Rumors and speculation

bigrobdsp

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

150%, gangrene...

Ok, I was just curious if his profile was high enough for you. wink.gif Personally, I was very confident in hiring TD about two months ago. I can't say that I'm not still confident he's the right man for the job, but I'm nervous as hell about this hire because I know how much is riding on it. I can't believe I'm saying this but I wouldn't want to be in RV's shoes right now. blink.gif However, if I believed everything I've been posting for the last three months then I'd know there are no fewer than a dozen coaches who could be successful at UNT.

This is your list of high profile coaches that were going to be waiting in line for the UNT job

UNT just doesn't have a Jitter Nolen (NTSU prez who hired Fry) who can think outside the box enough to go for the "collegiate" high profile coach on our campus right now IMHO. sad.gif

Back then, jjpfootball, I never even thought about Todd Dodge, but in light of new information on him and the fact that I believe he could recruit the most highly recruited QB in UNT football history (among others) in 2007, ie, his own son, I think he is a "high profile" hire that most any Texas HS coach (at any level of the UIL and Texas Assoc. of Private Schools) would all know who Todd Dodge is PLUS..............

............Coach Dodge already has 2 years of very valuable experience as a UNT assistant football coach several years ago (albeit it under Parker); so he would not be a total stranger to our situation in Denton (but this time around he would be working with far better facilites even from the git-go than he did when he was at UNT before). Also, IMO, I believe Todd Dodge coupled with Rick Villarreal would find us the next few Big Donors who will help us start and finish a new football stadium. Just a gut feeling with that.

Rick V might have a Mississippi buddy up his sleeve and you know what, that person might be very, very qualified for our job, too, but in light of Helwig's crony hiring of DD (and the way it came down and then bit us in the butt) I don't think that kind of hire this time around by RV would play well in Denton and the UNT community at all. In fact, I am afraid it could backfire from a perception and public relations standpoint.

Rick V has a very important decision he will soon make (along with our new president who is a part of this process). RV also probably needs to pull the trigger on some other deadwood inside the UNT Athletic Department as several of us had hoped he would have done his first week on the UNT payroll; but as some of us have learned only recently, the man was very strapped from doing his AD job by one (mabye two) "higher ups" who probably need to be hung from the tallest oak tree out at Pilot Knob off I35-W and by their short-hairs for interfering with RV's job that he was paid to do. blink.gif

PS

FFR, if you're reading this, I am getting thunder, lightening and "sleet" as I post out here off Bankhead. Are you at home and getting the same?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

And just think about it... if he ever had a down season we could always strike him down.  Then he'd become more powerful than we could ever imagine...

EDIT:  I have been told that it was actually Obi-Wan Kenobi who had that line.  I now officially endorse him, too, as a possible coaching candidate.

Palpatine also makes this comment in Ep 6: Return of the Jedi.

Plum, I don't disagree with what you have said but for a new coach to be successful he will have to come in and take charge of his department and make changes that will make a difference for the players to be successful. Money for the right assistant coaches. A speed and agility program, nutrition, sand pit and an indoor practice facility are just a few things that would assist the players in being successful. If you want to be a big time football program you need to act like one, give the athletes the opportunity to be in the best condition they can possible be. The sand pit is a great example. The board was willing to assist with that need last year but for some reason it didn't happen. I know that everyone on this board does everthing they can afford to do for the program but it will take every dime that can be raised to take this program to the next level.

Plum, I don't disagree with what you have said but for a new coach to be successful he will have to come in and take charge of his department and make changes that will make a difference for the players to be successful.  Money for the right assistant coaches.  A speed and agility program, nutrition, sand pit and an indoor practice facility are just a few things that would assist the players in being successful.  If you want to be a big time football program you need to act like one, give the athletes the opportunity to be in the best condition they can possible be.  The sand pit is a great example.  The board was willing to assist with that need last year but for some reason it didn't happen.  I know that everyone on this board does everthing they can afford to do for the program but it will take every dime that can be raised to take this program to the next level.

I don't disagree with what you've posted. As they say.....you're preaching to the choir, jjpfootball.

Plum, I don't disagree with what you have said but for a new coach to be successful he will have to come in and take charge of his department and make changes that will make a difference for the players to be successful.  Money for the right assistant coaches.  A speed and agility program, nutrition, sand pit and an indoor practice facility are just a few things that would assist the players in being successful.  If you want to be a big time football program you need to act like one, give the athletes the opportunity to be in the best condition they can possible be.  The sand pit is a great example.  The board was willing to assist with that need last year but for some reason it didn't happen.  I know that everyone on this board does everthing they can afford to do for the program but it will take every dime that can be raised to take this program to the next level.

I agree, it's about more than just searching for a head coach, it's about a whole football "system" change. I think Dodge can be that person. The main thing this program needs in the short-term is EXCITEMENT. Something to inspire FANS to want to join in and get involved ($). It is a big decision for RV, affecting more than just Xs and Os. $$$$$ and fans for the program are also on the line with this hire! ohmy.gif

The sand pit is a great example.  The board was willing to assist with that need last year but for some reason it didn't happen. 

As I recall, everyone was ready to go help build it, but the contact (Beau Davidson) just basically went AWOL on us. He came on and posted once or twice, and we never heard back from him.

If such a project were to come back again, I could probably clear some time on a Saturday.

As I recall, everyone was ready to go help build it, but the contact (Beau Davidson) just basically went AWOL on us.  He came on and posted once or twice, and we never heard back from him.

If such a project were to come back again, I could probably clear some time on a Saturday.

For some reason I thought I remembered him coming on the board and stating that he had hit a wall with the admin and that once they gave the okay we would revisit it...

• 3 weeks later...