UNT vs. MTSU

res1dg16

How different, other than head coach and philosophy, is this MT team compared to what we are used to? What a difference a coaching change made at the Murph....

Who else is up for wearing paper bags next week? It's like the Bengals of the...um...pre-Palmer era.

But, on a serious note...when was the start of the downhill slide? Was it when DeLoach (sp?) left to go to UCLA?

This has been an abomination. Nothing good at all can be taken from this one.

And as most people know I'm quite supportive of Dickey. I said years ago(like '96 or '97) that if we ever made a bowl I'd support that coach till he left. Well, I'm not going to call for Dickey leaving, but that's as much support as I can give him now. I won't defend him anymore.

Hey, congrats goto the Blue Raiders. It's truly a rivalry now.

Edited by CMJ

You know, I try to be realistic, but that was pitiful.

Physically dominated. Poor execution of plays. QB's running for their lives and making horrible decisions. No intensity.

To say that the OL and QB position needs work is a monumental understatement. Good grief. Painful. I hope there's a lot of freaking ice in the locker room for WW and Daniel Meager, because they are going to need it. Woody made some terrible decisions trying to make something happen. I don't care what any of you think of those two, but they are both tough QB's.

Quite frankly, if I was an offensive lineman on this team, I would be saying "I'm sorry." to the rest of the offense, and buying their damn dinner. Have they worked on blitz protection?? Ever?? Did the coaches scout this team? Did they not know that MTSU would throw the kitchen sink at these young QB's and OL to confuse them?

Hats off to MTSU, as they whipped UNT's ass in every facet of the game.

Hard one to take. Real hard.

Have they worked on blitz protection??  Ever??  Did the coaches scout this team?  Did they not know that MTSU would throw the kitchen sink at these young QB's and OL to confuse them? 

Great question, but for a coaching staff that in 9 years can't come up with an offense that is worth a darn, what would make us believe that they could scout a team? Honestly I think D "k8mitb" D is so content on running the ball, he really doesn't care what the Defense does, because come heck or high water, at the end of the day, he is still going to run the ball 80% of the time.

Great question, but for a coaching staff that in 9 years can't come up with an offense that is worth a darn, what would make us believe that they could scout a team?  Honestly I think D "k8mitb" D is so content on running the ball, he really doesn't care what the Defense does, because come heck or high water, at the end of the day, he is still going to run the ball 80% of the time.

But that's the thing -- we didn't come out running the ball 80% of the time -- not at all. We tried to throw, tried to roll Woody out into space, etc. -- and PISS POOR execution failed us time and time again. This is in no way in defense of the coaching staff - tonight was a total disaster - but we missed wide open WRs, threw into double coverage, put the ball on the ground, etc. all night long. I really think we are underestimating the fact that this staff's biggest failure may be on the recruiting trail. We don't want to admit that, but we got physically whipped tonight. Can you imagine any sequence of play calling that would have worked out there? We'd have tripped over our own two feet.

And as for the 9 years thing, you know my thoughts on that -- and I think my point here backs that up. From 2001-04, this "same old offense" looked pretty damn good when Kevin Galbreath and Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas' Evil Twin were gashing defenses and Scott Hall was the most efficient passer in the SBC, hitting Johnny Quinn and George Marshall deep. Hell, we had the nation's leading rusher in back to back seasons doing this! God, just writing that paragraph made me recoil at what we're throwing out there now.

Systems work -- but only when they have the right players. I'm not disagreeing with the assessment that the coaches are on the hottest of seats and should be - they should - but i think we're missing the fact that we may want to criticize them a little more for recruiting failures that we've dared to in the past.

You could say "Well, a good coach meshes his system to match the players he has - we really have good players." Fine - I can see that point, maybe at the high school level. But THIS STAFF RECRUITS THESE PLAYERS. If they are, in fact, loaded with talent, then they were recruiting poorly in that they weren't getting system guys. I don't think that's the case, but either way, it's bad news.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

But that's the thing -- we didn't come out running the ball 80% of the time -- not at all. We tried to throw, tried to roll Woody out into space, etc. -- and PISS POOR execution failed us time and time again.

Horrible execution. Ridiculous. Those pissing and moaning about the 'game plan' need to STHU. Any game plan trotted out there would have failed due to the inability to execute it. And that's the players responsibility.

Systems work -- but only when they have the right players...i think we're missing the fact that we may want to criticize them a little more for reruiting failures that we've dared to in the past.

I've been saying this for almost 2 years, but it falls on a lot of deaf ears. Any time you are consistently and continually depending on JUCO's for your skill positions and your OL, you are in trouble, and something is wrong. Either there's deficiencies in recruiting, or you have attrition at those positions for other reasons.

Middle Tennessee was so unconcerned about our ability to move the ball that they chose to kick off to us when they had the option because they knew they would get better field position from our punt after stopping us than if they elected to receive our kick off. Very sad.....

Middle Tennessee was so unconcerned about our ability to move the ball that they chose to kick off to us when they had the option because they knew they would get better field position from our punt after stopping us than if they elected to receive our kick off. Very sad.....

I couldn't believe that either.....I kept asking "Why are we getting the ball again?!" at the beginning of the second half. I don't think I have EVER seen that before.

Absolutely pathetic. mad.gif

I couldn't believe that either.....I kept asking "Why are we getting the ball again?!"  at the beginning of the second half.  I don't think I have EVER seen that before. 

Absolutely pathetic. mad.gif

I think UT did it to us a couple games ago.

According to the NT Stat Sheet we had 16986 in attendence.

If we're going to make the 15,000 average, we need 11,000 per games for the final 3 home games.

Student side was packed. That is, before MTSU put 28 points on the board. Now I know we'll hear Dickey take responsibility for the loss like he did after Akron, but right now, I don't care about anyone taking responsibility unless they're gonna make some drastic improvements in the team between now and 1pm, Saturday of next week.

Edited by meangreendork