The first correspondence I've received from

gangrene

While this is some good news, I don't find much I can get excited about from an athletic perspective:

Welcome to your new UNT Insider, which was redesigned with you in mind. I want the UNT Insider to help keep you informed about university news and events, while allowing us to have an open dialogue about the future of our university. I look forward to visiting with you each month.

Before I arrived, I was deeply impressed by what I had learned about UNT, and after just six weeks here, I am more certain than ever that our university is poised for even greater success and recognition. This fall, nearly 90 new faculty members representing 42 disciplines arrived at UNT from a variety of prestigious institutions and corporations across the globe, coming from as far away as Mexico and Thailand and as nearby as Austin and Dallas.

These faculty members join the ranks of nearly 900 scholars who are already dedicated to providing an extraordinarily rich academic experience for our students. As I meet faculty members and talk with them, it is immediately clear that they take immense pride in striving for an ever stronger foundation of educational excellence from which we will continue to advance.

In addition, our freshman class is the largest to date. This fall, we welcomed 3,885 first-time college students onto our campus. This newest crop of talented, bright students also has the highest average SAT score — 1105 — in UNT history. By the way, UNT's increased average SAT score continues to surpass state and national averages, which are declining. There is no doubt we can expect great things from these students.

As a university, we are on the brink of solidifying our identity as a student-centered public research university with a national and international presence. We will put UNT on a map bigger than just North Texas.

With green pride,

Gretchen M. Bataille

President

While this is some good news, I don't find much I can get excited about from an athletic perspective:

Welcome to your new UNT Insider, which was redesigned with you in mind. I want the UNT Insider to help keep you informed about university news and events, while allowing us to have an open dialogue about the future of our university. I look forward to visiting with you each month.

Before I arrived, I was deeply impressed by what I had learned about UNT, and after just six weeks here, I am more certain than ever that our university is poised for even greater success and recognition. This fall, nearly 90 new faculty members representing 42 disciplines arrived at UNT from a variety of prestigious institutions and corporations across the globe, coming from as far away as Mexico and Thailand and as nearby as Austin and Dallas.

These faculty members join the ranks of nearly 900 scholars who are already dedicated to providing an extraordinarily rich academic experience for our students. As I meet faculty members and talk with them, it is immediately clear that they take immense pride in striving for an ever stronger foundation of educational excellence from which we will continue to advance.

In addition, our freshman class is the largest to date. This fall, we welcomed 3,885 first-time college students onto our campus. This newest crop of talented, bright students also has the highest average SAT score — 1105 — in UNT history. By the way, UNT's increased average SAT score continues to surpass state and national averages, which are declining. There is no doubt we can expect great things from these students.

As a university, we are on the brink of solidifying our identity as a student-centered public research university with a national and international presence. We will put UNT on a map bigger than just North Texas.

With green pride,

Gretchen M. Bataille

President

What was she supposed to say? Something like 'Our football team is 3-13 in the past 16 games despite throwing away momentum of 4 bowl appearences that haven't done anything to help recruiting?'

This fall, nearly 90 new faculty members representing 42 disciplines arrived at UNT from a variety of prestigious institutions and corporations across the globe, coming from as far away as Mexico and Thailand and as nearby as Austin and Dallas.

I LOVE college football, and I love college athletics, but every single thing she said in this letter (especially the last line) is far more important than our football record.

Dont get me wrong, I think athletics is an important part of any university (as I maintain the opinion we should excel in everything, and that it is a window through which the outside world sees us), but it isn't the most important thing. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, but given the choice, I'd take academic excellence.

Hearing we have record freshmen classes with higher SAT scores than ever before is a GREAT thing that should excite everyone who is attending or has recieved a degree from UNT.

I LOVE college football, and I love college athletics, but every single thing she said in this letter (especially the last line) is far more important than our football record.

Dont get me wrong, I think athletics is an important part of any university (as I maintain the opinion we should excel in everything, and that it is a window through which the outside world sees us), but it isn't the most important thing. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, but given the choice, I'd take academic excellence.

Hearing we have record freshmen classes with higher SAT scores than ever before is a GREAT thing that should excite everyone who is attending or has recieved a degree from UNT.

Couldn't agree with you more. Great post. Thanks.

What was she supposed to say? Something like 'Our football team is 3-13 in the past 16 games despite throwing away momentum of 4 bowl appearences that haven't done anything to help recruiting?'

LOL...I guess I was just looking for something that indicated progress on Athletics...maybe an update on construction or even a response to the DMN article on our poor football and Men's basketball graduation rates. Even a simple comment about the Homecoming game, in general, may have given me hope that Athletics will be a priority for Ms. Bataille.

I'm trying hard to come up with some points to disagree with you, but I can't find many. I want BOTH - a great football team and academic excellence! Why can't I have BOTH??

Ok, let me ask everyone this - would you rather UNT become more like Texas Tech (not really known for it's academic prowess, but has a pretty decent sports program) or SMU/Rice (laughing stocks of the college football universe, but compared to Harvard for Academics)??

This is a great post, and i couldn't agree with you more. The only reason why we have a football team is to get people interested and aware of the university. It's also a great tool to network and get old alumni back on campus, but all this is meaningless if you don't have the academics to back it up. They aren't mutually exclusive, but whenever you put money into a program there's always an opportunity cost of the next best alternative. Dr. Bataille realizes how important athletics are to any university, and the place they serve to compliment the academics of a major state school.

LOL...I guess I was just looking for something that indicated progress on Athletics...maybe an update on construction or even a response to the DMN article on our poor football and Men's basketball graduation rates.  Even a simple comment about the Homecoming game, in general, may have given me hope that Athletics will be a priority for Ms. Bataille.

Hopefully the plans of a new stadium being built will be released in the near future, I can't imagine what that's going to do for attendance and on campus morale. I posted this a while ago, but I wish i had 50 million so the stadium was named after me. Outside the main gates I would have huge bronze statue built of me, about 30-40 feet in height. I would be doing the heisman pose, but instead of a football I would have a beer in my hand. Below me on the ground, I have slain a longhorn, an aggie, a drunk from tech and a horned frog. On the base of the statue it would read: The greatest alumni of all-time.

That would be awesome.

Ok, let me ask everyone this - would you rather UNT become more like Texas Tech (not really known for it's academic prowess, but has a pretty decent sports program) or SMU/Rice (laughing stocks of the college football universe, but compared to Harvard for Academics)??

It's a no-brainer for me. Give me the Tech scenario over the SMU/Rice scenario any day.

You are kidding, right? SMU = to Harvard.

Actually, does anyone else have stats on other sunbelt schools? Like what their average test scores are, etc.? I only know the MUTS admission requirements, I believe you have to be able to spell your name correctly and read at a third grade level.

I'm trying hard to come up with some points to disagree with you, but I can't find many.  I want BOTH - a great football team and academic excellence!  Why can't I have BOTH??

Rice/SMU/Harvard = Private schools

UNT = Public university

So, the comparisons should be with other public universities

Edited by MeanGreen61

You are kidding, right?  SMU = to Harvard.

I was about to say the same thing. They may have a lot of cash, and they would certainly like you to think that they are comparable to Harvard, but SMU academics aren't even on the same map as the Ivy League schools. Their law school only climbed out of the cellar in recent years, and in what academic area other than their Executive MBA program have they received anything close to serious national recognition? I have to admit that they do have a pretty nice art museum.

Easy one this -- Harvard.

I think having a great sports program is good, but I think having a solid academic reputation is much more important. I didn't go to NT based on its athletic record. Let's face it, most of us didn't.

You are kidding, right?  SMU = to Harvard.

Just to clarify, that is certainly not my personal opinion. However, it is a common (mis)perception and SMU is the little university some Dallas media often refer to as "Harvard on the hill".

Rice/SMU/Harvard = Private schools

UNT = Public university

So, the comparisons should be with other public universities

True, but I couldn't think of any public universities meeting the criteria of having a crappy Athletics program, but excelling in Academics.

To put SMU anywhere near Rice much less Harvard is naive at best. Also to believe that private schools are superior to public is also ill conceived. There are many NT exes who apparently believe that Baylor, TCU, and SMU are academically superior to NT based on reputation. And many I think have coughed up private tutution for their children based on this belief.

Having gone to two private, and three state schools in my circular route to education; and having worked with graduates of the three aforementioned privates; my honest opinion is there is no signicant difference in education received except the cost. The privates generally offer smaller classes and more individual attention, and that may be very important to some; but you also give up some benefits such as greater diversity of student body. As far as public schools vs private, is not UT rated substantally higher than the three mentioned privates.