1-AA name to be dropped and become PCS?

NT80

Some interesting news/banter by Arkstfan and other posters on the SBC board earlier this month about possible NCAA name changes to Divisions 1-A(BCS) and 1-AA(PCS).....

» » » There is a lot of talk going on that the extra A in I-AA will be removed this spring by the NCAA. Will be two sub divsions in DI: BCS and PCS (Playoff Champioship Series). Also some additional enhancement and toughing of eligability criteria (scholarships) for the PCS level. I think schools like Georgia Southern, WKU, APP State might be waiting to see how this shakes out.

» » They may drop the names I-A and I-AA and replace them with Division I PCS and BCS but the underlying differences will remain the same.

» » If all that changes is the name I will be surprised and disappointed.

>>Prepare to be suprised and disappointed because the NCAA Board of Directors has only asked the NCAA staff to investigate changing every reference to I-A football to BCS football and every I-AA reference to PCS football. The only other I-AA "reforms" that were considered was the I-A schedule change allowing I-A schools to play more I-AA and that was approved.

So does this "name change" pretty much bring an end to the possibility of a D-1A change to a playoff system to determine a champion?

I sure hope so, because the new BCS arrangement is the best arrangement for the SBC at the present time. When we replace the Big East as the #6 Conference that may change.

The most vocal proponents for a playoff in collage football are known ‘parasites’ whose only interest is to make money off of it at the expense of the Universities. Besides, basketball and football are totally different and the value of the non-BCS bowls to a school like UNT or ASU cannot be measured. Add to that that we now have access to the BCS bowls.

The opportunity to sell a recruit on going to the NO Bowl as a reward for a good season or going to a BCS Bowl with a great season cannot be understated.

Edited by Seminole Indian

I sure hope so, because the new BCS arrangement is the best arrangement for the SBC at the present time. When we replace the Big East as the #6 Conference that may change.

The most vocal proponents for a playoff in collage football are known ‘parasites’ whose only interest is to make money off of it at the expense of the Universities. Besides, basketball and football are totally different and the value of the non-BCS bowls to a school like UNT or ASU cannot be measured. Add to that that we now have access to the BCS bowls.

The opportunity to sell a recruit on going to the NO Bowl as a reward for a good season or going to a BCS Bowl with a great season cannot be understated.

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

I must have missed something in your statement. I am a proponent and am interested in a definative national championship where it is determined on the field and not in "polls." There is a fair way to have a playoff a the D1-A level. The conference champions from the 6 BCS conferences, WAC, CSUA, SBC plus 7 at large bids make a field of 16 teams (same number for the playoff in D1-AA).

54 of 117 D1-A teams go to a bowl game. If the NCAA still wants to have that many teams play in post season, it can still be done. The 16 go to the tournament and the other 38 play in the verious bowl games.

The BCS is adding one more bowl game. The chances of a non-BCS school cracking the top 8 to go to a big money bowl is not going to happen very often.

The BCS is adding one more bowl game. The chances of a non-BCS school cracking the top 8 to go to a big money bowl is not going to happen very often.

actually, the chances are better now than they ever have been. Utah went and won one 2 years ago and TCU would have made it last year under the new provisions. A playoff is never going to happen.

Until we go undefeated and get snubbed from a BCS bowl, we have nothing to complain about. Any undefeated non-bcs team will make it to a BCS bowl game, assuming they play a couple of strong games in a season. I doubt we could do it by playin all the SBC teams, a coule of 1AA'a, SMU and Temple, but with a win over Texas, Tulsa, SMU, La Tech, and the 'belt, I have no doubt we would be in a good position for a BCS bowl game by the end of the year.

blink.gif  blink.gif  blink.gif

I was under the impression the 5th BCS Bowl game was to matchup the highest Ranked school in a "Non-BCS" conference (SunBelt, WAC, MAC, MWC) against an at Large BCS conference school???

If this is true, which I thought it was, then North Texas has a legitimate shot at going to this game EVERY YEAR.

Edited by Got5onIt

blink.gif  blink.gif  blink.gif

I must have missed something in your statement.  I am a proponent and am interested in a definative national championship where it is determined on the field and not in "polls." There is a fair way to have a playoff a the D1-A level. The conference champions from the 6 BCS conferences, WAC, CSUA, SBC plus 7 at large bids make a field of 16 teams (same number for the playoff in D1-AA).

54 of 117 D1-A teams go to a bowl game. If the NCAA still wants to have that many teams play in post season, it can still be done. The 16 go to the tournament and the other 38 play in the verious bowl games.

The biggest problem with your proposed playoff system is that you just automatically make it a level playing field by automatically inviting teams from the weaker conferences and that will not happen. There will be no automatic invites to any school outside of the power conferences to any BCS Bowl or playoff system and that is just a fact that will not change short of Congress getting involved. The same checks and balances put in by the power conferences in the BCS System will be included in any playoff system. This is as close to fair as they will allow us to get in the foreseeable future.

Besides the addition of the 12th game shut the door on a playoff system.