Gretchen Bataille- The Death of UNT Athletics

UNT_playmaker

I was at a dinner party a few weeks back and their was a Physics professor at UNT who was ecstatic about her debut at UNT . Saying that the faculty at UNT ran off the other guy and we finally are able to have a president who emphasizes more on academic than athletics....

My friend who is a huge mean green athletics supporter asked him what do you mean. He replied by saying the new president's intentions are to stop the flow of money to athletics and redirect it into academics once again....

At this point I had to get of the room cause I was about to throw up....when hearing that bullsh**

The new president is not a fan of sports to begin with, and most faculty people I have talked to are excited to have here her, because she will be brought in to do what Pohl didnt....

Funnel more money into loser causes such as the music and the art programs.....Im so freakin pissed mad.gif

Whats more important, proving to a bunch of loser hippies that we are still an music and arts school or actually getting some well deserved publicity as a top university destination based on having a well rounded athletic program

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Funnel more money into loser causes such as the music and the art programs.....Im so freakin pissed

I'll hold back the variety of vulgar words I thought of when you said this. You'd be shocked to know that being art major doesn't mean you can't be a sports fan. I'd also challenge you to say this in the middle of the art or music buildings.

Secondly, the art program may have a big enrollment, but the number of faculty for alot of the programs is suprisingly small. The music program is also a big deal around these parts too, and as a fan of the team, you should probably pay close attention to the Green Brigade, another "loser cause".

Now while I'm not sure about what the new president wants, there's no problem with putting more money into academics as long as there's money put into athletics as well. Frankly, additional money for athletics can come from other places than the school's overrall budget.

I was at a dinner party a few weeks back and their was a Physics professor at UNT who was ecstatic about her debut at UNT . Saying that the faculty at UNT ran off the other guy and we finally are able to have a president who emphasizes more on academic than athletics....

My friend who is a huge mean green athletics supporter asked him what do you mean. He replied by saying the new president's intentions are to stop the flow of money to athletics and redirect it into academics once again....

At this point I had to get of the room cause I was about to throw up....when hearing that bullsh**

The new president is not a fan of sports to begin with, and most faculty people I have talked to are excited to have here her, because she will be brought in to do what Pohl didnt....

Funnel more money into loser causes such as the music and the art programs.....Im so freakin pissed mad.gif

Whats more important, proving to a bunch of loser hippies that we are still an music and arts school or actually getting some well deserved publicity as a top university destination based on having a well rounded athletic program

This is very concerning. Can anyone that knows anything about our new president shed any additional light on this?

Also, I recall someone posting that the new president came from a school with a rich athletic background and thought it might help our program. Do I remember this right?

This is just not true. Dr. Bataille will hold everyone accountable for meeting expected goals. She will not take away from athletics. She will hold athletics responsible to fufill its part of the bargain however, and I am ok with that.

Dr. Bataille is a big fan of sports actually and she has a high expectation level coming from the North Carolina System.

You seem to think that for one department to succeed another one has to fail. I just don't see it that way. We need to improve all phases of the UNT experience and that includes academics.

This is just not true.  Dr. Bataille will hold everyone accountable for meeting expected goals.  She will not take away from athletics.  She will hold athletics responsible to fufill its part of the bargain however, and I am ok with that.

Dr. Bataille is a big fan of sports actually and she has a high expectation level coming from the North Carolina System.

You seem to think that for one department to succeed another one has to fail.  I just don't see it that way.  We need to improve all phases of the UNT experience and that includes academics.

Harry, thanks.... I can sleep better tonight.

This is just not true.  Dr. Bataille will hold everyone accountable for meeting expected goals.  She will not take away from athletics.  She will hold athletics responsible to fufill its part of the bargain however, and I am ok with that.

You seem to think that for one department to succeed another one has to fail.  I just don't see it that way.  We need to improve all phases of the UNT experience and that includes academics.

Harry, in all my years of posting with you - one of my best friends on the planet - I couldn't disagree more. In order for our athletic dept to move forward, the checkbook needs to stay open and blank with the BOR and RV having the right to write as many checks as possible. We are making up for DECADES of neglect and Pohl opened up the checkbook - and basically told the guys, "Make it look legit" - they did that... kind of... we have some unpaid loans that will never be paid back. I am scared to death that our new Pres will demand repayment on those loans before moving forward. Not going to work in Denton, TX that way... you spend FIRST and then they come. Not the other way around.

I really hope she is. We need another progressive president that sees the big picture, that unless you are a private school it is very hard to continue improving academic programs without an alumni base that is excited by what the school is doing and lets face it athletics gets you in the newspaper in very high profile places.

Look at the major public schools. Look who their biggest alumni donors are. People tied in with the athletics department and former greeks. Unfortunately these are 2 sorely neglected places in the last 26 years of UNT history only in the last 5-6 years have we had the people in place that have championed these causes. The sad thing... both resigned in the last year.

*edit*

On what Stebo said on the checkbook deal. Wasn't it one of her first moves to cut back a housing project on campus?

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

I saw her at the NT Exes party in austin the night before the game, I saw at the Mean Green Tailgate the day of the game. I heard she spoke at the NT Exes party but I got there shortly after she finished. That tells me she supports athletics.

Everything I have heard is she balanced, Academics is important, but she knows that a school like UNT must get the marketing a successful Athletic program (Athletic, not just football) brings to be more succesful academically.

That physics professor you met may just be the most uninformed individual on campus.

I spoke with Dr. Battaille on the eve of the tU game and then the next morning at the tailgate party. I reminded her that no one had questioned her for an oppinion on athletics during the Exes Board members retreat. So I stated, "that was because I couldn't make it". I then explained that it was my firm belief that athletics gives our university the greatest chance to draw support from our alumni by bringing the most amount of them back onto campus. Her statement was, "It is, but it SHOULD be one of the best opportunities to bring them back onto campus". She then explained that it was her hope to try and reach a balance with all departments but I could tell she certainly agreed with my sentiments. Then........she went on to explain that she had been around some major, big time college athletic programs throughout her career and has seen what they can do. She stated that when she was at Washington State they earned a trip to the Rose Bowl for the first time since the 30's. Because of that success she said their enrollment and alumni donation levels noticeably increased the next school year. That night in Austin she was realistic about the tU game as was the rest of us were but she outright expected us to beat SMU.

Now if you have read anything about the long, ongoing debate that has been argued between those with athletic agenda's and academia you know that academia will go to it's grave sighting every known statistic they can dig up trying to prove that there is zero correlation between winning and an increase in either enrollment or donations. And if you have taken the 3 days required to read Dr. Battaille's resume you know what side she comes from, yet to hear her speak of the positives she has seen herself from what athletics can do for a university set me at ease.

I'm willing to give her my full fledged support to accomplish her goals here.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

Now if you have read anything about the long, ongoing debate that has been argued between those with athletic agenda's and academia you know that academia will go to it's grave sighting every known statistic they can dig up trying to prove that there is zero correlation between winning and an increase in either enrollment or donations.

Come on FFr, you know as well as I that increaed enrollment comes from the marketing firsm we hire; not athletic sucesses. dry.gif

That physics professor you met may just be the most uninformed individual on campus. 

I spoke with Dr. Battaille on the eve of the tU game and then the next morning at the tailgate party.    I reminded her that no one had questioned her for an oppinion on athletics during the Exes Board members retreat.  So I stated, "that was because I couldn't make it".  I then explained that it was my firm belief that athletics gives our university the greatest chance to draw support from our alumni by bringing the most amount of them back onto campus.  Her statement was, "It is, but it SHOULD be one of the best opportunities to bring them back onto campus".  She then explained that it was her hope to try and reach a balance with all departments but I could tell she certainly agreed with my sentiments.  Then........she went on to explain that she had been around some major, big time college athletic programs throughout her career and has seen what they can do.  She stated that when she was at Washington State they earned a trip to the Rose Bowl for the first time since the 30's.  Because of that  success she said their enrollment  and alumni donation levels noticeably increased.  That night in Austin she was realistic about the tU game as was the rest of us were but she outright expected us to beat SMU.

Now if you have read anything about the long, ongoing debate that has been argued between those with athletic agenda's and academia you know that academia will go to it's grave sighting every known statistic they can dig up trying to prove that there is zero correlation between winning and an increase in either enrollment or donations.  And if you have taken the 3 days required to read Dr. Battaille's resume you know what side she comes from, yet to hear her speak of the positives she has seen herself from what athletics can do for a university set me at ease. 

I'm willing to give her my full fledged support to accomplish her goals here. 

Rick

Good post Rick. Nice to see a post on the new Prez & athletics with a face-to-face Q&A and not based on rumor, idle gossip or speculation.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm glad to hear you report from a direct dialogue with the president. I had no idea of her position and was ready to follow the old adage, "your silence speaks volumes".

Do you think that she will ever make a public statement to try to rally the alumni into supporting athletics as Norval Pohl did? It's kind of like chicken soup....it couldn't hurt.

blink.gif

That's just stupid.  The music department is one of the most famous in the country. 

Is it really? I belive that the thrid best trumpeteer or the second best Pianist (hehehe) in every high school in north Texas knows about UNT, but I dont belive that anyone who didnt attend UNT knows that it has a good music school. you may now attack.

Is it really? I belive that the thrid best trumpeteer or the second best Pianist (hehehe) in every high school in north Texas knows about UNT, but I dont belive that anyone who didnt attend UNT knows that it has a good music school. you may now attack.

I've met musicians out here who have heard of NT?

About the jazz program:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_O%27Clock_Lab_Band

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyle_Mays

Scroll to the last 2 sections:

http://www.music.unt.edu/students/index.html

I think that if a student is a true student of music, then they'll know about all of this. I mean, I knew that UNT's design program ranked with the best in the country and consistently performed well in design contests when I came here. I'm wondering if you just snapped that statement off or if you really thought it through.

And really, don't go alienating groups because you don't think they fit whatever mold of football fan you think needs to exist. That's plainly a mistake.

Edited by meangreendork

This is what is wrong with UNT. The world does not evolve around you. Sprots fans think the arts are bad and every other department won't dare show support for athletics. There doesn't need to be fighting for funding or support we need to be a family. Every event should be free advertising for your program. We dont even have support among athletics. At every basketball game the entire football team should be there, if you want people to come to the next concert or operah be at every football game letting 20,000 people know that you are the best in Texas.

And yes every highschooler the wants to be a music major knows about UNT. Find out for yourself, you can do a lot more for your school than attending a football game. take your kid to a concert or symphony and impress your wife by taking her to the operah.

This is what is wrong with UNT. The world does not evolve around you. Sprots fans think the arts are bad and every other department won't dare show support for athletics. There doesn't need to be fighting for funding or support we need to be a family. Every event should be free advertising for your program. We dont even have support among athletics. At every basketball game the entire football team should be there, if you want people to come to the next concert or operah be at every football game letting 20,000 people know that you are the best in Texas.

And yes every highschooler the wants to be a music major knows about UNT. Find out for yourself, you can do a lot more for your school than attending a football game. take your kid to a concert or symphony and impress your wife by taking her to the operah.

Or impress your parents and English prof by spelling opera correctly.