national championships

bigrobdsp

Guest GrayEagleOne

Okay,

So what are the 4 years that the men's golf won the championship?

Can't tell you exactly but it was between 1949 and 1954. I believe that Don January and Billy Maxwell were members of all four championship teams. Joe Conrad (who I believe was later National Amateur Champion) was also on at least three of those teams.

Can't tell you exactly but it was between 1949 and 1954.  I believe that Don January and Billy Maxwell were members of all four championship teams.  Joe Conrad (who I believe was later National Amateur Champion) was also on at least three of those teams.

1949-1952. Billy Maxwell won the US Amateur Champ in 1951. Conrad played on all 4 championship teams. Belieive Maxwell & January played on 3 (50-52).

Edited by MeanGreen61

I remember PGA tour players Rives McBee in the 50s and Guy Cullum in the 70s. Those Nation Titles used to hang on the wall of the old golf course clubhouse there at Ealge point. It was on the hill there where the hotel is now. The building war really cool with a ballroom upstairs. Playing on the golf team in Jr High and High school we had lockers in the back and I thought the spirit of Don January and the boys was always there.

I recently took photos of McBee and he was sad that the old course was torn down. He also said NT was not very nice to him. He sells a bunch of golf stuff on ebay these days.

am I the only one with the 12 great moments in North Texas history calender hanging in my office? it talks all about the 4 straight NCAA golf championships that we won starting in 1949.

p.s. I would also like to point out to any old DSP's out there the months of March and May. I think someone had an alum in the commitee that made this calender??? ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

am I the only one with the 12 great moments in North Texas history calender hanging in my office? it talks all about the 4 straight NCAA golf championships that we won starting in  1949.

ph34r.gif  ph34r.gif  ph34r.gif

Where did you get this?

Guest GrayEagleOne

1949-1952. Billy Maxwell won the US Amateur Champ in 1951.  Conrad played on all 4 championship teams. Belieive Maxwell & January played on 3 (50-52).

Right you are about Billy Maxwell winning the U.S. Amateur in 51. Joe Conrad won the British Amateur championship in 1955.

Nice find. Nice to see that no school in the final eight member SWC other than UT-Austin and Houston have more than us. I always knew that Houston had a good golf program, but I had no idea that they had won 16 men's golf championships. I was also surprised to see that Houston had no track championships other than one cross country title.