Reality Check

shaft

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The women's facilities and the athletic center were not luxuries or even a chioce versus the stadium. The women's facilities were necessary to meet the plan that Mr. Helwig had laid out for both the NCAA in the certification process and for an OCR report. They were required per a review of our situation by an independent expert in the field. In addition we need to provide our young ladies with the facilities they deserve as Division I athletes. The Athletic Center was the priority I was assigned when I arrived because we had no facilities to recruit to or provide proper strength and medical spaces for our current kids. What we all "want" many times has to be tempered with what we need and the needs have been met. I guess someone may view that as an inability to make a decision. If so it doesn't bother me.

We all want a stadium and not many people can be more frustrated than me and my staff that we had to build basically every facility an athletic department needs (now in place) before we could even address the stadium project. We have to deal with the complaints about sight lines and bathrooms and everything else that is Fouts' Field. But Fouts is not the the only challenge for us. If it was then Tulsa has just as big a challenge and UAB and Akron have worse situations. Southern Miss, Boise State and many others play in substandard facilities but seem to rise to the occassion. Hell TCU plays in a 60 year old stadium that's been painted to look better, but has no luxury boxes or suites and concessions are sold out of auxilary units for the most part like we do. They're in the TOP 15.

It is not my intention in responding to rant and rave and defend myself. I have made and will make the decisions that need to be made about facilities or any other area of the program. Because they don't conincide with the individual wants of everyone doesn't make them wrong. Nobody demanded a new stadium or athletic center or as far as I know any other facility before 2001. In fact nobody donated significnat money for any phase of the athletic program before 2001. Now we expect facility in 6 years. It doesn't happen that way on any campus (sorry, except OK ST).

As we now crank up the stadium process, I hope everyone that is demanding its' construction is just as excited about it going up and willing to depart with the dollars needed to make it happen. Don't expect others to pay for what we want. This is an everybody project and it "will be" completed just like the other facilities have. It will change the way people look at us for sure as the other facilities already have. But it will not fix all of our problems and deficiencies. Attendance didn't generate significant additional revenue even during a four year bowl run and Mean Green Club membership while significantly higher than four years ago still lags far behind where it needs to be. That won't build a stadium and definitely won't generate the necessary revenue to fund other projects. And this doesn't address the other problems that prevent competitive programs.  I know that. You know that. And those deficiencies must and will also be remedied.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing coach. Our team was getting it's butt kicked in someone else's crappy stadium this last saturday. It didn't seem to bother the Tulsa players and/or fans that the team was playing in a crappy stadium. They were too busy enjoying the win.

And it obviously didn't bother the CUSA officials about Tulsa's crappy stadium either.

As many of you know now, I am current UNT student. The last thing I want to see happen is for my UNT fees (or tuition) to increase. However, maybe UNT should consider charging all students $100/year ($50/semester) or whatever to cover tickets to all sporting events. Currently, all students get in free. It wouldn't make much difference in my loans received. Moreover, $100 per 33,000 students = millions. Most major schools do this, and students that come to UNT from other schools are surprised that we don't already. Charging students for sporting events would also: (1) get more students out to games (2) make a definitive statement about the value and commitment to UNT sports (3) fund more things like we discuss in the forum. The millions received plus #1, #2, and #3 will obviously create a situation that will continuously feed itself and kick the Mean Green train into full steam ahead. The benefits could be enormous in terms of revenue, recruiting, stadiums, fans support, etc.

Edited by chrisfisher

As many of you know now, I am current UNT student.  The last thing I was to see happen is my UNT fees (or tuition) increase. However, maybe UNT should consider charging all students $100/year ($50/semester) or whatever to cover tickets to all sporting events. Currently, all students get in free. It wouldn't make much difference in my loans received.  Moreover, $100 per 33,000 students = millions.  Most major schools do this, and students that come to UNT from other schools are surprised that we don't already.  Charging students for sporting events would also: (1) get more students out to games (2) make a definitive statement about the value and commitment to UNT sports (3) fund more things like we discuss in the forum. The millions received plus #1, #2, and #3 will obviously create a situation that will continuously feed itself and kick the Mean Green train into full steam ahead. The benefits could be enormous in terms of revenue, recruiting, stadiums, fans support, etc.

excellent idea and it would only be a drop in the bucket compared to what we already pay/paid, seems simple enough, but this is UNT unfortunately and the Faculty and non-jockstraps would be up in a tizzy.

excellent idea and it would only be a drop in the bucket compared to what we already pay/paid, seems simple enough, but this is UNT unfortunately and the Faculty and non-jockstraps would be up in a tizzy.

maybe, but they'd get over it... believe me, tuition or fees (not sure which, but I think it is the fees) constantly go up.. everyone complains, but everyone keeps coming back. If they don't like it, stay away from a D1A college and attend a community college.

Edited by chrisfisher

However, maybe UNT should consider charging all students $100/year ($50/semester) or whatever to cover tickets to all sporting events. Currently, all students get in free. It wouldn't make much difference in my loans received.  Moreover, $100 per 33,000 students = millions. 

Other than the lack of support for a program like this, there is one big problem.... Fouts only seats 30,500. I don't think it's fair to charge everybody for admission when everybody can't physically fit in the stadium.

That doesn't mean student tickets have to stay free, although I think they should be until we get another run of a few good seasons and student attendance has been solidified.

Other than the lack of support for a program like this, there is one big problem.... Fouts only seats 30,500.  I don't think it's fair to charge everybody for admission when everybody can't physically fit in the stadium.

That doesn't mean student tickets have to stay free, although I think they should be until we get another run of a few good seasons and student attendance has been solidified.

Not a problem, an opportunity. They will be investing in the future, a future that will include a new stadium that they can enjoy for years and take pride in knowing they help build it.

Other than the lack of support for a program like this, there is one big problem.... Fouts only seats 30,500.  I don't think it's fair to charge everybody for admission when everybody can't physically fit in the stadium.

You make the assumption that football is the only sport we have. We have basketball, soccer, etc. I doubt every student would go to football. But many others might go to basketball or other sports. Besides if we start filling up our football stadium with paid students, how is this a problem? These are the kind of problems YOU WANT TO HAVE! If 30,000+ students a game turn out at $100/year, than we need a bigger stadium! And they will have the additional millions in revenue to justify building one. Think about this, it's a good idea. We can't wait for "good seasons" to start to do this. We need to do this to have good seasons.

Edited by chrisfisher

When can we expect the capitol campaign to go public and hear some news on it's progress? Also, what kind of performance criteria is set for not only Coach Dickey and his staff, but for the other major sports(men's and women's basketball) as well? What will happen if the requried results are not met? Thanks.

How would one go about promoting this idea? Also, I suspect only the school will determine performance criteria.

As many of you know now, I am current UNT student.  The last thing I want to see happen is for my UNT fees (or tuition) to increase. However, maybe UNT should consider charging all students $100/year ($50/semester) or whatever to cover tickets to all sporting events. Currently, all students get in free. It wouldn't make much difference in my loans received.  Moreover, $100 per 33,000 students = millions.  Most major schools do this, and students that come to UNT from other schools are surprised that we don't already.  Charging students for sporting events would also: (1) get more students out to games (2) make a definitive statement about the value and commitment to UNT sports (3) fund more things like we discuss in the forum. The millions received plus #1, #2, and #3 will obviously create a situation that will continuously feed itself and kick the Mean Green train into full steam ahead. The benefits could be enormous in terms of revenue, recruiting, stadiums, fans support, etc.

I got news for you buddy, you are already being charged for tickets to all sporting events. It's in the student service fees you pay. The Athletic Dept gets a share of that money to cover the cost of student admissions-- that's why you are getting in "free" You are already paying to attend sporting events whether you go or not. So you have a great idea....but UNT is already doing it and has for years.

Edited by Baby Arm!

I got news for you buddy,  you are already being charged for tickets to all sporting events.  It's in the student service fees you pay.  The Athletic Dept gets a share of that money to cover the cost of student admissions-- that's why you are getting in "free"  You are already paying to attend sporting events whether you go or not.  So you have a great idea....but UNT is already doing it and has for years.

Thanks for the information. I had no idea. I'll have to check my student fees again. I am happy to hear that I contribute to the athletics department and didn't even know it!! biggrin.gif

I got news for you buddy,  you are already being charged for tickets to all sporting events.  It's in the student service fees you pay.  The Athletic Dept gets a share of that money to cover the cost of student admissions-- that's why you are getting in "free"  You are already paying to attend sporting events whether you go or not.  So you have a great idea....but UNT is already doing it and has for years.

I looked it up and you are definitely on track. I think sporting events fall under "recreational activities." Here is the fee UNT charges:

Student Service Fees $14.00 per hour

15 hour maximum charge in Fall/Spring

7.5 hour maximum charge in Summer sessions

Student service fees are assessed in proportion to the number of semester credit hours for which a student registers to cover the cost of student services that directly involve or benefit students, including, but not limited to, recreational activities, artist and lecture series, cultural entertainment series, debating and oratorical activities and student government.

I wonder how much of this actually goes to the athletics department? I would think sporting events draw more than any other school activity. I wonder if the fee distribution reflects this?

I propose we create a system of credit hours and assign anywhere from 3 - 6 per class. Then, we could create a rate for undergraduate and graduate students to pay per credit hour. This money could help run the university. Thoughts?

Actually, this is a graduate student behind athletics. The guy is rare - like an albnio squirrel or my mother giving me attention as a child. Shower him with praise and don't let him leave.

I propose we create a system of credit hours and assign anywhere from 3 - 6 per class. Then, we could create a rate for undergraduate and graduate students to pay per credit hour. This money could help run the university. Thoughts?

I think you misred that. It was $14.00 per credit hour. Full time for Grad students are 9-12 hours/semester, while full-time Undergrads are 12-15/semester (I think).

Actually, this is a graduate student behind athletics. The guy is rare - like an albnio squirrel or my mother giving me attention as a child. Shower him with praise and don't let him leave.

Hehehe.. I love this board... y'all crack me up! biggrin.gif

Edited by chrisfisher