More Recruiting Rumors

PerryG2480

There are outstanding, overachieving 5-foot-10 linebackers on almost every high school team in the state of Texas. Very, very, very few of them turn into Mike Singletary, Zach Thomas or Sam Mills. Instead of signing Padron, why didn’t Dodge just buy a lottery ticket? Same odds. (Just kidding)

The Justin Padron/Chris Hurd comparisons are not legit. Hurd was every bit of 6-foot-1 or 6-foot-2 and was as thick as an oak tree. Padron is really only about 5-10.

A kid like Padron who was coached by Todd Dodge in high school is probably already as good now as he will be as a senior in college. That may be good enough to be All-Sun-Belt, who knows?

I still like Padron at North Texas because he is hard working, a good leader, he’ll probably graduate, he can be a good liaison between Dodge and the team and he helps establish a Southlake pipeline. It’s fine to sign one or two kids like Padron in the class, but you also need some kids with higher upsides, who haven’t come close to realizing their potential physically yet.

What young man stops developing at the age of 17 or 18?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.5atexasfootball.com/forum/vB/sh...ead.php?t=14410

Thread on Dez Bryant. Sounds like we have a very slim shot at him, but people are saying that he is going to at least visit NT.

Loved this post. Never thought I would see NT keeping this kind of company.

I think Dez's college choice is critical. He needs a demanding coach with a great wr coach that can maximize his talent, which is as good as any wr in America - but it does need some work/focus. Some programs that appear good in this area might include (in random order):

1) Louisville

2) Boise St.

3) UNT (as of two weeks ago)

4) TxTech

5) USC

6) Texas

Schools that might not fit this bill:

1) A&M

2) LSU

3) Anywhere in Fl. except the Gators

I really like the Louisville program - all of it.

What young man stops developing at the age of 17 or 18?

Unless he's secretly a dwarf, this height talk is ridiculous. We're not looking for him to double as a power forward, we're looking for him to be a power hitter behind the defensive line. If he's a little light, we have a fancy new training facility available for him to remedy that situation in due time. The kid's only 18 years old and I don't think we're asking him to be an all-american this year. Sounds to me like he has the heart and desire to get the job done soon enough.

If every team has 5'10 overachieving linebacker, perhaps you are misusing the term overachieve?

To say the kid has reached his ceiling is ludicrous -

seriously, everyone is looking at this all wrong. If he is only 5'10 it should take him longer to reach a Celing than a guy who is say 6'5.

Justin Padron is undersized, slow and an overachiever. A class full of guys like that is fine for Austin College, Midwestern State or Angelo State, but to win at the Division IA level you need big, fast overachievers. Padron may be able to play at the D-1 level, but give us some stud athletes in this class, too

I totally forgot we have all the facilities, money, prestige and perks by being in a bcs conference like UT, OU, A&M, USC and etc to get all these "big, fast overachievers".

Unless he's secretly a dwarf, this height talk is ridiculous. We're not looking for him to double as a power forward, we're looking for him to be a power hitter behind the defensive line. If he's a little light, we have a fancy new training facility available for him to remedy that situation in due time. The kid's only 18 years old and I don't think we're asking him to be an all-american this year. Sounds to me like he has the heart and desire to get the job done soon enough.

That's right, there may be too much concern about his size. He comes from a winning program. 5'10 may be small, but if at 5'10 he beats out a guy who is 6'2 what does THAT say about him. Besides, what are the other alternatives at this point? like someone said earlier, Todd knows this kid and obviously knows that he can contribute.

That's right, there may be too much concern about his size. He comes from a winning program. 5'10 may be small, but if at 5'10 he beats out a guy who is 6'2 what does THAT say about him. Besides, what are the other alternatives at this point? like someone said earlier, Todd knows this kid and obviously knows that he can contribute.

Where did 5'10" come from? I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'0" to 6'2".

Undersized LB's for UT:

R. Babino 5'11" 230

J. Campbell 6'2" 220

A. Cobb 6'0" 205

S. Derry 6'3" 220

D. Earnest 6'3" 217

D. Kelson 6'2" 215

R. Killebrew 6'3" 230

C. Kugler 6'2" 220

When you consider that these guys have had the benefit of at least a year or so in college under diet and conditioning training, I really don't see a difference as far as size goes.

Only Babino and Cobb are undersized. Babino runs a 4.5 so he can get away with being small. Padron is no where near that fast. Never heard of Cobb, but I guarantee he is fast if he is on scholarship at UT.

If every team has 5'10 overachieving linebacker, perhaps you are misusing the term overachieve?

To say the kid has reached his ceiling is ludicrous - he is about to see a faster game against better competition and learn from them. The one thing I posted and saw from watching the Southlake/Allen game in person was how well the linebackers and players played against cut backs, options, and other gap control and discipline-bending plays. Why bash a kid who coems in with fundamentals and a desire to be here. Quit digging for reasons to bitch - unless you enjoy stirring things up, which I firmly disagree with....morally...

I never bashed Padron, I welcome him to my alma mater. I stated only facts. He has below average size and speed for a Division 1A linebacker. Dickey could have signed this guy if we are the only D1 school offering him. As far as his ceiling... He is probably as tall as he is going to get. He can't put on much more weight and maintain the speed he has and most kids are already as fast as they are going to be at 18 years old (of course, he may get slightly faster). He's been in the Southlake program for the last 6 years so his strength has been developed well already.

He was an AWESOME high school player, but the reason no other D1A schools offered him is because he is probably already close to reaching his potential physically.

That said, I hope he goes on to become the greatest player in UNT history. I'm fine with Dodge signing a guy he has gone to battle with already and trusts. I just hope he signs some other guys with higher upside.

P.S. -- if you morally disagree with someone playing devil's advocate, why are you posting on a "discussion" board?

Come on people. What is it you want? You finally get a new coach and your aren't happy about the recruits that want to come and play for a proven coach because of their size.

How many of you have been through the recruiting process? Be happy because we are getting young men who want to come and try to play D1 football because of the reputation of the new coach. Why can't you be positive? Many of you wanted a new HC? You got that! Many of you want more recruits from the metroplex. You are getting that and yet you are whinning and complaining about their size and their ability to play D1. Give me a break!

Show some faith in Todd Dodge and his new staff. Let them be the judge of talent, size and speed before you go spouting off. Jeesh. Coach Dodge hasn't even held his first practice nor is the recruiting season over and some of you are already questioning EVERYTHING.

I don't think Chris Hurd is 6'1. I'm sorry to disagree Insurance Pro, but Coach Dodge knows players. I don't think Coach Dodge is going to recruit those who he doesn't believe in his heart can help the Mean Green. I believe Padron's going to surprize ya!

I put my trust in Coach Dodge. Talent is more than stats!

The excitement is building...

Sure appreciate your opinion....but, I believe time will show ParksAndRecRick right on this one!

One thing we BOTH can say... GO MEAN GREEN!!!

DUCK...the time is now!

most kids are already as fast as they are going to be at 18 years old (of course, he may get slightly faster)

You haven't told JQ that have you? Because I believe that's what some other schools told him, before he got to campus and worked his butt off. And now he has 4.4-4.5 speed (anchored the 100 meter team if I remember right).

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Good news on trying to get a 4-star.

Justin Padron is just one guy and nobody here really knows anything about him. Everybody cool your jets and let's see what happens.

I know I've watched him play the past two years and he's one of the best LB's in HS I've seen play, ever! And he's nearly a clone coming out of HS to that of #55 of the Jets when he came out of HS, only Padron is faster getting to the ball. He has the perfect mindset and attitude you want for the LB position. He was most times in the correct position to make the play and the two coaches most responsible for helping him learn that will be with him the next four years. Does any of this mean he will be the next Brad Kassell at NT? No. It means out of HS he has the potential to be that good, or better, and that's all anyone can ask for.

Rick

Yeah I think he's too short also. His center of gravity is way too low to be able to handle all of the 5' 9"- 6' RB's whom he'll be asked to tackle. I also think that Coach Dodge is way to short to be a D1 head coach. How the hell is he supposed to see over all of those towering 6' line judges? Just a hopeless situation. :(