Some Quotes From Dr. Bataille

SUMG

(This is from a story ("Bucks may not stop with Saban" on page 17C of the Sunday DMN):

Gretchen Bataille, the new President at North Texas, says her main mission is to expand UNT's identity beyond the region. One of her first moves was hiring a new football coach, Todd Dodge from Southlake Carroll.

Bataille, stresses academics, but she said, "Football--sports in general--can be the face of your institution."

Dodge's annual base pay is $185,000. He has incentives for conference championships, bowls, ticket sales, and classroom performance that could increase his total to slightly more than $300,000.

"It makes a difference for him, and it makes a difference for us, if he makes the incentives," Bataille said.

Two thoughts from me:

1) I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that Dr. Bataille would equal the great Norval Pohl. Heck, in the long run, she may even do more for us than Dr. Pohl. Anyway, Dr. Bataille has been a wonderful hire, we're blessed to have her.

2) Am glad to see that TD has an incentive based on classroom performance.

I think the best thing about Dr. B is the amount of improvements she has made in such a short time. She hasnt even been here a year and has already done great things. I really like how she is doing her tour throughout the country and also holding times when the students can talk to her directly. Glad to have Dr. B as our president!!!

...and also holding times when the students can talk to her directly.

?? I hadn't heard about this. What is she doing exactly? Just allowing students to schedule appointments or does she hold an open forum meeting?

I share the sentiments shared so far....Dr. B is awesome and is like the natural progression of Dr. Pohl at UNT...if that makes any sense.

?? I hadn't heard about this. What is she doing exactly? Just allowing students to schedule appointments or does she hold an open forum meeting?

I believe he's talking about the open forum sessions she held last semester. There were two open forum sessions within a few days of each other. They were called "Really, Let's Talk", which is funny because Dr. Pohl's were called "Let's Talk."

As a current student I've been very impressed with her. I work for NTTV, and at the beginning of the fall semester we did a 30 minute interview special to introduce her to the student body. She opened up her home to us for a portion of the interview and was very kind and inviting. I also talked to her for a good 15 minutes in Austin while tailgating for the Texas game. I think she's doing a great job for UNT.

So far i've been a fan of Dr. Bataille. She's pursuing things that are necessary and vital for NT to become recognizable not only within the state of TX but nationally as well. As far as her commitment to athletics....I am pretty certain that she was influenced before coming here because she was at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I mean that is a pure basketball school but has an excellent athletics program in general....being around that atmosphere I think opened her mind into thinking that athletics is really brings out true character into an institution.

Some great changes are happening on campus... My only real beefs are:

1) Flat tuition rates for full-time students (charging 15 hours even if you only take 12)

2) Offering senior-year required courses only once a week (usually during working hours).

Both of these issues are especially tough for working adult students.

2) Offering senior-year required courses only once a week (usually during working hours).

Academic schedules are set something like a year in advance. It is also something a university president has little control over (nor should she be messing with class schedules).

Academic schedules are set something like a year in advance. It is also something a university president has little control over (nor should she be messing with class schedules).

I agree that it's not really the President's responsibility. I need to complain to the COBA dean. It still riles my hackles. I can't go to my boss next year (my last semester) and say "I need to work half days for the next 4 months."

I agree that it's not really the President's responsibility. I need to complain to the COBA dean. It still riles my hackles. I can't go to my boss next year (my last semester) and say "I need to work half days for the next 4 months."

Best bet might be to get with the prof that teaches the course to see what you can do in regards to scheduling.

You are not the first and won't be the last to run into that scheduling issue. Also, don't look for the schedule to change any time soon. Just like you might have scheduling issues, so might the prof that teaches the course, and COBA is more likely to go with the prof more then a couple students.

Dodge's annual base pay is $185,000. He has incentives for conference championships, bowls, ticket sales, and classroom performance that could increase his total to slightly more than $300,000.

Compared to what most 1-A's pay for a HC, UNT got a very good deal for Dodge's services!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Compared to what most 1-A's pay for a HC, UNT got a very good deal for Dodge's services!

Yes, they did but the figure is a little misleading. He gets incentives for staying in the NCAA, the Sun Belt, finishing the season and a radio show that raise the base to $273 thousand, which includes a car allowance. Those are extremely easy and require little more than showing up. The tougher incentives are based on wins, season ticket sales, conference championships, etc. and will be much harder to meet.

Bataille, stresses academics, but she said, "Football--sports in general--can be the face of your institution."

Absolutely.... for those who doubt this do you think anyone in Texas would know about Gonzaga if it wasn't for their success in basketball.

School can go too gung ho maybe but success in a program or two can really be helpful in recruiting students (not just athletes) and in collecting donations for all types of programs....not just athletics. I would think that name-recognition also helps recent grads obtain jobs as well plus it usually helps the image of the school as a major university (not one of the many unknowns).

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66