Terrible, Terrible News

UNTLifer

When I saw the news story a few days ago on channel 8 they said that he was deciding on where he wanted to play football in college and that he was being nicely recruited by good and big programs. Not sure if there is truth to that but regardless thats a terrible tragedy and my condolences goes to all his friends, family and the whole community of weatherford for this tragic loss.

I live and work here in Weatherford, and yes, this is shaking our entire community.

One of the posters asked about his scholarship offers. He was going to play at Cisco JC next year and then transfer to a D-1.

He was Homecoming King, a member of the choir, made decent grades, and just an all-around good kid.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for our town.

And Go Mean Green!

I live and work here in Weatherford, and yes, this is shaking our entire community.

One of the posters asked about his scholarship offers. He was going to play at Cisco JC next year and then transfer to a D-1.

He was Homecoming King, a member of the choir, made decent grades, and just an all-around good kid.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for our town.

And Go Mean Green!

I came up on that wreck just minutes after it happened (on Main St. in front of Tractor Supply and Goodwill) because the police department had blocked off about a quarter mile each side of the accident and I couldn't get to my destination. I was en route to buy some goat feed at TSC but (as I said) they had closed off the wreck area for a bit over 2 hours. After I finally got over to TSC, the vehicle was still on site and I thought at that time after viewing it that there would be no way whoever was driving that vehicle could have ever survived that crash.

Brent is right, though, as this tragedy has shook up the entire Weatherford/Parker County area which (although growing leaps and bounds like the rest of the Metroplex) still has much of the small town flavor.

Had to go back to the area around the scene of the accident yesterday and Weatherford HS kids were off that part of Main St. taking drive-by donations for this young man's family to help with expenses.

The only thing worse that many of us in Parker County can recall that had a similar impact to our locals was when the 4 teenage girls from Brock HS were killed by a drunk driver several Christmases ago. As Long Jim said in his above post: "A parent's worst nightmare."

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The mother of one of the young man's good friends at school came into the Euless Library today looking for an article about the accident. She said that he was a really good kid and really well-liked by his classmates. Said he pulled out in front of a car and got T-boned, that it was such a shame that it always seemed to happen to the really good kids. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who loved Willie.

GMG!

I haven't posted on this yet because I've been so pissed about it, mainly because I have expected all along that it was probably due to someone's negligence and carelessness behind the wheel of a motor vehicle and having zero concerns to the dangers of speed, agressive driving etc. I live it nearly once a month or two, and it sickens me. But it's a sorry reality of my job. We are bombarded daily about guns(31,000(15,000 self inflicted) or war(3,000 in Iraq) killing people but not so much as a sneeze at the annual 45,000+ americans who die senselessly on our roads and highways.

The area where the wreck happened that Plum posted about is a disaster in and of itself due to the overcrowding from all the new commercialization going on in the Weatherford 51/Main St region. I was thinking that perhaps the exact spot where "BB" was killed was a low speed area so I drove over there today to look for myself. It's hard to believe but he died in a 35 mph speed zone that is often times so crowded you would be lucky to go 5 mph. At that spot the two lanes(it's four, 2 north and 2 southbound with a turn lane in the middle) southbound merge down to one, and goes up a fairly severe, steep grade in which the point of impact is the peak of the grade. The police have been looking for a third party(driving a lincoln) to the wreck and yesterday they found him in which he turned himself in. It's reported by several witnesses to the wreck that this guy, and the original one they have been questioning(driving a dark, chevy pickup) were RACING up the hill, one trying to force their way over in front of the other at the merge. As it turned out, neither wanted to give in to the other and started to bump each other, all while accelerating up the steep grade. As I read one of the witness' statement in today's Weatherford Democrat, she said just as "BB" made it across to the north bound lane the lincoln bumped the pickup just enough that the pickup lost control and hit the boy's car. The lincoln corrected itself and sped off. Looking at picures posted of the car it doesn't look anything like what you would normally think of as being part of a fatality(I see uh oh fender benders at slow speed red lights all the time with more damage). Of course we now know it hit him in the b post portion of the driver side door, right about where the left temple usually is when your driving.

Carelssness, racing and rage took another innocent life. Sickening!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick