Info on Steven Woodward...kicker

OldTimer

Outstanding Jenks Kicker, Steven Woodward has recently changed his plans on where he will play his college ball.

"I was committed to play at Chadron State University, but I withdrew that commitment and I have signed with North Texas," stated Woodward.

Woodward has been long considered one of the top kickers to come out of the state of Oklahoma since current Seattle Seahawk Josh Brown came out of Foyil.

He ended up with career stats of 152-for-158 (96.2%) on PATs, 19-of-23 (82.6%) on FGs and 138 touchbacks.

His accuracy and strong leg should be a tremendous asset for the Mean Green of North Texas. Woodward will be pushing senior Denis Hopovac who is currently on campus.

Again, I just hope we keep this kicker and he reports to two-a-days.

I am glad to see we beat out Chadron State for a player.

Do you understand college recruiting? If so, then you realize that this was not a UNT vs Chaldron State recruiting battle. Obviously this kid wanted to go somewhere where a school would foot the bill for his education, and Chaldron State stepped forward...until UNT used one of their unused 'ships on him.

So, that would mean that DD played his cards very wisely; securing a top talent at a need position. And that UNT looked atractive enough to nab some top talent.

We just need to hope that he shows up to camp, and be appreciative that we may filled a big hole.

you realize that this was not a UNT vs Chaldron State recruiting battle. 

Oh, you're right, I missed the Notre Dame offer that was mentioned too.

How about we started late in the process after DD's first choice bolted for a D-II school and we were left without a backup plan? The truth hurts sometimes.

Edited by NT80

So what you're trying to say is Notre Dame was after him too?

No, though it appears as if Oklahoma, LSU and other large schools were recruiting him.

How about we started late in the process after DD's first choice bolted for a D-II school and we were left without a backup plan? The truth hurts sometimes.

It could be harder to admit that DD played his hand perfectly. DD has shown several times now that he can kind palyers that contribute immediately after signing day. Please see the resume of Aaron Weathers as proof.

No, though it appears as if Oklahoma, LSU and other large schools were recruiting him.

It could be harder to admit that DD played his hand perfectly.  DD has shown several times now that he can kind palyers that contribute immediately after signing day.  Please see the resume of Aaron Weathers as proof.

Hey, I hope he can kick 70-yard FGs and we win every game his 4 years. But DD planning to wait to July 1 to sign a kicker away from Chadron State as playing a hand perfectly? Please. laugh.gif

Oh, you're right, I missed the Notre Dame offer that was mentioned too. 

How about we started late in the process after DD's first choice bolted for a D-II school and we were left without a backup plan?  The truth hurts sometimes.

The kid's pedigree speaks for itself. There will be plenty of chances to take shots at DD, don't worry, but this aint one of 'em.

Hey, I hope he can kick 70-yard FGs and we win every game his 4 years.  But DD planning to wait to July 1 to sign a kicker away from Chadron State as playing a hand perfectly?  Please.  laugh.gif

You're a real buzz kill, instead of getting excited about the upcoming season and our new addition to the team, we are arguing over whether our head coach was wise enough to find top talent at a lower level and offer him a ship? This is nothing but a good find by Dickey and he should get the credit for it.

You're a real buzz kill, instead of getting excited about the upcoming season and our new addition to the team, we are arguing over whether our head coach was wise enough to find top talent at a lower level and offer him a ship?  This is nothing but a good find by Dickey and he should get the credit for it.

And we're also going to surprise Texas with his new spread offense and win the game!! rolleyes.gif

If Coach Dickey is to be criticized when he does something wrong, he should also be praised when he is able to pull off signing a talented player at an area of need.

I personally could care less if he waits until the week before two-a-days to sign his guys. Whenever the player is signed, if he is drawing comparisons to a Pro Bowl caliber player, I am happy.

I don't understand. Someone is saying that this is a pro-bowl caliber player. Yet the only school that stepped forward (before us) to offer him a ship was Chandron State?

What am I missing?

He is the 9th ranked kicker in the country and drew interest from many major schools. Eligibility questions, however, scared the major schools off, but we stayed on him until he qualified. Does that answer your question or do you wish we wouldn't sign a top 10 national athlete at a position because others haven't???

He is the 9th ranked kicker in the country and drew interest from many major schools. Eligibility questions, however, scared the major schools off, but we stayed on him until he qualified. Does that answer your question or do you wish we wouldn't sign a top 10 national athlete at a position because others haven't???

ok yeah we got a Top 10 recruit who just qualified academically. So we might have a great talent who could easily end up being a Joey Byerly or TJ Raymond, come in for 1 year and then be MIA for 3 years due to grades, yet we had plenty of Kickers in our backyard including one who signed with I believe Arky State (then again we all know who should be recruiting DFW but does not). Makes perfect sense, Rock on DD.

Edited by untbowler

I wasn't wishing anything but a civil answer to a pertinent question.

However, since asking a pertinent questons seems to draw the ire of people. And, since I've now been painted as negative about this, I might as well say this.

I hope we have better academic luck with him than we've had with....let's see.....Joey Byerly.....T.J. Raymond......and the list could go on.

Thanks again for the civil answer to a civil question. dry.gif

I don't understand. Someone is saying that this is a pro-bowl caliber player. Yet the only school that stepped forward (before us) to offer him a ship was Chandron State?

Not that he IS a pro bowl caliber player, Silver. That he is being COMPARED TO a pro bowl caliber player.

huh.gif  Why can't someone just say he's an outstanding talent and leave it at that. Why the grandiose comparisons. huh.gif

Having never seen the kid kick, I can't tell you for sure. All I am going off of was the report that said he is the best kicker to come out of Oklahoma since Josh Brown, who was a Pro Bowl kicker last year. I am not the one making the comparison, but, since so many of this board seem to be obsessed with recruiting "ranked" athletes, I thought it prudent to point out the credentials of the guy he is being compared to.

ok yeah we got a Top 10 recruit who just qualified academically. So we might have a great talent who could easily end up being a Joey Byerly or TJ Raymond, come in for 1 year and then be MIA for 3 years due to grades, yet we had plenty of Kickers in our backyard including one who signed with I believe Arky State (then again we all know who should be recruiting DFW but does not). Makes perfect sense, Rock on DD.

Neither Byerly nor TJ were all that highly ranked. Jonas Buckles was. He was a late qualifier. We took a chance on him and had him for four outstanding years. If you are going to nitpick to in order to make your obligatory anti-Dickey statement, why don't you at least compare apples to apples and not to oranges?

Neither Byerly nor TJ were all that highly ranked. Jonas Buckles was. He was a late qualifier. We took a chance on him and had him for four outstanding years. If you are going to nitpick to in order to make your obligatory anti-Dickey statement, why don't you at least compare apples to apples and not to oranges?

considering most everyone on this board was touting Raymond and Byerly as starters for their next season, subsequently their loss appears to be huge, the comparision is accurate sense many are already calling this kid our savior at kicker. Yeah glad Buckles and many others came in and took care of business, now lets hope this kid does the same thing.

Call it anti-DD if you want.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Island, Emmitt and others are right about this one. Hell, I don't care if Woodward called, begging for a scholarship, just so we got him. You certainly can't slam his abilities. Yes, the Plano or Cypress kicker would have been a fine addition but this kid may even be better.

As to late qualifiers, wasn't that how we got Dylan Lineberry? Definitely Jonas Buckles. It's not where you start but where you finish. We've had plenty of duds but I don't think so in this case.

Stick to the things that DD didn't do, such as getting a quality running back or any ranked player from the Metroplex but please, no cheap shots on good acquisitions, no matter how acquired. Had he qualified early, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Stick to the things that DD didn't do, such as getting a quality running back or any ranked player from the Metroplex but please, no cheap shots on good acquisitions, no matter how acquired.  Had he qualified early, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Not taking potshots, this kid looks to be the real deal. I don't understand your last sentence? Are you presuming if he was qualified early that he would not have signed here (even though he would be the immediate starter) or the coaches would not have attempted to recruit him?

Had he qualified on time he would be at a BCS school. But he didn't and I'm guessing most BCS schools already used up their ships from last year. (Hell, Texas is alomost done with next years recruiting). We had a ship so we offered. Hopefully he can come in and live up to the hype/expectations/comparisons. I wish him all the best.

And for all you doubting him because of grade issues. Are you suggesting that we not sign him? Just turn him down as a problem. So then the other half on this board can bash DD for not signing a top 10 talent.

Island, Emmitt and others are right about this one.  Hell, I don't care if Woodward called, begging for a scholarship, just so we got him. You certainly can't slam his abilities.  Yes, the Plano or Cypress kicker would have been a fine addition but this kid may even be better. 

As to late qualifiers, wasn't that how we got Dylan Lineberry?  Definitely Jonas Buckles.  It's not where you start but where you finish.  We've had plenty of duds but I don't think so in this case.

Stick to the things that DD didn't do, such as getting a quality running back or any ranked player from the Metroplex but please, no cheap shots on good acquisitions, no matter how acquired.  Had he qualified early, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I agree.

* Jenks, OK has one of the best HS programs in the country, regularly being ranked by USA Today.

* Late qualifier or not, this young man's stats speak for themselves. He's been almost automatic throughout his HS career.

* Folks who make their living analyzing the recruiting game rank him as the #9 kicking prospect in the nation.

* Who cares if he was a late qualifier, he qualified. Some other late/partial qualifiers that did quite nicely at UNT:

Eric Pegram

Jonas Buckles

Dylan Lineberry

And I beleive Cody Spencer

I also seem to remember that we were the only D1 school to offer a scholarship to a young man out of Tecumseh, OK that seems to have turned out just fine.

Recruiting is a crap shoot. Some of our best players weren't that highly recruited or played one position in HS only to switch to another at NT, such as Cobbs and Brad Kassell. Just look at Texas Football's section where they revisit recruiting classes. Many of NT's were thought to be bad on signing day turned out to pretty good classes. Give these kids a chance before you jump off the deep end bad mouthing DD.