NT going back to OU in 2007

NT80

Sunday, February 19, 2006

(2/19) Report: TU and OU agree to series

Oklahoma-Tulsa agree to series: Daily Oklahoman via NewsOK.com reports: Oklahoma and Tulsa have verbally agreed on a three-game football series, OU athletic director Joe Castiglione said Saturday. OU will play at Tulsa's Skelly Stadium in 2007. Tulsa will play at Owen Field in 2009 and 2011. The contract has not been officially announced, but OU's 2007 schedule also includes home games with Miami and North Texas.

Not surprised to see us on OU's schedule again...I really don't mind.  It's a body bag game, sure...but it's one we can easily drive to.

And how on earth did Tulsa get OU to come to their place?  They could fill the entire stadium with Sooner fans only.

user posted image

OU has played at Tulsa a couple times. It's mainly to accomodate the OU-alums in Tulsa. Although their stadium looks Fouts-ish I believe it can hold 40,000, 25K of which will be Sooner fans. And why did we turn down a home game with BYU again?? blink.gif

Edited by NT80

Not surprised to see us on OU's schedule again...I really don't mind. It's a body bag game, sure...but it's one we can easily drive to.

Kinda of funny if you think about it smile.gif . If it's going to be a body bag game at least you should be able to drive to it.

BTW, I'm from the camp of the "you never knows". One of these present days, we are finally going to pull a big upset. Pure numbers are on our side considering the schedule every year.

Edited by GMoney

OU has played at Tulsa a couple times.  It's mainly to accomodate the OU-alums in Tulsa.   Although their stadium looks Fouts-ish I believe it can hold 40,000, 25K of which will be Sooner fans.   And why did we turn down a home game with BYU again??   blink.gif

They have torn out the North End-Zone Bleechers to build the new Coaches Offices and class rooms for the athletes so they have cut down on the amount of people they can hold. OU played at TU a few years ago at TU when Tyler Gooch was the QB. OU came in thinking they were going to destroy TU but Tulsa gave them all they wanted with OU just inking it out in the 4th. The place was packed with people sitting on the grass hills (including me) on the South end-zone. I don't think TU won but 1 or 2 games after that which got the coach fired and I believe Kragthorpe was hired in then. I could be wrong about that though there might have been one more firing in between Kragthorpe and Raider

Edited by soonerdon

qksmith--

nothing personal but it sounds like you want UNT as a body bag school for the Big 12 and SEC for cash only??

So what are you going to do with the "big" bucks from these body bag games??

1. You can not build a stadium with that revenue.

2. You can not start development of building a pro style UNT golf course with the land just given to us.

3. You CAN give RV & DD a raise and extention of their contracts for scheduling 3 or 4 BCS schools in one year.

qksmith, IMHO, UNT should play schools within our realm of competition for a while. I do not oppose playing ONE BCS school occasionally but UNT needs wins not "Big Time" loses for vicarious viewing entertainment for those who "think" we can play competitively with OU, TX, LSU, K-STATE, ALABAMA....ect..

I am tired of UNT being a body bag school and you should not try to set UNT up for a 50+ point body bag loss until UNT gets compeititive in recruiting top 100 players instead of what we end up with. You have got to remember that UNT is ranked #107 out of 117 D-1 schools......and......if you include D-1AA schools we are probably ranked #140. UNT would not even be ranked in the top 20 of D-1AA schools.

If you come back and say that that the only way to get better is play the better schools then you need to go back and look who we have been playing since the arrival of DD!! If that is your argument then UNT should be ranked, at least in the top 50. UNT has an abysmal OOC record.

Not to start an argument...but that field does not look FOUTS-ISH at all. 

That stadium is old, not sure if its as old as Fouts but for gods sake atleast theu can sit in the stands as see the game!

I went to the TU/Minnesota game up there last year. I think I am still pulling splinters out of my rear from the experience. The sightlines aren't bad, but man it needs some serious work. Also, the players have to leave the field through a chain link fence, run through a parking lot and back into the basketball arena at halftime.

eulesseagle: So where does that money go?

One Money Game (what you call "bodybag game") a year is not bad. You can't get better unless you play better teams. That applies to every sport. Big whoop if we can beat up on teams equal to or less then UNT.

These games are not automatic losses either. What year was it UT won by 3 against North Texas? Hanging in against a Money Game team is something to be proud of. If North Texas can stay within 3 touchdowns of Texas this September, I can live with that.

qksmith--

dude, you just proved my point. Look at our OOC games that we have played since the arrival of DD.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/mo...n_the_polls.php

(this is an easy site to navigate)

do you really think UNT has gotten better by playing better teams all these years, as you suggest?? hahahahaha laugh.giflaugh.gif

I will have to admit that there are a few of you who want UNT to be body bags for other schools for the money it generates. Where does that money go that you so dearly want?? I guess it gets applied to the athletic budget somehow. Heck if I know.

I dont call getting beat by 40-50 points enjoyment. I call a close game enjoyment or one that we beat the crap out of someone enjoyment. Those are the games that we should schedule.

qksmith--if Unt is ranked #107 out of 117 D-1A teams and probably #140 if you combine all D-1A and D-1AA teams then just about anyone we play is better.

The only way to get better, is not play BCS schools like we have.....by now you can see our OOC record is disfunctional..............THE ONLY WAY TO TURN THE PROGRAM AROUND IS TO GET COACHES WHO CAN RECRUIT.

eulesseagle:

It takes more then the coach to recruit. It is the program and the program's success. Otherwise, when the coach leaves, everything goes down the toilet. The coach helps boost the program and the program helps boost the coach.

Dickey has done a lot for this program. We are still a long way off from where a lot of us want this football program to be (and the harsh reality is that we may never get there). The way to get there is to play quality teams somewhat close to home and develop and maintain rivalries.

eulesseagle:

It takes more then the coach to recruit. It is the program and the program's success. Otherwise, when the coach leaves, everything goes down the toilet. The coach helps boost the program and the program helps boost the coach.

Dickey has done a lot for this program. We are still a long way off from where a lot of us want this football program to be (and the harsh reality is that we may never get there). The way to get there is to play quality teams somewhat close to home and develop and maintain rivalries.

I think is some cases your right, however, that is not always the case. TU for instance had not had any success in years. They have terrible facilities (though they got new weight and training rooms when they built the Reynolds center). They get alot less support from the boosters than NT does. Yet Coach Kragthorpe has done a remakable job of recruiting, even competing with big 12 teams including OU for recruits. Since both my boys were recruited by TU I got a first-hand look at how he recruits. Its nothing but positive attitudes by Coach K and his assitants. And, unlike alot of coaching staffs, they don't use verble abusing of the players at practices and camps. I have been on alot of practice fields and coach K's is one of the few that preaches a christian like attitude on and off the field. And Hey, It must be working for him...recall our score against them last year