Does NT go after this guy

GreenBat

Published: August 18, 2006 09:25 am

CHS student arrested

Greg Stewart implicated in recent robbery

From Staff Reports

Corsicana High School senior Greg Stewart, 18, turned himself into authorities at 3:30 p.m. Thursday after a warrant for his arrest was issued in connection with the June 3 robbery of a Shell Food Mart on West Seventh Avenue.

Corsicana Police Sgt. Becky Simpson said she obtained a robbery warrant on Stewart earlier this week and said that the testimony of both the store clerks as well as one of the suspects that was caught, turned the tide in the investigation.

“From the statements of the witnesses, the testimony of the suspect and video surveillance in the store, we were able to issue the warrant,” Simpson said.

Simpson said Stewart is being alleged as the driver in the robbery.

The other suspects in the case are juveniles and remain in custody.

There were no weapons used in the heist and Simpson said it started as a shoplifting case but quickly escalated to a robbery.

“When the clerk was assaulted, it turned into a larger crime,” she said.

Simpson said Stewart had the option of turning himself in or be arrested.

Stewart’s bond has been set at $10,000.

“Since (Stewart) has no criminal history, the bond was a little lower,” Simpson said.

Stewart gained notoriety in the Tigers’ passing game in 2005. He was the leading receiver for Corsicana and was working out at quarterback for the team this year.

Tigers must move ahead

Stewart off team for now; Baylor no longer interested

From Staff Reports

Tigers football coach Dave Henigan and his program will move on as if star wide receiver and Baylor commitment Greg Stewart will not be a member of the team, and allow the legal system to take its course.

Stewart, 18 and a senior at CHS, was arrested Thursday and charged with felony robbery in connection with a June 3 offense at a convenience store on Seventh Avenue. Police officials said he was believed to be the driver.

Stewart turned himself in and bonded out, authorities said.

Friday afternoon, Baylor’s associate athletic director of communications Nick Joos said the university was no longer recruiting Stewart.

Because of the charges, Stewart will have to attend alternative education classes, Henigan said, per district guidelines. Because he is in AEP, he cannot participate in extra-curricular activities.

“It’s disappointing,” Henigan said. “I told the guys, and this is the truth, no one person is bigger than the team or bigger than any other person, a player or a coach.

“Whenever this happens in life, you pick yourself up, brush yourself off and go back to work.”

Stewart’s long-term status with the team could be determined by the legal road he takes, Henigan admitted, but the third-year coach would not speculate on Stewart’s return should he be exonerated.

Last year Stewart was the team’s leading receiver with 67 catches for 1,140 yards and nine touchdowns. On the career receiving list, he trails current Navarro Bulldogs receiver Jon Bauer in receptions (146 to 76), is third in yardage behind Bauer and current New Orleans Saint Bethel Johnson and fourth in touchdowns. He would need 1,111 yards and 13 touchdowns to become the program’s leaders.

Stewart is one of three seniors who committed to Baylor over the summer, along with linebacker Chris Sanders and lineman Courtney Green.

All three are on the cover of the Daily Sun’s annual preseason football special section, Golden Circle Football 2006, set to be released Aug. 31. Stewart is also featured in the tabloid.

Production on Football 2006 ended Monday, and the cover and section have been printed.

Yeah, let's not recruit a guy that's been arrested.

Let's just bail out current players hours before a bowl game.

Or let's have players rip ATM's out of the ground.

Or let's have star linebackers who are currently in the NFL who just happened to have a nice probation file when they were in school (I know, I worked in adult probation)

Or lets......

I'm not saying let's open the floodgates to every felon we can....let's just see how this plays out and go from there.

--You have got to be kidding!! Would you also support having your brother marry a "hot" woman if she had spent time walking the street for a living. I have more pride in myself and my university that that. I would not want to be lumped into that class of people.

--- I suppose that my family could become instantly super rich by marrying into a family of mobsters but I would not want that either.

---I have notice a degree of disrepect on this board of SMU because of their history of cheating ways.... It just is not worth it to win a few games.

It's a little early yet to say the kid is a waste. There have been a number of kids at NT, athletes and others, who did things that were bad, got probation and never did anything bad again.

Of course, there are others who think society "owes" them and end up in prison.

Don't do much till this plays out.

Saving a few scholarships till the Fall is not always a bad thing as we've found out this year!

----After reading carefully it is quite possible he just did a stupid thing. No weapons and perhaps some of the others did things that he never expected. It was mentioned as originally being a shop-lifting situation that got out of hand.... It could have been a stupid beer run ( not exactly rare since minors can't legally buy it) that some idiot escalated into a bad situation. The "beer run" if that is what it was is not smart but it is not exactly prison material either.

---Armed robbery... totally different situation or if they looted a cash-register. Assault could just mean someone pushed back the store keeper who physically tried to stop them.. Apparently the kid was driver and not the real problem person in the store.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Who knows? Obviously the kid was out screwing around in a big way, but it doesn't sound like your old late 1980's "Dallas Carter" armed robbery gang situation. I guess it just depends on what the individual is like and what the disposition of the case turns out to be. Certainly wouldn't want him around if he's a kid with a serious attitude problem, but I guess I still believe in innocent until proven guilty.

I don't get it. Why would we want this guy?? Because he's a suspected felon or because Baylor wanted him??

Last I checked, Baylor wasn't exactly pulling in the best recruiting classes in the nation. This guy, Stewart, isn't even listed on DCTF's Texas Top 300. He's listed as 5'10", 160 lbs. Surely we can find that kind of size and talent without having to compromise morals??

And, if we're going to go digging in the trash, let's at least go to the rich neighborhoods...

I'm about as pro-athletics as you will find on the faculty, but I would have a hard time supporting the program if it became a haven for miscreants and castoffs from other schools as a way to shortcut the way to athletic success. I don't know about this kid's situation and he may be unique, but it would be disappointing if UNT were to begin bringing in students with these kinds of issues on a regular basis. Fortunately, I doubt that it will happen.

I don't get it.  Why would we want this guy??  Because he's a suspected felon or because Baylor wanted him??

Last I checked, Baylor wasn't exactly pulling in the best recruiting classes in the nation.  This guy, Stewart, isn't even listed on DCTF's Texas Top 300.  He's listed as 5'10", 160 lbs.  Surely we can find that kind of size and talent without having to compromise morals??

And, if we're going to go digging in the trash, let's at least go to the rich neighborhoods...

Because he's a great player, forget the fact that Baylor wanted him. He's a great athlete and a playmaker and at last count this program needed as many playmakers as it can get.

If this CHARGE is true, I don't think we should actively recruit him, but we'll have to wait until things play out.

Because he's a great player, forget the fact that Baylor wanted him. He's a great athlete and a playmaker and at last count this program needed as many playmakers as it can get.

If this CHARGE is true, I don't think we should actively recruit him, but we'll have to wait until things play out.

--Agree-- let it play out. Not a lot of details here. Someone mentioned go to rich neighborhoods instead. I know of a local underage girl (her father was a fortune 500 person) who got caught doing what I said... Grabbing beer and running. If this is what happened then it may not be a real serious deal. The assault item may have been the other person, as I read it, and it may be pushing off to get away and not what most people think of as a violent crime.. Kids do dumb things at times and if that is the case and he has no record of anything else he may not be a bad kid really. I have had over 8000 students and a lot of them have done a lot of stupid things but were good citizens as a whole.

--- If it was actually a normal robbery ( for money or items of real value) then forget him, he not worth the risk..... We don't need the image that Miami has. .....(people do remember that stuff, note-- another poster commented about it)

---Baylor already has image problems due to the basketball, shooting/murder situation... They are taking no chances.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66