Off Season Poll

UNTLifer

From the 70's, Burks Washington

From the 80's. Lance White and Byron Gross.

Also from the early 80's, Lester Harper all 5'9" X 205 of him. Very intense in the mold of Corbin Epps (Montgomery). So intense that he got kicked out of the LaLa game in 82. And when he started drawing personal foul penalties while standing (actually pacing up and down) on the sideline and running his mouth, Corky Nelson sent him to the showers for the remainder of the game. He's the only player I've ever observed at North Texas that got kicked out of the game AND the stadium.

Lester Harper was ALWAYS wearing his "I DIDN'T COME HERE TO LOSE" t-shirt under his uni.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I agree. There was a LB that played for the team back in the 93-94 seasons that was pretty tough, but I cannot remember his name. He was a fairly stout African American gentleman but, again, cannot recall his name...anyone know????

Benny Cherry first lettered in that season. Another fairly stout player was Willis Hudson but he was a defensive end.

Burkley Harkless from the late 60's and early 70's has to be considered as one of the best. A fomer UNT player from that era told me that Joe Greene tried to get Burkley to accept a free agent offer from Pittsburg and said "you are better than any of the guys we got here." Burkley declined.

The following link makes mention of Burkley a few times.

http://www.unt.edu/northtexan/archives/w04/meanm.htm

No, I think it was Corbin Montgomery (Epps), aka Umar Muhammad...

Corbin Montgomery (Epps), aka Umar Muhammad played on the defensive line at NT, end I believe. He played in 1997 and 1998.

He was built like a fireplug. Short but strong and impossible to move.

Benny Cherry played safety in 1993 then Linebacker in 1994, redshirted in 1995, played linebacker in 1996 and 1997.