I feel good vs. SMU

emmitt01

UNT alums and MG fans need to start telling, writing and emailing UNT leaders as to what kind of NCAA D1-A football program they really want to have back in Denton once again. 

When telling, writing and emailing be sure and include your level of donations/personal committment. Let's um know you're actively committed and not just another sideline complainer.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--Why didn't DD use Jamario early.... easy answer.... by passing some in the beginning, the defense backed off the line of scrimmage to cover receivers and we at least a had a chance to run (unlike the So. Miss Bowl game). I swear some folks know nothing about football.

Please tell me, aside from Ohio State, who we would have lost to this badly....anyone? No, not Texas Tech, not aTm, not Baylor, not anyone in the Big XII. None of them will touch UT this year. None of them.

And to say that UT is not the same team without Vince Young, you are exactly right. They're still a team filled with NFL caliber talent led by a quarterback who was better than anyone we have THE DAY HE WALKED ONTO CAMPUS. We weren't facing some cast off yesterday, we were facing blue chip talent backed up by blue chip talent.

All I'm saying is my wishes when we walked out of memorial stadium two years ago were:

1)Show improvement the next time we're here.

2)Show some sort of creativity and adaptation in the game plan

3)A team that played with fire from the 1st through 4th quarters

I saw that. Apparently most everone else in the world simply saw 56-7.

All I'm saying is my wishes when we walked out of memorial stadium two years ago were:

1)Show improvement the next time we're here.

2)Show some sort of creativity and adaptation in the game plan

3)A team that played with fire from the 1st through 4th quarters

I saw that. Apparently most everone else in the world simply saw 56-7.

I am right there with you Emmitt. Couldn't have said ity better myself

I'm thinking that SMU will have a ball game next week.

Woody will be able to pick apart defenses when he has some protection, running, or scrambling and finding somebody. I am sure he'll have more than a few 100 yards rushing and passing games this year against sun belt defenses.

Frankly, I think our chances next week with SMU are decent. We will have to play better all around, but some of the mistakes are correctable and some of them were due to much faster players than the Ponies have.

Frankly, I like our chances this season. I personally think this squad will improve throughout the season (as is usually the case when 4/5 of your rotation is underclassmen and fully 1/2 are freshmen and sophomores). This team should jell in the course of this season and be much improved by November. Next year, looks even better, in my opinion.

I know others may see it diffently, but thats why they play. We'll all see how this season unfolds in due time. But, I'm far from being ready to throw in the towel.

I agree with you emmit. I understand alot of you are disapointed with a huge loss but you have to be realistic here. You don't go from 2-9 to almost beating the defending national champions. This is a team who blew out just about every big XII opponent they faced.

Yesterday we took a small step in the right direction. The key is we have to keep going in that direction. Lets wait until we've playe the rest of our OOC schedule, if we keep improving and beat a few teams (SMU, Tulsa or La Tech) thats a major improvement in my opinion.

When telling, writing and emailing be sure and include your level of donations/personal committment. Let's um know you're actively committed and not just another sideline complainer.

I give money to those who I like what they are doing and don't give money to those who I don't like what they're doing--simple as that. I think from all accounts, others on this board have recently adopted this concept, too. But FWIW, that's their personal business--and for damn sure not mine or anyone elses on this forum and beyond.

Any UNT graduate is a stock-holder of our alma mater and (because of that) has as much verbal capital available to them to voice their opinions as anyone. For those on campus (specifically athletics) who can't handle this, then they probably need to join the rest of us out here in the non-academic world where mediocrity is never rewarded with extended contracts or bonus checks.

Please tell me, aside from Ohio State, who we would have lost to this badly....anyone?  No, not Texas Tech, not aTm, not Baylor, not anyone in the Big XII.  None of them will touch UT this year.  None of them. 

I agree with most of your comments on this thread, Emmitt, but I believe we would have gotten a much worse thrashing from Tech. Leach is an ass who would have run up the score. Texas may have the defense to shut down Tech's offense. We don't. Leach would have tried to hang 100 on us.

Other than that, good observations. Sorry the ride home was so long.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF SMU !!!!!!!!!!!

I can already see SMU is the game of Coach Dickey's career.

If NT wins, then the fans who like him will canonize him, those who are in the middle will give him more time, and those who want him gone will find the middle much less willing to listen.

If NT loses, then many of fans who like him will jump ship, those in the middle have thier hopes up now and will be crushed and angry, those who want him gone will feel the time is right to have him removed, and will probably find a receptive audience.

I can already see SMU is the game of Coach Dickey's career.

If NT wins, then the fans who like him will canonize him, those who are in the middle will give him more time, and those who want him gone will find the middle much less willing to listen.

If NT loses, then many of fans who like him will jump ship, those in the middle have thier hopes up now and will be crushed and angry, those who want him gone will feel the time is right to have him removed, and will probably find a receptive audience.

Good post. I still say that Dickey isn't going anywhere until the end of the season. It won't be until we watch a 2nd Sun Belt team go to OUR bowl that we will see Dickey leaving. We should still be able to beat our Conference Competition; if not - then he will have to go... heck, he might even leave on his own. Dickey is a good man. This is about wins and losses.

Good post.  I still say that Dickey isn't going anywhere until the end of the season.  It won't be until we watch a 2nd Sun Belt team go to OUR bowl that we will see Dickey leaving.  We should still be able to beat our Conference Competition; if not - then he will have to go... heck, he might even leave on his own.  Dickey is a good man.  This is about wins and losses.

SMUt is an important game for DD and for North Texas' metroplex recruiting and bragging rights. But otherwise, it is no more important than Tulsa or La Tech. Even if we beat SMUt then finish say 2-10 or 3-9 or such I still say DD should be gone.

SMUt is an important game for DD and for North Texas' metroplex recruiting and bragging rights.  But otherwise, it is no more important than Tulsa or La Tech.  Even if we beat SMUt then finish say 2-10 or 3-9 or such I still say DD should be gone.

While I agree with you as a neutral fan - as a North Texas fan, I can assure you that if NT wins the SMU game, then Dickey can end the season with 4 wins and still keep his job.

SMUt is an important game for DD and for North Texas' metroplex recruiting and bragging rights.  But otherwise, it is no more important than Tulsa or La Tech.  Even if we beat SMUt then finish say 2-10 or 3-9 or such I still say DD should be gone.

No, the SMU game is much bigger than Tulsa or La Tech.

If we beat SMU, I think Coach Dickey can survive a season with only a few other wins.

Survive another year? Is that the kind of life that DD wants for himself? Surely not.

No, of course Coach Dickey wants to beat SMU, and all the rest of the games. Mainly, because he wants stebo to pay off on his latest bet, if we end up in New Orleans, stebo will eat a crow, two gold fish, and build a statue of Dickey out of legos.

Texas will be in the hunt for another national championship unless they shoot themselves in the foot. They are the real thing. Only a handful of teams are in that bracket.

We play no one else of that caliber the rest of the year. SMU, if we can settle our QB situation this week, will be the standard to judge ourselves. The rest of our competition will be equal or just a little above or below SMU.

I was so much to be optimistic about in our performance against UT. They had a better team than they did two years ago and I believe ours is not as strong especially at this point in the season.

We need all fans to turn out and we need to fill Fouts by any method necessary.

Our fan support can add alot to the team's performance.

, and had Texas lined up to pnt but they faked it and got a first down.

Am I the only one in the stadium that knew Texas was going to fake? There is no way the #2 team in the country is going to punt on 4th and 3 against one of the teams on the waiting list for ESPN's bottom 20. They are way too arrogant for that, especially at home. We were given a 41 point head start and couldn't even cover the spread.

I am not sure that we can judge how good we are by SMU maybe how bad.

In the Jeff Sagarin NCAA football ratings UNT is ranked 119 and SMU is 117. I would rather measure against a mid-major like Tulsa ranked 68.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL thru results of SEPTEMBER 3 SUNDAY

You guys don't know if they are a powerhouse again this year because they have only played us. Even some analyst said they would be better off playing themselves. Do you guys like this reputation? We got our butts kicked by a quarterback taking his first college snap....ever. Not cool. Once we see next week's game we will know if they are as good as you guys think. I happen to think that they aren't. If they were to finish say .500 ish for the season, would you guys still see this game the same way?

You guys don't know if they are a powerhouse again this year because they have only played us.  Even some analyst said they would be better off playing themselves. Do you guys like this reputation? We got our butts kicked by a quarterback taking his first college snap....ever.  Not cool. Once we see next week's game we will know if they are as good as you guys think. I happen to think that they aren't. If they were to finish say .500 ish for the season, would you guys still see this game the same way?

I get what you are saying but Colt is a product of that system. The other QB looked pretty bad against us... but Colt looked "serviceable"- Vince Young, he is not. I think that this Texas team will do fine this year but not repeat; the odds are against them. We will find out next week just how good we are and they are. Yesterday didn't really tell me anything other then the fact that we should start Wilson at QB.

I was at the Tech-SMU game this weekend...some observations:

1. Justin Willis is a competitor. I was impressed with his running ability. He had one play that was very reminiscent of the wild run Seneca Wallace (Iowa State) had against Tech a few years ago.

2. SMU's running game is sound. I know the stats don't seem to agree with me, but they did have some impressive runs.

3. SMU's defensive players are good, fundamental tacklers. I was VERY impressed with their tackling. There was not a lot of YAC for Tech unless there was no SMU defender anywhere close at all. When they made contact, they were sound and followed through.

4. I do think UNT's offensive line should be able to handle the rush by SMU's defensive line. I didn't think they (SMU's d-line) were very good.

5. SMU's kick and punt coverage teams were either very good, or Tech's protection was very bad, or it was a combination of both.

6. I would like to report on SMU's passing game, but they didn't attempt enough passes to be able to report on anything.

7. I feel a bit dirty that I'll be watching SMU live back-to-back Saturdays.

Edited by Tramp96

Be glad you are NT fan and not a Colorado or University of New Mexico Fan. They are about to have a heart attack in Albuquerque after losing to Portland State 17-6. Losing to Division ll teams is a real bad thing. I will take the loss to Texas and yes I wish it would have been closer but stop and think the money that goes into their program and the money that goes into ours. I gave UNT 6k in the last two years to the athletic program and half to the general fund but none to be used in the music department. They tried to talk me out of sending money to the athletic program and I responed that I was the giving money to the university because of the athletic program at UNT. I am very proud of UNT win or lose if I wanted to be a fair weather fan I would be cowboy fan. Go Mean Green and kick SMU out of Fouts field. This will be the first year in six years I will not make a game. My daugher is costing me to much attending UNT with out of state tuition. She hated Denton when she first arrived but now wants to stay in Denton when she finishes school. She loves UNT and Denton. Anyone have any job openings for a UNT graduate? I have read the posts for a long time and decided to give an outsiders view. One day I will be retire and move back to Denton and see you all on game day win or lose.