Buchanan From Gilmer,tx, Any Word On Him?

Got5onIt

Gilmer, Texas linebacker Dominique Buchanan didn't make his first official visit this weekend to check out North Texas, but he does plan to get that visit rescheduled.

Dominique Buchanan could be committing to North Texas soon.

The 6-foot-1, 235-pounder says that the Mean Green are near the top of his list. He would have made the trip to Denton, Texas but was unable to get transportation. Buchanan plans to get that figured out soon and make the drive on another weekend.

"I'm going to talk to G.J. Kinne's step father and see if he can give me a ride on another weekend," Buchanan said. "Other than North Texas, the only other school I'm still is Arkansas-Pine Bluff."

Buchanan says that his interest in schools such as Michigan and Oklahoma State fell because he wanted to stay as close to home as possible. That's why North Texas looks to be a probable destination.

"It's a good school and it's close to home," Buchanan said. "If I like it up there and they officially make me that offer, I'll commit."

This was from Monday he is scheduled to be in town this weekend and it looks like the only competition left is Arkansas Pine Bluff. So I think our odds are pretty good.

How does Arkansas Pine-Bluff, a 1-AA member of the SWAC, end up as our only competition if he is rated as highly as has been claimed?

Don't ask I've been trying to figure out the same thing but that was the article on rivals and now we are the only team on his list. He should commit this weekend on his visit.

Don't ask I've been trying to figure out the same thing but that was the article on rivals and now we are the only team on his list. He should commit this weekend on his visit.

I would have to guess it has to do with academics. I mean this guy is rated as the #10 ILB in the nation by ESPN and I believe scouts.com has him in the top 50 for LBs. Even though I don't put a lot into these rankings , im sure if he could get into any school he would have 20+ offers easy based on these rankings.

I would have to guess it has to do with academics. I mean this guy is rated as the #10 ILB in the nation by ESPN and I believe scouts.com has him in the top 50 for LBs. Even though I don't put a lot into these rankings , im sure if he could get into any school he would have 20+ offers easy based on these rankings.

Correct me if I'm wrong but everything I'm finding online says the academic requirements are the same for both D1-A and D1-AA. Each school can impose tougher requirements but NCAA rules are the same for both divisions. If this is the case I'm more confused by the UNT - Pine Bluff debate. Since if they have to play by the same rules and he doesn't qualify he would end up at a JUCO and transfer once he qualifies.

I think the big issues are staying close to home and having a legitimate shot at playing. It's hard to put a value on "potential" but I'm sure if he's as good as recruiting services claim he is, he could be a 3 year starter. He would probably ride the bench at bigger schools. I'm not downing our current LB's in any way, it's just that they are not on equal footing with most of the SEC, Big12, & Big 10 LBers as a whole.

Edited by Got5onIt

Gilmer, Texas linebacker Dominique Buchanan didn't make his first official visit this weekend to check out North Texas, but he does plan to get that visit rescheduled.

Dominique Buchanan could be committing to North Texas soon.

The 6-foot-1, 235-pounder says that the Mean Green are near the top of his list. He would have made the trip to Denton, Texas but was unable to get transportation. Buchanan plans to get that figured out soon and make the drive on another weekend.

"I'm going to talk to G.J. Kinne's step father and see if he can give me a ride on another weekend," Buchanan said. "Other than North Texas, the only other school I'm still is Arkansas-Pine Bluff."

Buchanan says that his interest in schools such as Michigan and Oklahoma State fell because he wanted to stay as close to home as possible. That's why North Texas looks to be a probable destination.

"It's a good school and it's close to home," Buchanan said. "If I like it up there and they officially make me that offer, I'll commit."

This was from Monday he is scheduled to be in town this weekend and it looks like the only competition left is Arkansas Pine Bluff. So I think our odds are pretty good.

All I know is we better pull out the girls and show this guy a great time!!! :)

Since seeing this guy is having trouble getting transportation, to me that means this is one kid that truly needs a scholarship to go to school. This has to be a guy that will have a strong will to work hard and become a football player that we need. Lets just hope this weekend's visit goes well and we get a firm verbal committment and signature on signing day.

Grades are the biggest reason he's not going to a better school. If his grades were better he'd be a Big-12 caliber recruit.

And if he had a better attitude then he'd be a Big 10 caliber recruit.

Grades are the biggest reason he's not going to a better school. If his grades were better he'd be a Big-12 caliber recruit.

Oh yeah, I remember when Oklahoma State graduated a future NFL'er who could not even read after he left Stillwater. :rolleyes: Didn't Texas Tech just a few years ago have a kid from DeSoto who never went to class but still made it to his senior year?

Not sure I am quite ready to put all Big 12 schools at the "Ivy League" level. In fact, I think getting in most of those schools would be similar to getting into UNT for what its worth. UNT is hardly an open enrollment school. It's also not a teacher's college anymore, either. For those who still want to call UNT a commuter school we have more students percentage-wise who live on/near our campus than UT-Austin (according to an NT Ex whose son graduated from UT). AND.................UNT is the largest residential campus this side of UT-Austin. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to start counting all of UNT's older, newer and soon to be finished ultra-modern dorms to figure all of that out.

Sometimes its not getting in all these schools thats the toughest thing to do anyway; but rather its getting out of all these schools that can be the real challenge. :blink::)

Oh yeah, I remember when Oklahoma State graduated a future NFL'er who could not even read after he left Stillwater. :rolleyes: Didn't Texas Tech just a few years ago have a kid from DeSoto who never went to class but still made it to his senior year?

Not sure I am quite ready to put all Big 12 schools at the "Ivy League" level. In fact, I think getting in most of those schools would be similar to getting into UNT for what its worth. UNT is hardly an open enrollment school. It's also not a teacher's college anymore, either. For those who still want to call UNT a commuter school we have more students percentage-wise who live on/near our campus than UT-Austin (according to an NT Ex whose son graduated from UT). AND.................UNT is the largest residential campus this side of UT-Austin. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to start counting all of UNT's older, newer and soon to be finished ultra-modern dorms to figure all of that out.

Sometimes its not getting in all these schools thats the toughest thing to do anyway; but rather its getting out of all these schools that can be the real challenge. :blink::)

I thought that one from OK. that coudn't read was Dexter Manley. Didn't he go to OU? I'm not sure, just thought so. I agree about the open enrollment school issue, but UNT does offer programs that might help guys who aren't the strongest of students. In other words, If Dexter Manley went to UNT, he would have gotten out knowing how to read and he would have been educated.

I thought that one from OK. that coudn't read was Dexter Manley. Didn't he go to OU? I'm not sure, just thought so. I agree about the open enrollment school issue, but UNT does offer programs that might help guys who aren't the strongest of students. In other words, If Dexter Manley went to UNT, he would have gotten out knowing how to read and he would have been educated.

I am pretty sure that is Manley could avoid going to classes for 18 years plus 4 more at OU, he could have avoided some classes at UNT. At some point its not the institution, its the person. What HS did Manley go to? Do they not teach their football players to read?

I am pretty sure that is Manley could avoid going to classes for 18 years plus 4 more at OU, he could have avoided some classes at UNT. At some point its not the institution, its the person. What HS did Manley go to? Do they not teach their football players to read?

Good point. Of course, Buchanan could be a solid student. I hope he goes with us.

Yes sir that Desoto great was Byron Hanspard....I believe he literally had a 0.0 GPA. As far as UNT and Denton is concerned....Denton is the next Austin in about 10-20 years...afcourse it will never be the capital like Austin but other than that Denton will be the next Austin if not better....ESPECIALLY if UNT athletics just skyrocket like we are hoping too.