WHAT AN INCREDIBLE GAME?

IslandEagle

I missed the entire game tonight as I attended to personal matters, and it looks like a missed a lot of excitement. 

7 OTs eh?  Really??  But the score was only 25-22??  When I think of 7 OTs I think of Arkansas beating Kentucky 71-63 in 2003.

Again, I missed the ENTIRE game and I'm trying to catch up without the benefit of a box score (ESPN is lagging).  So, let me make sure I understand this correctly...the score at the end of regulation was 16-16, but the final score after 7 OTs was 25-22??  That means we scored three field goals in 7 OTs while FIU only scored 2 field goals in 7 OTs?

This really is mind boggling.  Don't OT possessions start at the opponents 25 yard line or does the SBC have different OT rules?

NOPE, you got it right. AT home, 7 OT's later, we manage 26 yards of offense in those 7 OT's, we are able to kick three (3) field goals, and we win 25 - 22 over a team with NO (0) wins. BIG WIN for us. ENJOY IT. The fans did - they ACTUALLY STORMED the field....definately something to storm the field for.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!  That is impressive.  I wish I had at least listened to Georgie's play-by-play on that...maybe it will be on the Ticket's "Homer call of the week".

However, I'm still struggling with the 7 combined missed field goals in OT (that HAS to be a record too).  I can just imagine how the media will poke fun at the SBC for that.

Nevertheless, I'm happy we won...regardless of how ugly it may have been.

GO MEAN GREEN!!

In OT, there was alot running plays b/c neither team wanted to make a mistake. It turned into a big defensive battle. Best I can recall, many times teams ended up where they started (on the 25 yard line) or behind it. As a result, many field goal attempts were from decent distances... best I can remember. This was such an emotionally charged game at the field, it all seems like a blur now.

There was one play call I didn't understand from DD in overtime. We were down on the 20 or 25. It was 2 and 8. DD sent out the kicking team. I couldn't believe it. I know he wanted to put the game away, but at least run 1 more running play to see if you can get a few more yards or even in the end zone... our kicker missed. Bit of mystery to me why he chose that. I guess if the kicker made it, we'd say "brilliant call."

Edited by chrisfisher

NOPE, you got it right.  AT home, 7 OT's later, we manage 26 yards of offense in those 7 OT's, we are able to kick three (3) field goals, and we win 25 - 22 over a team with NO (0) wins.  BIG WIN for us.  ENJOY IT.  The fans did - they ACTUALLY STORMED the field....definately something to storm the field for.

I was there. We did storm the field. You had to be there to understand. Read my previous post as to our experience on the field with the Mean Green Players. This school is just ready to explode to a winning team. I hope RV and Co. realize this and keep up their efforts to take us to the next level.

NOPE, you got it right.  AT home, 7 OT's later, we manage 26 yards of offense in those 7 OT's, we are able to kick three (3) field goals, and we win 25 - 22 over a team with NO (0) wins.  BIG WIN for us.  ENJOY IT.  The fans did - they ACTUALLY STORMED the field....definitely something to storm the field for.

Were you at the game? Obviously not. If UNT beat FIU 25-22 in regulation, I would be like "God, we squeaked that one out". It was such a bizarre turn of events... you just knew whoever LOST was going to be heartbroken.

ESPN just mentioned the game, but no footage. Maybe tomorrow.

Were you at the game?  Obviously not.  If UNT beat FIU 25-22 in regulation, I would be like "God, we squeaked that one out".  It was such a bizarre turn of events...  you just knew whoever LOST was going to be heartbroken.

ESPN just mentioned the game, but no footage.  Maybe tomorrow.

Nope, after last week, I had more enjoyable things to do then go to the game and be pissed off again and bored at the same time at our lack of offense. BUT if I was there, I GUARANTEE you that I would not have stormed the field after that.

Nice headline from ESPN, "After 8 missed FGs, North Texas prevails in 7 OTs" - I'm sure we can expect more of the same from the DMN and any other pub we may get from this...not exactly the kind of attention I prefer.

Yippers, just more fuel to make us the laughing stock of college football. Great pub and attention. Definately something to be proud of.

I still can't get over people rushing the field. I hope ESPN got film of that one.

Yippers, just more fuel to make us the laughing stock of college football.  Great pub and attention.  Definately something to be proud of. 

I still can't get over people rushing the field.  I hope ESPN got film of that one.

You wouldn't get it because you were not there. BTW, I hope there is like a video record of one of the most exciting endings to a football game I have ever witnessed.. This negativity is really getting boring for me now. There is NOTHING that can happen this season, short of DD getting fired, that will make you happy. Sad. I will support my team, while at the same time demand improvements.

You wouldn't get it because you were not there. BTW, I hope there is like a video record of one of the most exciting endings to a football game I have ever witnessed..  This negativity is really getting boring for me now.  There is NOTHING that can happen this season, short of DD getting fired, that will make you happy. Sad.  I will support my team, while at the same time demand improvements.

Been supporting it for 25 years, just ready to move forward now since we have been D1 for 12 years.

Unless Dickey wins at least 6 games, more likely 7 or more...he won't be back.

JUST ENJOY THIS WIN. I had an incredible time listening to it online. I couldn't be prouder of the team. I'm sporting something NT to work tommorrow and gonna talk up my squad to co-workers.

So there haters. wink.gif

Been supporting it for 25 years, just ready to move forward now since we have been D1 for 12 years.

I don't mean any disrespect to the veteran supporters, and are demanding many of the same changes you are (read my previous posts).... but tonight was a good win as well as a really fun night. I am thrilled we won, and did so against a team that most everyone on this board (including myself) thought we'd get blown out by. Enjoy it.

It was....wierdly fun for anyone who was there...the storming of the field was more a spontaneous desire to thank the players for sticking in there for 7 ots.

Our program is in trouble, but we do not need to find the dark cloud next to every silver lining, people.....we ain't smooo.

The play calling was horrible (option goes nowhere, draw almost nowhere, WR screen=interception, WR slants = 10 yard gain.....i know which one i'd pick more of) and for that coaching changes need be made. For now, though, enjoy this....any win.

But, when all is said and done I must admit that was one of the best North Texas games I've ever seen in terms of dramatic appeal. I couldn't stop watching it even though it was like a slow water torture.

Id have to say the Miracle in the Desert in '01 over NMSUcks would be the most dramatic I've ever seen.

Yes we did storm the field, not because we beat an 0-5 SBC team, but because we were emotionally exhausted, had been walking to each end of the field to cheer NT and distract FIU during each over time overtime, and we were tired, frustrated, and had no voice left.

Interesting way for DD to save his job for another week, litterally.

Id have to say the Miracle in the Desert in '01 over NMSUcks would be the most dramatic I've ever seen.

Yes we did storm the field, not because we beat an 0-5 SBC team, but because we were emotionally exhausted, had been walking to each end of the field to cheer NT and distract FIU during each over time overtime, and we were tired, frustrated, and had no voice left. 

Interesting way for DD to save his job for another week, litterally.

Rudy, you took the words out of my (and my daughter's mouth)... we cheered and cursed every player, coach, team, and play call.....we are exhausted, both emotionally and physically... in fact, I'm going to bed... I hope everyone perks up when I check the board again tomorrow morning. The negativity was deflating when I came home expecting to see this board excited about the win.

Alums alway say that the students do not support the teams.

3 home games the student sections are packed and loud.

But where are the Alums

Students don't have any school spirit.

We storm the feild with no tearing down of goal post or injuries, while celebrating with the team.

But it was dumb because FIU is 0-5.

Only one thing counts in football, the W.

We win a long game when we could have given up. example First and goal on the 1 yd. line in OT what do we do stuff em.

But it was ugly and and we still stink.

We won so SHUT UP and I will see you at the game!

It's hard to be excited about this win when we all feel the team should never have taken 7OT periods, much less one. The one play that really let me know how DD's mindset is was the FG try on 2nd and 8. There's no reason for a FG attempt on 2nd and 8.

I wasn't particually exicited about the game in general, mainly due to play calling, but more so because I thought our special teams should not have given FIU the great field position once we had the lead. As far as DD's mind set goes, I believe he has told us before. (paraphrase) Keep it close and have a chance to win in the end. He proved it again. Most of the fans around me agreed it was not wise to try a field goal on 2 and 8. Anyway, my legs are tired from walking end to end during the overtime defensive battle, but to witness the grit and determination of both the UNT and FIU defenses made it all worth it. I am enjoyed and excited about this win. Good Night! GMG

Alums alway say that the students do not support the teams.

3 home games the student sections are packed and loud.

But where are the Alums

Students don't have any school spirit.

We storm the feild with no tearing down of goal post or injuries, while celebrating with the team.

But it was dumb because FIU is 0-5.

Only one thing counts in football, the W.

We win a long game when we could have given up. example First and goal on the 1 yd. line in OT what do we do stuff em.

But it was ugly and and we still stink.

We won so SHUT UP and I will see you at the game!

It looked like about 5000 in the student side, hardly packed. And sad if you consider there are almost 34,000 students enrolled