A Helpful Hint or two

class84

Coach:

Your quarterback of the future is not currently on the roster. The most important task for you and your brand new offensive coach staff is to recruit the guy that you want to lead your rebuilding effort. Any time dedicated to a quarterback currently on the roster is wasted.

The quarterback you recruit should be given the starting job no more than 15 minutes after he signs his letter of intent. Let him take his lumps learning your system. UNT fans have seen a lot of bad times, and we'll hang in there with you installing a new offense and new offensive leaders.

Any statement to the effect of "We can win with (current UNT quarterback) leading us" will be met with immediate skepticism and questions about your ability to evaluate talent.

Also please incinerate the freaking black unis as soon as possible. Last time I checked we are called the Mean Green, not the Bad Black.

I really thought Phillips was the guy we could hold on to, buy after tonight I'm afraid I was wrong.

Meager is a huge dissapointment.

I heard that Wilson has had trouble learing the offense, but I don't see how that is possible. Everyone in the stands had it figured out and we don't even get to practice.

Let's hope for some young QB stud in this years recruits.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I can't argue about the quarterbacks on this roster under current coaching. Who knows? A good offensive coach might make a quarterback out of Wilson or Tune. You're right though, my first priority would be to find a good quarterback from this year's seniors.

Honestly, I couldn't tell a damn thing about the quarterbacks this whole year. With the kind of protection and running game they had week in and week out, I honestly couldn't tell you where their talent stopped and where the broken offensive machine started.

I wouldn't count Tune out, because he did show flashes of having something in his bag, but let's all remember everything he did was in practice.

I think the guy could be on the roster, but if he is, he's still flying under the radar.

Honestly, I couldn't tell a damn thing about the quarterbacks this whole year.  With the kind of protection and running game they had week in and week out, I honestly couldn't tell you where their talent stopped and where the broken offensive machine started.

I wouldn't count Tune out, because he did show flashes of having something in his bag, but let's all remember everything he did was in practice.

I think the guy could be on the roster, but if he is, he's still flying under the radar.

Well, if fall practice was any indication, Tune did as well (if not better) than the incumbents. He showed more poise and confidence than I've seen in a freshman QB in a long time.

So the new coach will at least have that to work with.

We could have the guy on the roster in Tune, Meager, Phillips, or even Woody...

A coach and the right system could be exactly what these guys need...proper coaching can make a hell of a difference.

The new coach will be told to find ONE QB, new or old, and stick with him.

Think about all of the "system" QB's in college football that are never considered at the next level...maybe we have a "system QB on our roster???

Well, if fall practice was any indication, Tune did as well (if not better) than the incumbents. He showed more poise and confidence than I've seen in a freshman QB in a long time.

So the new coach will at least have that to work with.

You are mostly preaching to the choir about Tune, as I am excited to see what he has in the bag. But remember that everything he did was no more than five or six good 'move the chains' type drives. Doing it half a dozen times in practice is much different than doing with regularity in practice, and that is different from doing it in games, and that is much, much different from doing it with regularity in a game.

If all we are saying is that we're excited about Tune, that's one thing. But I'd be careful of anything more than that. He just hasn't proven it. Yet.

You are mostly preaching to the choir about Tune, as I am excited to see what he has in the bag.  But remember that everything he did was no more than five or six good 'move the chains' type drives.  Doing it half a dozen times in practice is much different than doing with regularity in practice, and that is different from doing it in games, and that is much, much different from doing it with regularity in a game.

If all we are saying is that we're excited about Tune, that's one thing.  But I'd be careful of anything more than that.  He just hasn't proven it.  Yet.

I'm eager to see what Tune is capable of, but I also agree that everyone is just a little *too* confident that he's got what it takes. Remember when everyone here had such a man crush on Steven Prince? Didn't everyone think Spencer Stack was a sure thing?

And I laughed, then cried, then went and ate dinner when I saw the opening post of this thread. The patience and faith of the Mean Green fanbase... Don't count on it, new coach.