It may be too soon for him but....

cjones

NOT too soon. Applewhite would be a great hire.

Hiring a recent Longhorn hero would gain a TON of statewide recognition. Our troubles in finding a QB would be history.

He would surely be the youngest HC ever. That would be all over ESPN.

If he had about 10 good years here, he could be first in line when Mack retires.

It's risky for us, and risky for him, but that's how you become great....

If they brought in Applewhite and saw in the interview process that he has the vision, temperament and maturity to be a head coach, that would be an exciting hire.

My biggest criteria for the next coach is the ability to motivate his players and the fans. Dickey's sourpuss act got old.

There is a lot to being a head coach. Hiring someone with minimal COACHING experience and ZERO HC exp is very risky.

There are a slew of assistants who flame out as a HC because there are so many things to take care of - - prep, practice, discipline, recruiting, fundraising, alumni, media, etc.

As mcuh as I dislike Rick Neuheisal/Gary Barnett, they would be light years ahead of The Major.

There is a lot to being a head coach.  Hiring someone with minimal COACHING experience and ZERO HC exp is very risky.

There are a slew of assistants who flame out as a HC because there are so many things to take care of - - prep, practice, discipline, recruiting, fundraising, alumni, media, etc.

As mcuh as I dislike Rick Neuheisal/Gary Barnett, they would be light years ahead of The Major.

Is it a big surprisde that the Objective Aggie does not support former UT quartberback Major Applewhite? Who should we hire then, Corey Pullig? Reggie McNeal?

Is it a big surprisde that the Objective Aggie does not support former UT quartberback Major Applewhite? Who should we hire then, Corey Pullig? Reggie McNeal?

Most Aggies I know actually love Major and rooted for him over Simms.

That's why he's so appealling, he's the only UT athlete I can think of in recent years who transended the Texas hate.

posted this on another thread...

Applewhite has been the starting quarterback at Texas. A grad assistant there, the qb coach at Syracuse and the offensive coordinator at San Jose State and Rice. He's packed a lot of experience in his 28 years. If Pat Fitzgerald at 33 can be the head coach at Northwestern in the Big 10 then Major might deserve an interview for the gig at UNT in the Sun Belt. It is a high-risk high-reward option.

Oh, cool, a joke thread.

In the spirit of the thread, then, how about Caleb Blankeship. Sure, he just graduated from Tulsa last year, but his dad was a high school coach. Maybe all those years of watching dad draw up plays at the kitchen table combined with playing in Kragthorpe's NFL-type scheme have prepared him for a head coaching job at the ripe old age of 23.

seriously, this thread might as well be entitled "here's something that doesnt have a chance of happening"

Major is just getting into his coaching career. He hasnt even been at Rice a full year. I think he was at Syracuse for a year before that and helped out at Texas a year or two after he graduated. Make no mistake, I think he will someday be a great coach, and he is already a great person, but he isnt going to be making that jump next year.

This is a really really important hire for NT. Rick isnt going to take a risk like that with that in mind.

He did a great job at Syracuse, too. I think they won one or two games last year. It's hard to remember.

Yeah, here it is, all on cfbdatawarehouse.com. Syracuse was the Big East Co-Champions in 2004. Then, they got rid of Pasqualoni, brought in Greg Robinson and Major Applewhite and went...1-10 in 2005. The one win was over...Buffalo, not the Bills, though, the Bulls.

Let's see. The Orangeman rolled up 152 points in 2005 with Applewhite helping with the offense. Over 20% of that in one game against...Buffalo, the Bills, not the Bulls. Rice is set to have a losing season with Applewhite on staff this year, too.

He's consistent. I'm beginning to see why this hire is a good idea. I mean, the guy obviously has impact wherever he goes. And, I mean, immediate impact. It's tough help take a team from Co-Champs of a BCS conference to 1-10. Great credentials.

He did a great job at Syracuse, too.  I think they won one or two games last year.  It's hard to remember. 

Yeah, here it is, all on cfbdatawarehouse.com.  Syracuse was the Big East Co-Champions in 2004.  Then, they got rid of Pasqualoni, brought in Greg Robinson and Major Applewhite and went...1-10 in 2005.  The one win was over...Buffalo, not the Bills, though, the Bulls. 

Did you also realize that Syracuse brought in a whole new offensive scheme when Davis/Applewhite came in. They ran an option based offense to a more open West Coast.

Similar results to Nebraska when Callahan took over there and replaced the Wish-Bone.

My poor Orange have suffered since McNabb left.

He did a great job at Syracuse, too.  I think they won one or two games last year.  It's hard to remember. 

Yeah, here it is, all on cfbdatawarehouse.com.  Syracuse was the Big East Co-Champions in 2004.  Then, they got rid of Pasqualoni, brought in Greg Robinson and Major Applewhite and went...1-10 in 2005.  The one win was over...Buffalo, not the Bills, though, the Bulls. 

Let's see.  The Orangeman rolled up 152 points in 2005 with Applewhite helping with the offense.  Over 20% of that in one game against...Buffalo, the Bills, not the Bulls.  Rice is set to have a losing season with Applewhite on staff this year, too. 

He's consistent.  I'm beginning to see why this hire is a good idea.  I mean, the guy obviously has impact wherever he goes.  And, I mean, immediate impact.  It's tough help take a team from Co-Champs of a BCS conference to 1-10.  Great credentials.

Hey, even the devil can quote scripture to suit his own purposes. Major Applewhite is a stud. He was just the QB coach at Syracuse. I don't know if you can blame their record on him.

Yes, North Texas needs a 28 yr old guy who's longest stint is a year! Great in 2 yrs he would leave UNT to coach any Big 12 school while utilizing all DFW area recruiting ground.

Boy that would be smart.

Here is an idea! Hire someone who knows how and wants to turn a program around.

Otherwise you are hiring a temp......NT should not be a stepping stone. I want a coach who will BUY IN for a long term!

Yes, North Texas needs a 28 yr old guy who's longest stint is a year! Great in 2 yrs he would leave UNT to coach any Big 12 school while utilizing all DFW area recruiting ground.

Boy that would be smart.

Here is an idea! Hire someone who knows how and wants to turn a program around.

Otherwise you are hiring a temp......NT should not be a stepping stone. I want a coach who will BUY IN for a long term!

Good luck finding that. UNT is a stepping stone job and I have no problem with a coach who sees us that way. There is not a non-BCS coach out there who wouldn't cut the throat of his current school to jump on at the right BCS job. Let's find someone who is on their way up and grab on for the ride.

NT should not be a stepping stone. I want a coach who will BUY IN for a long term!

I think that's a stretch... I have no problem bringing in an HC that is using us as a stepping stone. How else are you going to get quality coaching talent. Until we are established as a respectable mid-major program, no one is coming here intending to spend their career.

Why do so many people have a man crush on Applewhite?  Hiring a 28 year old as a HC is nuts.

There are many orangebloods on this board who masquerade as Mean Green fans. They know hiring a 28-year old from losing programs isn't smart, but they don't care. Their aim isn't to get us better, but to get their former gridiron heroes a job.

Yes, it's ridiculous, but it's true.

Hey, even the devil can quote scripture to suit his own purposes. Major Applewhite is a stud. He was just the QB coach at Syracuse. I don't know if you can blame their record on him.

Oh, sure you can't. The QB isn't an integral part of the offense. I guess if you're only putting up 152 in a season, the QB coach is probably doing a great job and everyone else is to blame. It's so obvious I'm surprised we didn't see it before.

There are many orangebloods on this board who masquerade as Mean Green fans.  They know hiring a 28-year old from losing programs isn't smart, but they don't care.  Their aim isn't to get us better, but to get their former gridiron heroes a job. 

Yes, it's ridiculous, but it's true.

And you know this how?

FWIW, I believe MA is nowhere near ready to be a HC, at UNT or anywhere else.