, new jerseys, pants, and shoes (and new coach) will change all things wrong last season, just watch and see! :blink:

Now, does it have to be in that order? I do believe the coach came first, then the shoes, then the pants...oh never mind...

He had better numbers than Meager but this offense requires pin point passing and the ability to make great reads both pre snap and post snap. Meager, clearly and early, proved that out.

I, for one, would like a QB that can catch the deep snap. I don't know, maybe just me :/

meagerball.jpg

Guest JohnDenver

..and what is all this bidness about Woody not working out this summer in Denton?

From Dodge's own mouth at the NT Exes gathering, he said 100% (Yes, 100% includes the QB named after a president) of the players are in Denton and practicing this summer.

However, someone on this board states with confidence that he isn't there.

Which do I believe? The coach or the anonymous poster who is in love with the other QB choice?

Also, the spring game was not the norm. I went to the other scrimmages and the Meager was sacked like no other. He had all the pressure and couldn't get out of the pocket to make a play. The defense played a very different game during the green/white game.. they were in play making mode and not really a game type situation. That is why we saw a lot of big passing plays.. it was the hand of God making it happen.

I beleive that 100% of the kids might have made it to practice but its the participation that I am talking about. Making one workout a week doesn't say a whole lot. Dodge is saying all the players have made it to practice at one time or another.

Ask the 50 or so players who shows up and who doesn't????? They will tell you who is always there and who isn't. That I know is fact by brother, John Denver.