Something to think about

GreenGramma

I'm still pissed that they dropped baseball in favor of girls' softball.  mad.gif

Title IX. They didn't really have a choice. Besides, the DFW area has some excellent players and softball can be just as much fun to watch. Sure, there's no lead-off when running the bases, but other than that, softball can be just as entertaining.

I am still pissed at the day they dumped our mens soccer team that annually went to the playoffs.

We had the greatest walk on program I have ever seen. About every metroplex kid that thought they had something and didnt get a ship to SMU, Midwestern or NT, enrolled and tried to walk on.

I think it is idiotic that we cant find a way to bring back the mens program. Hell, put together a womens field hockey team and archery team to ballance it out. With only SMU playing D1 mens soccer in the metroplex we could instantly field a competitive team and get back to having at least one team to root for in the post season.

GMG

In one move around the late 80's we dropped Men's Baseball, Soccer and women's softball and I'm not sure Title IX had anything to do with it?

Rick

Yes it did. It brought us out of the lawsuit range. Dropping all of those sports dropped the total number of scholerships down to a point that is was not worth the femenists suing. They knew no new sports would be added and they would just get bad publicity for killing existing ones.

At least that was the logic at the time.

Edited by VideoEagle

Yes it did. It brought us out of the lawsuit range. Dropping all of those sports dropped the total number of scholerships down to a point that is was not worth the femenists suing. They knew no new sports would be added and they would just get bad publicity for killing existing ones.

At least that was the logic at the time.

Baseball was started because the Southland conference required it and NT did as little as possible to fulfill the requirement. NT used a whole 1 1/2 ships and dropped it as soon as the Southland conference dropped the requirement at NT's request. Softball may have been the same situation.

Baseball was started because the Southland conference required it and NT did as little as possible to fulfill the requirement.  NT used a whole 1 1/2 ships and dropped it as soon as the Southland conference dropped the requirement at NT's request.  Softball may have been the same situation.

That's why I always thought it was a club sport. 1 1/2 scholarships, now there's committment.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think that the reduced number of sports required of 1-AA had more to do with reducing the number of sports than did Title IX. There really is no way to be Title IX compliant if you have football and basketball.

As stated, the Southland required us to have baseball (but the total number of scholarships was microscopic). Many 1-AA conferences didn't sponsor more than 8-10 sports so we'd have had to play an outlaw schedule in some sports. Besides, dropping sports was a cost-cutting measure. No women's sports were added as I recall.

Uh, NT never had baseball to drop.  Now if you said they added softball instead of baseball I'm with you, but blame Title IX not the AD.

Last I saw baseball was a "club" sport for NT...not a varsity program. I do not recall baseball ever being a varsity program at UNT.

I could be wrong.