Who's Your Starting Qb

NT03

I'm torn because I'd like to see Wilson win the job, but I don't think he can handle it over the long haul and I'd rather him switch positions in Spring ball so he can help elsewhere. I don't have any confidence in Meager or Phillips anymore; they both consistently make the plays that get teams beat . Tune? I don't know.

So give me Vizza to win the job from the start. I really don't want to see him vs OU or even Arkansas, but he'll be in good form by the time conference play comes along.

I'm on board with ya. With DM, our offensive gains seemed to be very MEAGER. Woody can do well in this "NEW" system.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is at best a difficult, at worst an impossible thing to predict. None are experienced in Dodge's system. All on the current roster have some strengths and weaknesses. You would almost have to give them a leg up because they will have the spring to learn the system before fall workouts.

I think that Vizza has the best overall ability to flourish in this new system and apparently TD thinks so as well. I think that he is the most accurate passer of the lot and I believe that Alamo Heights ran a no-huddle offense. His high school accomplishments are perhaps even greater than the rest because AHHS had never won a state championship.

Wilson seems better suited for this style of play than any other. He's certainly the fastest and most agile of all the candidates. I believe that his accuracy will be fine for short, quick-developing plays.

Phillips still has good leadership characteristics, the strongest arm and is probably the second most accurate passer behind Vizza. He's the slowest of the five but he's far from a statue. He looked good with the green team but that was in a run-style offense.

Tune won a state championship at Celina in his only year at quarterback. He is truly the unknown in this situation. If we were keeping a run-first offense, then I think that Tune would be my pick but he may be starting from scratch trying to run a passing, no-nuddle offense. He could be the beast or just as easily, the worst.

Okay, Meager hasn't shown us much and maybe that hasn't been totally his fault. I do see flashes of excellent play but he never seems to sustain that momentum. But, the thing that worries me most about Meager is that he's just a concussion away from having his career end. I think that he should hang 'em up.

I agree on your assessment of Meager. The concussion thing really worries me. Also, and this may be a coaching issue, but Meager has a really tough time reading defenses. We had more delay of game penalties with him running the show than probably WW and MP combined.

Tune is my pick though. In the All-Star game, Tune picked up the west coast offense in less than a week and played better than the starting QB for the team. He's bright, athletic, and dedicated to the sport - I wouldn't underestimate him in Dodge's system.

More RUMORS from the halls of Southlake Carroll:

Riley Dodge IS planning to go play for his dad. Dodge will also be recruiting an offensive lineman named Schwartzstein. Padron and Russo have been sporting Mean Green gear to school almost every day. A lot of SLC students/alums are planning on making at least 1-2 NT home games next season.

Take them for what they're worth.

I love the fact that I just got back from vacation. I get to read weird threads like this for a good laugh. Considering we haven't seen any of the QBs perform under the new system and are already picking favorites is a riot.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Riley Dodge IS planning to go play for his dad. Dodge will also be recruiting an offensive lineman named Schwartzstein. Padron and Russo have been sporting Mean Green gear to school almost every day. A lot of SLC students/alums are planning on making at least 1-2 NT home games next season.

Now THAT is a great name for a lineman. Put him at tackle right next to a guy named Frankenstein and the media would eat it up.

A misconception that a lot of people seem to have is that spread offenses have to be pass heavy. Look at WV for a spread offense that emphasizes the run. I think TD is going to run out of the spread a lot more than many people think. I am having visions of a Woody/Jamario speed option attack without 9 defenders in the box, and it is exciting. With the big WRs that TD has recruited, they should be able to block well downfield.

I agree e-bone. The thing is that with a spread offense it is still fun to watch the run. It is even more fun to watch the short passes go to fast running backs who look like they run a mile before seeing anyone on the other side of the ball.

THIS I GONNA BE SOOO MUCH FUN.

Any info on this Schwartzstein kid? And any rumors about Newton, although I highly doubt that he will take the short trip here to NT. Do you teach at SLC or have a son/daughter who goes there.

Just thought of this, but we're prolly gonna have the entire SLC football team at every home game.

Sam Schwartzstein - Jr. 6' 4 265 (not bad size for a junior in high school)

Named to 5A Texas Football.com All Junior Team.

http://www.5atexasfootball.com/06seasonawards.htm

Star-Telegram 2nd Team All-District

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/sports...ls/16322354.htm

Protects Riley's blind side for what it's worth.

Word is that he wants to go to Vanderbilt, OU, or North Texas (just for Dodge). That comes from a pretty reliable source.

Edited by PerryG2480

Guest JohnDenver

Are you talking about Prince, who transferred from Kilgore?

I have seen his name thrown around ... he didn't make the team last year. I am not even sure he was on the scout team.

If we don't get Riley I really Hope we do not lose him to TCU (or SMU). If he goes to a BCS school in the top part of thier conference it might not hurt as bad, but to lose him to a non-BCS school would hurt.

I don't think we lose him to TCU or SMU. If he doesn't go to a top 15 team, I think he comes here.

I do think Vizza will start right out the gate. I think TD pushed so hard to get him because he is one that TD believes can come in and run the system the best. You have to believe and know that TD has already evaluated our QB's on scholarship and knew he needed someone that could come right in....thus the reason he has already stated that he will compete for the starting job.

I don't think we lose him to TCU or SMU. If he doesn't go to a top 15 team, I think he comes here.

I do think Vizza will start right out the gate. I think TD pushed so hard to get him because he is one that TD believes can come in and run the system the best. You have to believe and know that TD has already evaluated our QB's on scholarship and knew he needed someone that could come right in....thus the reason he has already stated that he will compete for the starting job.

That may be correct, but I'm not convinced that Tune won't be a major player in all this. If he can show he is learning the system this Spring, then watch out.

That may be correct, but I'm not convinced that Tune won't be a major player in all this. If he can show he is learning the system this Spring, then watch out.

That could be true....it will interesting to see how well he does this Spring. That being said though, I have not really been impressed with ANY QB that DD recruited, and that includes Scott Hall.

That could be true....it will interesting to see how well he does this Spring. That being said though, I have not really been impressed with ANY QB that DD recruited, and that includes Scott Hall.

I think this is a result of the coaching, or lack thereof, that they received under the previous staff.