Choosing to watch UT game from home or a Bar? Why?

stebo

I am just curious as to how many fans as going to stay home this time (and watch it on TV) instead of paying an outrageous sum of money to watch us lose? Did you go in the past? What is changing your mind for this year?

Since I posed the question, I will be the first to answer it. I will be forced to stay home and watch the game from home (maybe a bar)... I just had back surgery and honestly don't think I can make the walk back and forth to the stadium - along with standing in the lines, etc.... Would I have gone without the surgery? I don't think so. While Jamario gives me a little bit of hope for a respectable loss - the fact that it is TUESDAY and we do not have a starting QB is enough to tell me that this could be a massacre. Pay to watch my Beloved Mean Green get massascred? I don't think so... who knows, I might show up - I always say that I am not going and then end up going anyways. We will see.

Everyone else staying home - why?

We are staying home because ...

#1 I am in a wedding that day.

#2 I was just in Austin weekend before last for the bachelorette party for the wedding.

Otherwise we would have for sure gone. We were planning on it until I was asked to be in the wedding. Austin is always a great place to travel to.

I'm going and here is my "why?"

First off, Zeke won a trip down on the bus and he's letting me tag along. biggrin.gif

More importantly, though, I know the result may not be pretty but I want the players to look up in the stands as they exit the tunnel and throughout the game and see that as many of us as possible are there. That we believe in them...if not their coaches.

1. The airfare I dropped 2 years ago hurt, but not nearly as much as the performance on the field.

2. Been there done that. My top places to watch a game 1. LSU (which I ate airfare for last year due to the Hurricane - RIP Citizens of NO and Long Live the Big Easy) 2. Oklahoma - I always enjoy hanging in Norman for the weekend.

3. San Antonio for a wedding the following weekend - I will be listening for that score up in Denton! BEAT SMU!

Maybe I have been sitting a palm tree for too long, but this is the least excited I have been for a Mean Green opener - EVER! I can't explain it but don't like it! I have friends in Hawaii traveling to Alabama for the Warrior/Crimson Tide game. They are all geeked and excited and I think, "wow, that use to be me with the Mean Green!" Maybe a Texas size shocker would rejuice me, but that is my reason for not heading to Austin this weekend.

I have also had 2 tough years of Mean Green openers - 3rd time a charm?

GMG

Why I'm going.

I'm going because, this is the first year that I have the means to go to an away game (thanks to my UNT degree) and if the team ever needed the support of their fans, it's in a game like this.  It's also the closest away game.

This will be the first ever UT-North Texas game I have ever missed (been going since the series started back in 1976). I grew up in Austin and spent many a Saturday in Memorial (now DKR) Stadium and would have gone back this time BUT:

1. 11 am in the heat in bad seats to watch a probable blow-out (show me I'm wrong team);

2. Too many things to take care of Labor Day Weekend.

3. Plan to go to the SMU game and two road trips in a row is now a little more than I enjoy.

Will be watching on TV though and hope to see some encouraging signs.

I'll be there with FFR, my son, and his girlfriend......a TCU graduate. I don't know why I keep going to games like this, other than I know that the team needs to have as many people wearing green in the stands as possible.

My wife continues to offer me what she considers to be the viable alternative of beating me with barbed wire. From her point of view, it couldn't be anymore painful, and it would be over with quicker. Plus, it's much cheaper!

Well I got invited to my friends apt to watch the game near Fouts actually. My brother is a UT alum and got tickets for the both us but I turned them down like I did two years ago. He and his friends will actually watch on T.V. instead. I cant bear watching us getting a pounding, the Tulsa game was the hardest...So me and and several friends will BBQ and watch Texas probably run amok on us...

Not optimistic, especially as Stebo said, we still dont have a QB starter picked out yet and that our scout team beat our 1st string team, it doesnt look good guys....All I care about is beating SMU, if we dont i will go ballistic in the tailgating area....

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Not going due to combination of the following...

1. We are not as good as we were 4 or 5 years ago when I went down there and we had a respectable showing (27-0, I believe).

2. $50 to sit in the worst seats on the planet. No thanks.

If we look like we have half a clue against UT and we beat SMU, I'll see you in Tulsa.

A.) I probably have a negative balance in the bank

B.) I'm more than likely moving out of state soon for work, so I need to save.

C.) Most importantly...I don't want to feel the they way I felt last time I blew all that money going to Austin to see my team take the on-field equivalent of a prison rape.

Edited by JayDub

A.)  I probably have a negative balance in the bank

B.)  I'm more than likely moving out of state soon for work, so I need to save.

C.)  Most importantly...I don't want to feel the they way I felt last time I blew all that money going to Austin to see my team take the on-field equivalent of a prison rape.

prison rape---- laugh.gif

i'm staying home because i have no desire to be around 100,000 people...i don't like people that much!

B.)  I'm more than likely moving out of state soon for work, so I need to save.

out of state radio job??? just curious...

out of state radio job???  just curious...

Nah, got out of radio about a year and a half ago.

Just got my FAA Aircraft Dispatcher certificate...been offered a job by SkyWest Airlines in St. George, Utah pending a few bits of paperwork. They run regional jets for United Express and Delta Connection. (They had nothing to do with Lexington, KY this past weekend.)

Edited by JayDub

Way to go JayDub.

I have a dispatcher cert also. Resigned 8 years ago from American Eagle. It was a fun job but I was not progressing (moving up to AA dispatch) as fast as I thought I should. Hope it is better for you.

I am watching the UNT - tu game from home because I have to work later that day (6P-6A).

As it turns out I will miss the UNT - smu game the next week. I am in surgery on the 7th and will still be in the hospital till Sunday. mad.gif

Edited by gksmith