DMN Bomar's dad contacts NT about sons future

OldTimer

Bomar's dad contacts UNT about son's future

04:01 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 8, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Jerry Bomar has spoken with North Texas assistant head coach Kenny Evans about the future of Bomar's son Rhett and the possibility of him playing for the Mean Green, Evans said Tuesday.

Evans spoke with Jerry Bomar shortly after his son and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn were dismissed from Oklahoma after a university investigation revealed the players were paid by Big Red Sports/Imports, a local car dealership, for work they did not perform last summer and fall. Evans advised the Bomars on the steps Rhett, who was the Sooners’ starting quarterback, should take while trying to resume his college football career.

Evans and UNT head coach Darrell Dickey both said they would be willing to consider Bomar continuing his career at UNT.

Jerry Bomar did not return a message seeking comment.

Bomar has yet to be released by Oklahoma, which could choose not to release him to a school on its upcoming schedule. UNT is scheduled to open the 2007 season at Oklahoma.

Both Dickey and Evans said UNT would have to investigate Bomar’s situation, his status with the NCAA and of his commitment to the Mean Green before accepting him as a transfer. The NCAA could suspend Bomar, reducing the amount of eligibility he has left, after he transfers to another member school.

Several schools have expressed interest in Bomar, including TCU. Frogs coach Gary Patterson said over the weekend that he was interested in Bomar and Quinn before saying Monday that he had changed his mind and could not take on either player.

E-mail bvito@dentonrc.com

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will end up being a non-issue. He will likely be suspended from playing NCAA football for a year, who knows after that. I dont see how he could go unscathed after all of this.

Agreed.

If there was even a slim chance this wouldn't be an issue Stoops would've kept him.

I think this will end up being a non-issue. He will likely be suspended from playing NCAA football for a year, who knows after that. I dont see how he could go unscathed after all of this.

I agree, but I also think it is a shame that no punishment will be brought down on OU. That is the institution that is getting away unscathed, and now a student is taking full responsibility and blame. The alumni network should be held responsible for their schools image and success/demise just as much as the student and in this case it involves more than just 1 or 2 or 3 players.

It would definatly make things interesting in denton. This sounds bad, but I think if he did come to play for us it would boost our attendance and awareness about NT football in the region. I would assume we would be able to recruit better receivers with a proven QB.

Unlikely scenerio but just how good could we be with JT and Bomar on the same field? Just imagine if Bomar had the almighty JQ there also. Yea I realize JQ is a redshirt senior but its fun to think.

Edited by Mean'n'Green07

yes, they have, however on monday patterson said he could not take either of the ou players, bomar or quinn.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15223704.htm

Frogs won't pursue Bomar

By JEFF WILSON

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

TCU football coach Gary Patterson said late Monday that his staff has stopped recruiting Rhett Bomar, the former Oklahoma quarterback who was booted off the Sooners team Wednesday for violating NCAA rules.

Patterson said lineman J.D. Quinn, Bomar's roommate who was also involved in a scheme that netted the players money for work they didn't do, also will not be pursued.

"I got home, wrote down the pluses and minuses, and I just can't do it," Patterson said. "I feel for the families and want to help them with their options. But TCU isn't an option at this time."

Patterson didn't address whether he would pursue the duo if they landed at a junior college or in a lower NCAA division for this season and were eligible for Division I-A play in 2007.

"Right now, I'm not going to think about that," he said.

His focus is fully back on getting the Horned Frogs ready for their Sept. 3 season opener at Baylor. Patterson confirmed that the recent speculation, which focused mostly on Bomar, had become a distraction, and he addressed the situation with the team after a two-hour practice Monday.

Bomar and TCU seem to be a nice match on the field. Bomar rebounded from a slow start to rally Oklahoma to an 8-4 record last season, and his potential is one of the reasons the Sooners were considered a contender for the national championship.

Patterson said last week that he had a scholarship available for a quarterback after former backup Chad Huffman left the Frogs to pursue professional baseball. Huffman was expected to back up starter Jeff Ballard this season and possibly become the starter in 2007.

As the roster stands now, a sophomore or redshirt freshman will be the starter next year.

Bomar and Quinn had been contacted by TCU, Patterson said, but neither had been on campus. Bomar, from Grand Prairie, and Quinn, from Garland, are sophomores who could have two years of eligibility remaining if they resume Division I-A football next season.

"We've known both of the families," said Patterson, the 2005 coach of the year in the Mountain West Conference. "We wanted to help them through this troubled time."

Patterson said last week that a decision on whether to offer either player a scholarship would include high-ranking TCU officials, including Chancellor Victor Boschini. But Patterson said he made his decision without input from the chancellor.

In addition to violating NCAA rules, Bomar and Quinn have had recent brushes with the law. Bomar pleaded guilty in May to being a minor in possession of alcohol, and Quinn was arrested in November on suspicion of drunken driving.

However, both were in good academic standing when they were dismissed from the Sooners football team.

By ending his pursuit of Bomar and Quinn, Patterson is also putting an end to a situation that could escalate into a major distraction for the Frogs. He said a courtship could last two or three weeks.

Classes for the fall semester begin Aug. 21, and Bomar and Quinn would need to be enrolled by then so that they could have a full academic year without football and satisfy NCAA transfer rules between Division I-A programs.

Kyle Brennan, TCU's director of compliance, said the Frogs could have signed Bomar and Quinn to scholarships even though both have no NCAA eligibility.

The players, Brennan said, can receive aid while pursuing their reinstatement with the NCAA. To do that, the minimum standard requires them to repay the money they received from Big Red Sports/Imports in Norman, Okla.

Even then, though, there are no guarantees for reinstatement.

In the end, the questions surrounding their dismissal from Oklahoma made bringing either player to Fort Worth too great a risk for Patterson to take.

"I love the kids. I love the families. We recruited them out of high school," Patterson said. "But at this point in time, we just can't do it."

Jeff Wilson, 817-390-7953 jwilson@star-telegram.com

I just heard about this. I have never been so happy in my whole life. if this transfer goes through I think that this could be the biggest thing to ever happen to our program. Players want to go play with the #1 QB out of high school. we would get better recruits, infinitly more TV exposure (Dickey being interviewd by stewart scott about the descision making process of taking a guy with "character issues"), a built in fan base (love him or hate him... people will pay attention) ticket sales will go through the roof. to keep my rant short this could be the turning point that so many of us have been looking for. I am in.

I just heard about this. I have never been so happy in my whole life. if this transfer goes through I think that this could be the biggest thing to ever happen to our program. Players want to go play with the #1 QB out of high school. we would get better recruits, infinitly more TV exposure (Dickey being interviewd by stewart scott about the descision making process of taking a guy with "character issues"), a built in fan base (love him or hate him... people will pay attention) ticket sales will go through the roof. to keep my rant short this could be the turning point that so many of us have been looking for. I am in.

Let's not overreact. The above reasons are why this kid thinks he's above it all. Everyone caters to him, and he doesn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Let's not overreact.  The above reasons are why this kid thinks he's above it all.  Everyone caters to him, and he doesn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Again, we are in no position to take the high road in this matter. We need to take what we can get, and then take a little more. Bomar would mean Joe Blow fan would come out to Fouts to watch a game. It would mean the all-day tailgaters would come in. It would mean more media exposure and more people aware of the North Texas football program.

If he is available, you do it.