Watson Named 3 Point King

EagleD

meangreensports.com

DENTON (2/17/07) – Calvin Watson became North Texas’ all-time 3-point king on Saturday, lifting the Mean Green basketball team to a 74-69 win over UALR at The Super Pit.

The senior nailed his 190th career 3-pointer, passing Chris Davis for North Texas’ all-time lead. Watson now has 72 from downtown this year, which ranks third on the single season list.

“Calvin has been a great player since he has been here and I am proud that he could get that record,” said Johnny Jones. “He is one of the best shooters to ever wear a North Texas uniform.”

While Watson’s three’s were the icing on the cake, the battle in the paint won the game for the Mean Green (18-9, 9-7). Forward Quincy Williams and center Keith Wooden took turns sparring with UALR (12-15, 7-9) center Rashad Jones-Jennings in a slugfest in the low block.

The Trojan forward, who leads the nation in rebounding, racked up 22 points and 15 rebounds for his 28th career double-double.

However, Williams and Wooden were up to the task, as Williams recorded his sixth career double-double by halftime. The junior ranks sixth in school history with 57 career blocks, and finished the night with 15 points and 13 rebounds.

Wooden nearly put up his second double-double of the season with a 15 point, nine rebound night. Also a junior, Wooden ranks fourth in the Sun Belt Conference in field goal percentage.

The Mean Green trailed 39-34 at the half, but clawed its way back into the game only minutes into the second frame on the back of Watson three-pointers and gritty play from guard Michael Sturns.

Sturns, the Sun Belt’s top bench scorer, gave the Mean Green an 18-7 edge in bench scoring with his nine points against the Trojans.

Mean Green point guard Ben Bell rounded out the evening with his seventh double digit scoring game, and his second in a row. The junior had 10 points to go with a trio of assists.

North Texas returns to action at The Super Pit on Thursday against Arkansas State. Tip off is schedule for 7:00 p.m. following the NT women’s game at 5:00 p.m., and can be heard on the Mean Green Radio Network.

He only hit 2 of 8 last night. I wonder what his percentage is overall for his career compared to the previous 3 point record holders at North Texas?

Rick

For the sake of argument, here is my top 5 three point shooters in UNT history based on how good of a shot they had or how confident I was when the ball left their hand

1. George King (the Archer from Mineral Wells)

2. Chad Elstun (another Jankovich Kansas guy with a beautiful shot)

3. Calvin Watson (best range of any 3 point shooter in UNT history and best shot from the corner)

4. Tom Etchison (what a release he had, this gym rat could have made many more had he not been the awkward PG)

5. Chris Davis (I loved when Chris rose and fired, always brought me to my feet, not a pretty shot but it got the job done)

Honorable Mentions

Rusty Walker

Cedric Carson

Ron Griffin (best shot for guy over 6'6 in UNT history)

Donnel Hayden

Jaquita Deaton...lol

Guest GrayEagleOne

I honestly don't remember King or Elston's shooting percentage on threes, but I have to give Calvin Watson credit. He is the best 3-point shooter that I can remember. His career shooting percentage on 3s is around 40%, about as good as it gets.

The only one that might top him percentage wise, from our recent history, was Rich Young. But, he didn't shoot them very often. Jerome Rogers made a lot of threes but he shot them perhaps more than anyone in our history (per minute played). Michael Sturns is a very good 3-point shooter but he averages somewhere in the 35-37% range, not quite to Watson's or Chris Davis' standards.

Congratulations Calvin, on breaking the record.

The only one that might top him percentage wise, from our recent history, was Rich Young. But, he didn't shoot them very often.

Rich still plays, and I WISH he would start shooting more. That guy has the best looking shot on the team and he never uses it. IMHO Rich Young is the 'glue' that holds this team together.

For the sake of argument, here is my top 5 three point shooters in UNT history based on how good of a shot they had or how confident I was when the ball left their hand

1. George King (the Archer from Mineral Wells)

2. Chad Elstun (another Jankovich Kansas guy with a beautiful shot)

3. Calvin Watson (best range of any 3 point shooter in UNT history and best shot from the corner)

4. Tom Etchison (what a release he had, this gym rat could have made many more had he not been the awkward PG)

5. Chris Davis (I loved when Chris rose and fired, always brought me to my feet, not a pretty shot but it got the job done)

Honorable Mentions

Rusty Walker

Cedric Carson

Ron Griffin (best shot for guy over 6'6 in UNT history)

Donnel Hayden

Jaquita Deaton...lol

Bleed Green,

I forwarded your props to "The Archer from Mineral Wells" who happens to be a personal friend of mine and our family. And wanted to pass his reply back to you....

Please tell anyone that asks about me or brings up an old reference of me playing that I appreciate it and I always have appreciated their support. I miss the UNT days......

He said he still talks to Coach Jankovich(asst at Kansans) and Coach Duryea(asst at Utah State) and a few of the guys on the team from then. He's pulling for the Mean Green to do well in the conference tourney and to go all the way to the Big Dance. As you may remember his team nearly did it twice, losing two times in the tourney final.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick