Unt Gets Six More Oral Commitments

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...22.87786c6.html

UNT gets six more oral commitments

Mean Green adds to haul of wide receivers

10:28 PM CST on Sunday, January 21, 2007

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Former Southlake Carroll standout Kyle Russo left Denton on Sunday with the feeling he had joined a program on the rise after orally committing to North Texas.

Russo became even more enthusiastic later in the day when he found out some of the top players who visited UNT over the weekend joined him in committing to play for the Mean Green and its new head coach Todd Dodge.

"I am excited about the caliber of players I am coming in with," Russo said. "I have played against a lot of the guys who are coming in. Once we get established we are going to be wrecking some people. The winning tradition we established at Carroll is just moving north."

UNT continued to load up on wide receivers in its latest recruiting haul of six but also took on three defensive players. Russo joined Atlanta (Texas) linebacker Marquese Davis and San Antonio Lee defensive lineman Jesse DeSoto in UNT's group of defensive recruits.

Marcus King of Euless Trinity, Sam Roberson of Sommerville and Jason Martinson of Birdville rounded out the Mean Green's group of commitments. All three are expected to play wide receiver in Dodge's new spread offense. UNT has seven wide receiver recruits with one official visit weekend remaining.

Brenham cornerback Kevin Ealey said he was almost certain he would join the class early Sunday evening but had yet to make a final decision.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 7.

Several of the players who committed to the Mean Green over the weekend have impressive high school credentials, including Russo.

The 6-4, 235-pound defensive end was a first-team selection on The Dallas Morning News' All-Area team after finishing with 21 sacks as a senior. He received scholarship offers from Central Florida, Baylor, Air Force and Navy.

DeSoto (6-0, 280) was also one of the top players in one of Texas' major metropolitan areas. The San Antonio Express-News rated the first-team All-District 26-5A selection No. 7 among recruits in San Antonio and No. 100 in the state.

DeSoto received scholarship offers from Missouri, Houston, Utah and Navy in addition to UNT.

"Everything looks like it is coming together for North Texas," DeSoto said. "I liked the new coaching staff. They are trying to do it the right way. I believe in them."

Davis (6-2, 235) didn't have any other scholarship offers, but was a first-team All-District 16-3A selection.

Each of the three wide receivers to commit to UNT over the weekend posted solid senior seasons.

Roberson (6-4, 210) was an honorable mention Class 2A all-state selection both as a wide receiver and defensive back. Roberson (44 catches for 1,024 yards) and Martinson (57 catches for 1,027 yards) both cleared the 1,000-yard mark in receiving yards.

Martinson was a unanimous first-team All-District 6-4A selection.

King (6-3, 205) was a first-team All-District 7-5A selection after finishing with 27 catches for 559 yards in a run-first offense.

Roberson was the most highly recruited of UNT's latest batch of receivers. He was scheduled to visit Alabama and was also recruited by TCU, Oklahoma State and Clemson.

Roberson will also be making the biggest jump in terms of competition when he signs with UNT after playing at the 2A level in high school.

"It will be a lot different, but I will be ready," Roberson said. "The corners will be more physical, but I will work hard to become more physical."

Ealey was among a few players who was still pondering multiple offers after visiting UNT. UTEP has offered Ealey a scholarship and he is scheduled to visit Houston next weekend.

Austin Westlake athlete Bron Hager is considering offers from Baylor and UNT, while Keller Fossil Ridge offensive lineman Ben Leung will visit the Air Force Academy this weekend. Leung has given a soft oral commitment to play for the Falcons, but is still considering UNT.

Hager is being recruited as a safety by UNT even though he played linebacker and fullback in high school.

Hebron linebacker Bryan Iwuji visited UNT, but committed to Texas State.

UNT has now received 10 oral commitments in addition to taking on wide receiver Evan Fentriss, who will sit out the upcoming season after transferring from Rice.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

North Texas commitments

The following is a list of players who have orally committed to play for North Texas

Pos. Player School

LB Marquese Davis Atlanta

DL Jesse DeSoto San Antonio Lee

WR Sam Dibrell S.A. Alamo Heights

WR Breece Johnson Colleyville Heritage

WR Marcus King Euless Trinity

WR Jason Martinson Birdville

LB Justin Padron Southlake Carroll

WR Sam Roberson Sommerville

DE Kyle Russo Southlake Carroll

WR Evan Walker Colleyville Heritage

Transfers

WR Evan Fentriss Rice*

* Note — will be eligible beginning in the 2008 season

All this early info is getting me all pumped up for football season....

At the UNT basketball game on Saturday when Coach Dodge was announced to the crowd, he got as big an ovation as Avery Johnson got when the Mavs had their Blue-White scrimmage at the Super Pit...so apparently I'm not the only one excited for the football season.

Guys, how often have we landed oral committments from guys being recruited and offered by schools like Utah, Clemson, Baylor, Alabama, Air Force, Oklahoma State, Missouri, UCF, etc? That in itself excites the heck out of me.

Agree 100%. I can say without a doubt that I am more excited about the next 2 to 3 seasons at North Texas than I have been in a long time. I definitely feel like recruiting has taken a step forward...and TD was late getting in the game on recruiting. What will it be like next year? My ONLY concern is the OL and DL. I am assuming that he has looked at his returning players and feels they can fit the bill in that department. I will trust his judgement, cause I have the distinct impression that he knows what he is doing.

"I am excited about the caliber of players I am coming in with," Russo said. "I have played against a lot of the guys who are coming in. Once we get established we are going to be wrecking some people. The winning tradition we established at Carroll is just moving north."

:D

does anyone know if they are going to sign any o-linemen this year? hope so they could really use it.

The younger guys on the team showed that they were hungry and eager to perform. The starting O-line just seemed complacent. I think the loss of Harold Etheridge and the addition of Spencer Leftwich for a second tour may show that we have surprising talent in the younger guys. They have just been terribly coached the last 3 years. I mean hiring a guy that got fired after an 0-13 season was the best we could do?

I work with a guy that plays football at south lake and is a junior with Riley. According to him Riley is considering NT for reasons such as free school, he has experience with dodge's system and he likes playing for his dad. However, he is afraid everyone will think he is there because his dad is the coach blah blah. I know it sounds lame but thats what i was told.

I work with a guy that plays football at south lake and is a junior with Riley. According to him Riley is considering NT for reasons such as free school, he has experience with dodge's system and he likes playing for his dad. However, he is afraid everyone will think he is there because his dad is the coach blah blah. I know it sounds lame but thats what i was told.

I don't think it sounds lame at all. If I were Riley I'd have the exact same concerns. Winning will calm those concerns.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!