Do The Bb Coaches Have Your Confidence?

Cerebus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we get it. You and chrissy and UNTwillrise are first year fans, who are very enthusiastic.

What y'all don't seem to get....this is Johnny Jones 6th freaking year...not his first. So, maybe just maybe, some of us have reached a point where we'd like to give someone else a chance. We've watched six years of JJ Ball.....not ONE.

The goal in college basketball is to make the NCAA tournament. JJ has never even come within one game of making it to the "Dance."

And......as far as the poll....do fans have confidence in JJ and Slinker: Well when you can go to one of their games on a perfectly nice night (weather wise) and find between 9,000 (Jones' case) and 9,900 (Slinker's case) EMPTY SEATS.......I think that tells you all you need to know about how much confidence our fans have in those two.

Hell...with Jones, most of us would have settled for a NIT appearance or two in the last six years. At least show us some tangible progress. NIT and NCAA appearances have been a pipe dream for NT basketball (on the men's side) since the 80's. This kind of crap for years causes fans to become disillusioned with the program. You go to the Pit for game after game...year after year and see the same tired brand of non-winning basketball. Can't shoot free throws and close out close games, opposing teams drain shots on us at a high percentage, selfish offensive basketball... on and on and on. It just gets old.

As SUMG said, some of us just think that someone else deserves a chance to make NT basketball great. There is no reason it can't be.

On the Confidence poll (as I post this)............35 want JJ gone.....21 want him back.

That's not good. When a message board such as this....which attracts the school's most hard core fans....and 62% of the fans want a coach gone (when he's 14-7).....that speaks volumes.

Try selling a lot of season tickets to a 7th year of JJ Ball.

couple thoughts, in no particular order.

• supporting the team is different than being a fan of the coach (im having deja vu of Dickey talk about 6 months ago). I am coming up from Houston (pats self on back) to watch the WKU game, and I could care less what happens to Johnny Jones after this year. Slinker has had more than ample time. And I have a feeling both will be gone if they dont get to the NIT or Tourney this year. This appears to be a new era at NT- a re-commitment to athletics and a push towards becoming/being recognized as a "big time" university.

• fans show up to watch winning programs and/or teams they are familiar with play one another. Try to sell a friend on a UNT/ULL game. Not quite as easy as "hey I've got an extra ticket to the UNT/OU game"

• womens basketball bores the hell out of most fans and unless the team is really good, it is little more than an appetizer for the men's games.

• Just because this is "the most hardcore group of fans" doesnt always mean its the "group of fans that knows the most" or "group of fans that represents the interests of all NT fans". This is the group of fans who loves NT and makes the time to get on the internet and post about it. I know plenty of people that don't post and give plenty to the University and have several connections with the Athletic Department. Woohoo. Go me.

• To new fans, stay excited. go to games. It is fun. Don't let people bring your spirit down or discourage you from going. Great things are on the horizon for NT.
Edited by Eagle1855

JJ and his staff are one of the better ones that I have seen in quite a while.

Just remember that four of the seven losses have been by a "total" of 8 points. UNT lost by 1 to UTA...on a late shot; lost to N.O. by 4, lost to FIU and USA by 1. We could be easily 18-3 instead of 14-7.

About three or four years ago Texas A&M was playing terrible and then they started playing some "cream puff" teams that improved their OOC record but in the following years their conference play began to improve. There were a few posters on this board who laughed at the A&M schedule and the quality of wins during this time frame. Now look at their ranking. Naturally, the BCS schools are going to get better players, overall, than the mid-major programs and specifically in the SBC.

JJ has been playing some "cream puff" teams the last couple of years and I truely believe that we have seen the dividend in quality players. UNT is not getting "blown out" of any games like we were when he first arrived and again I believe that he has turned the program around in a positive fashion. JJ has one of the strongest benches in the conference.

IMHO, getting rid of JJ, would be detrimental to the program.

Just remember that four of the seven losses have been by a "total" of 8 points. UNT lost by 1 to UTA...on a late shot; lost to N.O. by 4, lost to FIU and USA by 1. We could be easily 18-3 instead of 14-7.

You could say the same thing for almost every other season he's coached. His teams are usually on the losing side of close games.

couple thoughts, in no particular order.
  • supporting the team is different than being a fan of the coach (im having deja vu of Dickey talk about 6 months ago). I am coming up from Houston (pats self on back) to watch the WKU game, and I could care less what happens to Johnny Jones after this year. Slinker has had more than ample time. And I have a feeling both will be gone if they dont get to the NIT or Tourney this year. This appears to be a new era at NT- a re-commitment to athletics and a push towards becoming/being recognized as a "big time" university.
  • fans show up to watch winning programs and/or teams they are familiar with play one another. Try to sell a friend on a UNT/ULL game. Not quite as easy as "hey I've got an extra ticket to the UNT/OU game"
  • womens basketball bores the hell out of most fans and unless the team is really good, it is little more than an appetizer for the men's games.
  • Just because this is "the most hardcore group of fans" doesnt always mean its the "group of fans that knows the most" or "group of fans that represents the interests of all NT fans". This is the group of fans who loves NT and makes the time to get on the internet and post about it. I know plenty of people that don't post and give plenty to the University and have several connections with the Athletic Department. Woohoo. Go me.
  • To new fans, stay excited. go to games. It is fun. Don't let people bring your spirit down or discourage you from going. Great things are on the horizon for NT.

Lost of great points here 1855. Just because some fans are not thrilled with the coaching situation does not make them any less of a fan. Also, I don't think that people who feel the coaches aren't getting the job done should be labeled as "haters". I'd rather both of the coaches be let go...but going to the games and having fun while I'm there still remains the same. It's all about perspective here. Everyone's is different and that not a bad thing by the way.

NT80--

you have a warped perspective on UNT BB.

1. UNT is 14-7 and could easily be 18-3 due to four loses by a total of 8 points.

2. Why dont you add up all of the UNT BB attendance and get a better perspective on average attendance.

3. The season is not over yet and UNT will be playing in the tournament.

I have been watching NTSU/UNT sports before you were an embryo and IMHO there have been four really good BB coaches in Denton.

1. Spicka (sp)

2. Blackely (sp)

3. Jankovich

4. Jones

Spicka and Blackely had some great attendance figures but other than that attendance has remained about the same for all the other BB coaches.

NT80, get some perspective and research your topic better and come up with something more substantial than fire JJ because he cant coach and only 1300 in attendance at the last game......your point is moot and trite.

However, I do respect your opinion but dont agree with it.

come up with something more substantial than fire JJ because he cant coach and only 1300 in attendance at the last game......your point is moot and trite.

What is a more substantial reason than can't coach and doesn't excite the fanbase? What other reasons do we need?

Euless Eagle, you keep touting the fact that our team could easily be 18-3.

That's true.

But, we beat:

Rice by 2; Tulsa by 2; ULL by 1 in overtime; WKU by 1; and Nicholls State by 3 in overtime.

So, we could also, easily be 9-12.....right now.

In reality we are 14-7, with 3 three wins over Division II and NAIA. Since most rating services (that rate RPIs) don't count those wins....our record that matters is 11-7.

Not 18-3.....or anywhere close to it.

NT80--

you have a warped perspective on UNT BB.

1. UNT is 14-7 and could easily be 18-3 due to four loses by a total of 8 points.

Ok, rocket scientist, let's use your criteria and go the other way.

First, I discount any win over a non-D-1 school (-3 wins).

Next, take away five wins by a total of 9 points = 6-12 record.

I don't agree with your opinion either :P

Edited by NT80

Ok, rocket scientist, let's use your criteria and go the other way.

First, I discount any win over a non-D-1 school (-3 wins).

Next, take away five wins by a total of 9 points = 6-12 record.

I don't agree with your opinion either :P

even if we hired Avery Johnson as our head coach, the super pit wouldn't fill up (remember when the mavs scrimaged there).. Half the students at UNT don't even seem to know we have a basketball team, but can you blame them? What advertising do you see for the basketball team? I have seen a few 20 second commercials that looked like they came straight out of the '80s.. There has to be a better way to get the word out about the team.. I don't know how many times i've told a fellow UNT student that I was going to a men's basketball game, and them say "are they actually good this year".. If we have a winning record and some good road wins, the word should get out and students should know.. Is that really J.J.'s job?

Euless Eagle, you keep touting the fact that our team could easily be 18-3.

That's true.

But, we beat:

Rice by 2; Tulsa by 2; ULL by 1 in overtime; WKU by 1; and Nicholls State by 3 in overtime.

So, we could also, easily be 9-12.....right now.

In reality we are 14-7, with 3 three wins over Division II and NAIA. Since most rating services (that rate RPIs) don't count those wins....our record that matters is 11-7.

Not 18-3.....or anywhere close to it.

Yep, take away the wins against the Division II and NAIA schools, lose the close ones we won and NT could be 6-12 instead of 9-12.

even if we hired Avery Johnson as our head coach, the super pit wouldn't fill up (remember when the mavs scrimaged there).. Half the students at UNT don't even seem to know we have a basketball team, but can you blame them? What advertising do you see for the basketball team? I have seen a few 20 second commercials that looked like they came straight out of the '80s.. There has to be a better way to get the word out about the team.. I don't know how many times i've told a fellow UNT student that I was going to a men's basketball game, and them say "are they actually good this year".. If we have a winning record and some good road wins, the word should get out and students should know.. Is that really J.J.'s job?

Oh, I totally agree marketing for basketball is bad and seriously lacking. Scheduling D-II teams doesn't help either.

What do you market?

The win over 10-10 Rice?

A loss to a 7-14 UTA team?

Beating a 9-11 UNCC team?

A squeaker over 3-18 Nicholl's State

SFA was a good win since they are at least 13-7, but that won't grab hearts and minds... the Tulsa win is looking big depending on how they continue to push in conference...

The problems here are deeper than the need for posters - people at this school will not even remotely start giving a crap until something over the top happens. Football needed 4 conference titles and a bowl win to really start solidifying their status as anything above a joke to many students and fans and for some this still never happened. This is an apathetic school and the problem is not that people don't know, it's that they don't want to know. You don't overcome that by bombing them with messaging. Besides, for a budget as tight as ours, you need a 3:1 or 4:1 payoff to justify any of the promotions you all are thinking about.

I recommend reading anything by John Spoelstra, a highly regarded figure in sports marketing who's worked for the Nets and Trailblazers. In some of his books, he talks about how crappy the Nets product was in the 90s and how the strategy became market the opposition and the schedule. We don't have that luxury here because we are still building b-ball credibility and taking the Billy Gillespie schedule approach - which is fine, for now - if it keeps moving forward (we can debate that later.) After selling the schedule and building a base, Spoelstra then went to work on the in-game experience, but since most of our fans seem to know how to do little than boo or sort of follow cheers, that won't turn around any time soon either. I think his approach is more notable than what Cuban did b/c Cuban had resources on his side we will never see. Spoelstra did it on a shoe string.

I'm not against blasting marketing, but until the schedule or the results change (and they may this year), arguing for more posters and waisted advertising to give the appearance of something won't do it. This is much more than a simple messaging problem.

Of course, we could always shoot more threes....consequences be damned.

Fact is over the last 40 years or so NTSU/UNT has not been BB friendly on attendance.

Except for a brief period of time when Spika (sp) was filling the old PIT and Blakley was bringing in very repectable crowds to the new PIT on those 20+ winning teams.

Face it.....to call for the firing of a coach because attendance was 1300 is crazy along with the team being 14-7.

JJ is an excellent coach.

Perhaps all of you who want to fire JJ because of attendance are the problem?? Perhaps yall should set up a committee and bring the fans in......instead of what you are blogging about.

And for those who think we could easily be 7-14 conversley we could be undefeated if you want to play the "WHAT IF GAME."

Edited by eulesseagle