Hs Coaches Attend Dodge's First Annual Clinic

NT80

High school football coaches attend Dodge's first annual clinic

150 coaches travel from nearby states for coaching clinic

Adam Rosenfield

Issue date: 4/10/07 Section: SPORTS

Head football coach Todd Dodge hosted his first Mean Green Football High School Coaches Clinic along with the rest of the Mean Green football staff, Thursday and Friday of last week.

The annual clinic included a record attendance of more than 150 high school coaches from Texas, Arkansas and Missouri, among other states.

"Every school has a type of coaching clinic," said Chris Seroka, NT strength coach. "This one is by far the biggest turnout I've seen. During Dickey's years, we had about 50 coaches, but this is much bigger."

Seroka has been with the Mean Green seven years.

The high school coaches met Thursday and Friday with selected coaches from the staff talking about their specific areas, and featured high school head coaches from Flower Mound, Marcus, Garland and Cedar Hill high schools, who spoke on how their football teams advanced far into the Texas high school state playoffs.

The latter parts of the clinic featured the staff presenting live demonstrations of both the offense and defense. When the clinic ended, the coaches attended the Mean Green spring football practices.

In addition to the plethora of coaches present, several alumni and J.J. Johnson, a recent Mean Green high school signee from Plano West High School, also attended.

"I just came to watch practice," Johnson said.

Former defensive back Cass Starks watched practice and chatted up old high school coaches. Starks, a senior on NT's 2006 football team, noted the differences between Dickey and Dodge's styles.

"I came to check out all the hype, and the difference is night and day," Starks said. Dodge's "style of football is more up-to-date, and he's hands on with the players. When you have a coach like that, it eases your mind as a player."

In addition to the clinic, the Mean Green will also have an open house for high school coaches April 11.

"I never did this type of thing at Southlake Carroll," Dodge said. "When I got the job, I talked about wanting to do this type of event in conjunction with spring practice, and make high school coaches feel like the door is always open for them."

The Mean Green will play in the Green vs. White spring game, held at 3 p.m. Sunday April 22 at Fouts Field.

Forget about the issue of X's and O's for a moment. The attitude change alone is just remarkable.........and greatly needed.

For those young alumni/students who got tired of hearing us old timers go on and on about the Hayden Fry days. This is what we were talking about.

The younger generation of NT alumni/students now has it's own Hayden Fry.........enjoy.

Forget about the issue of X's and O's for a moment. The attitude change alone is just remarkable.........and greatly needed.

For those young alumni/students who got tired of hearing us old timers go on and on about the Hayden Fry days. This is what we were talking about.

The younger generation of NT alumni/students now has it's own Hayden Fry.........enjoy.

Great post!

This is a great story! I am a "old" time Hayden Fry era fan, so, I agree with Silver Eagle-

Forget the X's and O's, this is all about attitude and a winning approach to every detail

of what a good coach and staff brings to NT!

The 150 coaches from TX,AR,MO, and other states, made the trip to Denton to see NT

and meet the staff. All of these coaches are from top HS football programs. Every one

of these coaches will welcome any of Coach Dodge's staff to their schools during recruiting!

Coach Dodge and his staff are doing an amazing job! Just wait and see what a winning

season will bring!

Former defensive back Cass Starks watched practice and chatted up old high school coaches. Starks, a senior on NT's 2006 football team, noted the differences between Dickey and Dodge's styles.

"I came to check out all the hype, and the difference is night and day," Starks said. Dodge's "style of football is more up-to-date, and he's hands on with the players. When you have a coach like that, it eases your mind as a player."

I'm sure Starks suffered coming from a similar HS program with a hand's on coach in Joey Florence to playing for DD.

Edited by UNTLifer

I was on campus last Friday and it was so nice to see new buildings going up and the whole attitude on campus is so much more positve now with the new coaches, basketball team in the NCAA's, and a great President running the ship.

There should be many bright years ahead for the Mean Green.

I think SilverEagle was talking primarily about the attitude Dodge has brought to North Texas football. Hopefully the other will follow.

You are correct about the primary point that I was making. However, I'm more than hopeful about winning. In fact, I will almost guarantee it. Coach Dodge is the kind of coach/teacher/mentor that instills tons of confidence in his players. This almost always leads to wins.....lots of them.