Report Card

Mean'n'Green07

First off, thank god its football season again. The game was pretty much what I expected and was a vintage Darrell Dickey season opener.

The Defense: B+

I know most of you are saying they hung 56 points on us how can we get a B+? Our offense and special teams were FLAT OUT TERRIBLE in the first half. Besides the first series, it seemed like every drive of their's started at our 35 yard line. If we could of moved the ball and at least killed some clock I think we're looking at a 17-0 deficit at the half, not bad considering the UT offense. Add in the lack of offense, them running up the score, and us giving up in the 4th quarter and I don't see them scoring 56. This game could of been a much lower scoring contest, but again it was a Dickey season opener.

The Offense: D-

Our offense didn't exist in the first half. We did sustain one drive and score, and to me that was classic Dickey offense. Run the ball and compliment it with the mid to deep passing game. I really feel that our offense revolves around JaMario Thomas but relies on our QB. Without the 20-30 yard pass and the occasional 5 yard slant we can't run the ball effectively. We need Wilson to step up next week against SMU.

Special Teams: D-

Blocked field goals and their punt returns killed us. UT has much more depth so this didn't come as a huge shocker that they would dominate special teams. I was impressed with our punter though.

Other comments: Wilson has the potenial to be a star. He needs to learn that theres a time when to throw the ball away and when to scramle. In the Dickey offense we can't afford to get in a 2nd and 20. I can't wait to see what his speed will do to a slower SMU defense, and if he can get the passing game going the speed option out of the shotgun will be lethal with him and JT.

Edited by Mean'n'Green07

Guest GrayEagleOne

Offense: F

In spite of some happy moments by Wilson and a couple of decent runs by Jamario, an offense that totals 95 yards with negative rushing yards does not deserve anything higher than an F. Previous offenses that did move the ball a few more yards but couldn't score deserved an F also.

Defense: F

When you give up a touchdown on the third play of the game, 56 points total, and flunked Tackling 101, again, you don't deserve anything better than an F. I do see some hope though, because our team speed was pretty good.

Special Teams: C

At least our special teams didn't beat us. We had decent coverage but not as good as Texas. One extra point; one blocked field goal. Spencer, after a slow start, got his punting average up to a very respectable 41.8 but his longest was returned most of the distance that he kicked it.

Defense: A-

Offense (with WW): C

Offense (with MP): F

Special Teams: D (Note: Those low-flying kicks could be a serious liability)

I thought the DB's did GREAT, considering! Did not really watch the lines close, but looked like they held their own at times.

I REALLY love WW, and think he could be something special for us. Thsi was his first game, and it was UT at that. I honestly think he could slice up teams in the Belt, and make us more competitive for OOC teams in the future. I just like a more mobile QB.

blink.gif

What was the score again?

Well, to be fair the grading "rules" were never established. smile.giftongue.gif

I was grading the defense based on how well they did based on years past. Keep in mind, at least 14 of these points were just "give me" TD's...and the Special Teams really did not help much.

I think we actually did play better than the score reflects. That fact is, you cannot play a team like UT and make as many mistakes as we did. sad.gif

Edited by NCMeanGreen

Well let me start off by saying that I was in the stands, in all green gear, for the entire game without commercial interruptions.

The first touchdown wouldn't have been a touchdown if we did anything but arm-tackle. Another thing that ticked me off is the three Mean Green players slowed down about the 20 as if it was a lost cause. Dive or something.

My biggest gripe of the entire game is how in the world can you hope to compete anywhere if you can't come up with anything when starting at your opponents 24 yard line. Points there may have made the game interesting.

It's a shame that you see people always saying that we played good for what we are up against. I was there and I'm here to tell you that is not the truth. Texas would have had their asses handed to them if it was Ohio State instead of us.

All a Sun Belt title means is that you're the best of the worst in I-A. If you are content with that I feel for you. The Sun Belt was the best that could've happened for these types. It makes it easy to forget gettin our butts kicked in the Big West. I bleed green and can't accept this.

I am by no means saying that we should have won this game. I am only saying that if we had played mistake free football the game would've ended more like 35-14 which sits with me a lot better than 56-7. I guess it helps to have a coach that believes in his team and doesn't expect to lose. Anyone can win on any given day except for those coached by an expectation to lose. You think that the players don't see and hear the coach say stuff like he did to the press about think about how much money we're making when we're gettin our asses handed to us at Texas.

I've written so much I'm lost so there are probably tons of gramatical errors but I at least got that off my chest. Rant over.

P.S. Woody Wilson gives me a new degree of hope for this season but I still don't think we should strive for mediocrity.

Edited by Cr1028
Thanks Adler

Well let me start off by saying that I was in the stands, in all green gear, for the entire game without commercial interruptions.

The first touchdown wouldn't have been a touchdown if we did anything but arm-tackle. Another thing that ticked me off is the three Mean Green players slowed down about the 20 as if it was a lost cause. Dive or something.

My biggest gripe of the entire game is how in the world can you hope to compete anywhere if you can't come up with anything when starting at your opponents 24 yard line. Points there may have made the game interesting.

It's a shame that you see people always saying that we played good for what we are up against. I was there and I'm here to tell you that is not the truth. Texas would have had their asses handed to them if it was Ohio State instead of us.

All a Sun Belt title means is that you're the best of the worst in I-A. If you are content with that I feel for you. The Sun Belt was the best that could've happened for these types. It makes it easy to forget gettin our butts kicked in the Big West. I bleed green and can't accept this.

I am by no means saying that we should have won this game. I am only saying that if we had played mistake free football the game would've ended more like 35-14 which sits with me alot better than 56-7. I guess it helps to have a coach that believes in his team and doesn't expect to lose. Anyone can win on any given day except for those coached by an expectation to lose. You think that the players don't see and hear the coach say stuff like he did to the press about think about how much money we're making when we're gettin our asses handed to us at Texas.

I've written so much I'm lost so there are probably tons of gramatical errors but I at least got that off my chest. Rant over.

P.S. Woody Wilson gives me a new degree of hope for this season but I still don't think we should strive for mediocrity.

Preach on brotha... preach on.

I was there in the stands with a group of Texas fans and a group of Greenies, plus a pony for fun. I have the peeling skin to prove it.

OFFENCE: I

Texas' defense wasn't that good. You should be able to score from the 8. But, seven points on the national champs while totally outclassed. Not bad, considering. We'll have to see the SMU game to get a good reading. Thus, an incomplete, as Kirk H said, you just can't judge Texas against North Texas....two totally different worlds.

"Very Special" TEAMS: WF

Never showed up to class. Often gave UT possesion on our end, making our defenses' jobs impossible. The size of the loss is entirely, completely their fault.

DEFENCE: B+

Did a great job against impossible odds. Hung with UT until the 4th (when even Texas fans couldn't make it through Texas Fight because of the heat). Gave up plenty of points, but when you have to defend starting from your own 40, It's tough. Poor tackling, but what you'd expect against texas, a win?

COACHING: B-

Showed new looks on offence and defence, and kept things interesting. Dickey draw plays down signifigantly. Should have been able to get the special teams working, and to anticipate a few surprises. Mack Brown was right in his postgame: NT showed a lot of unexpected stuff, and were a better opponent than last time.

Feelin' pretty good for the ponies.

Edited by Legend500

Defense B

Showed a lot of maturity and looked a lot more seasoned. That D is 100 times better than last years.

Offense

QB- C Woody Wilson was amazing while he was in. I think its something we can work with

RB- C+ Nothing spectacular but a couple of nice plays, Jamario refused to go down and made some good cuts.

WR- C Not a lot to say that td catch and couple of others were nice but there were some dropped balls too.

OL- D pretty ugly