To those at the Green-White scrimmage

GreenFlag

Please only respond if you saw the scrimmage. With Meager out, who would YOU put on the field to start Phillips or Wilson? Phillips apparantly had the better stats but was that is never the full story. Were his stats padded by Mr. Quinn and Nwigwe? Again, who would you put on the field if the season started today?

How did the OL look? Better? Same? Young guys noticably better? New guys coming in with obvious greater talent?

Who stood out on the DL? IMHO our Sun Belt reign of terror started with a solid DL . Please tell me are MUCH improved.

My observations from last year suggested that we need to improve our play at DL, OL and then QB in that order to get back to Sun Belt dominance. Yeah I want to win OOC games too but we need to get back to at least SBC dominance first.

And finally, I am a believer that young guys with true talent make a splash immediately and their superior play on the field is obvious. Brandon Kennedy, Patrick Cobbs, Johnny Quinn, Scott Hall, Craig Jones, Nick Zuniga, Dylen Lineberry and Jonas Buckles all come immediately to mind. Do we have any RS Freshman or transfers that fit this description?

Guest JohnDenver

Let's be fair.

Woody is running a new offense.

Ieans has been here for years.

Woody has shown great promise (quoted by Dickey himself) this spring.

Ieans has shown us a big fat ZERO in this two (or three?) years in the same offense.

If Ieans looked decent -- which I didn't think he did in the second half -- then it is good for him, but it shouldn't be counted negative against Woody.

If anything it shows that maybe the coaches are correct in continue to get Ieans reps every EVERY spring with ZERO return on investment.

Guest JohnDenver

Do we have any RS Freshman or transfers that fit this description?

Evan Robertson can straight up FLY with the ball in his hands. He is very light and often got pulled down easily ... but he is hard to catch.

Edited by JohnDenver

I see Phillips on top............but Ieans over Woody............crazy. I would like to see stats on Ieans.

On Phillips AND Woody, I saw throw from both of them that would be picked off most times, yet somehow the corners misjudged the throws and it led to a large gain.

I see Phillips on top............but Ieans over Woody............crazy.  I would like to see stats on Ieans.

On Phillips AND Woody, I saw throw from both of them that would be picked off most times, yet somehow the corners misjudged the throws and it  led to a large gain.

I was merely assessing the game last night. Remember i said twice "Based on last nights game".

And it seemed that Ieans did do better.

QB:I would have to say (Emmitt will shoot me for this one) Phillips was the best out there tonight. Woody had some great throws, but also threw into double coverage a few times and tossed a picked at midfield. If not for two DB's dropping picks, Woody would have scored a hat-trick on INT's. Remember, he is new in this offense and has some serious wheels! Who knows what happens in the fall. My guess would be Phillips-1, Wilson-2, Ieans-3, Meager-4. I suspect Meager will be in the 3 spot by the fall, but we have some time to go yet before that argument starts.

RB:J-mo still does not look like himself, but had a nice run or two for first downs. We're seeing some amazing speed from Deavin Cox. He ran very well and seems to have the speed to break the long runs. Korona is still the man at fullback, but seeing Phillip Graves and Gilmore out there at FB was great.

WR: There is no way to say how impressive these guys played. Your top four really showed up in this game. Quinn is just Quinn... no need to rate greatness. But Muzzy and B-Jax had exceptional catches. Nwigwe showed that speed kills.. I'm happy with this group. didnt see much from Fitzgerald or Stickler.

OL: good and bad. Would have to say the pass blocking was better for most of our starters (on both teams), but still having trouble picking up blitzes? Adjani Banks and Jeremy Brown looked very good. Chad Rose appears to be the man at center. This is just spring ball, but Rose is really doing a good job.

DL: Cant say enough about Isaac Thomas, Blake Burruss, and Eddy Gilmore. The pressure these guys were getting really made QB's hurry. Looked like Gilmore was also getting reps at TE. Lots of players rotating in on the DL, and there was pressure pretty much all night.

LB: everyone looked pretty good, but Graves and Toby Nwigwe had the best hits in this game. I have to say colt Mahan looked like he is coming on also. Medoza and Holman also played pretty well.

DB: not sure what to say here? Safety Aaron Weathers had a pick, and played as well as he did during the season. Dominique Green looked really good at corner, and was playing with confidence. After that, not sure what we are going to do? Cotton had an interception, but it was an underthrown ball...and he was beat over the middle. Ciff Higgs struggled at Safety and was beat for a score. The other DB's also struggled. I did see some flashes from Brian Nelson, who also had a pick in this one. Kartay Agbottah seems to be making his way as he learns the system, and will be much improved after fall practices. Some concerns at corner to be honest...

Laugh of the night... Johnny Quinn lines up on Gary Obure right side. We could see the dollar-signs in Quinn's eyes before the ball was even snapped. JQ goes straight upfield, catches the ball, knocks Obure down, and jogs into the end zone. Obure gets up and just crosses his arms..

(in Obure's defense, he has been playing much more aggressive, and ANY DB would have issues coverring Quinn man-on-man)..but it sure was funny.

All in all the game was a lot of fun. Nice crowd too for a spring game..

GMG!!!

LB: everyone looked pretty good, but Graves and Toby Nwigwe had the best hits in this game.

Granted in the past he's missed an assignment once or twice but I've always liked how Graves plays with complete abandon. This is his year. What's up with DD running him at FB though?

Guest JohnDenver

I was merely assessing the game last night.  Remember i said twice "Based on last nights game".

And it seemed that Ieans did do better.

Jonathan Ieans completed four of his five pass attempts for 34 yards.

Woody had 154(ish) yards.

From what I say, the white OL was terrible. It gave no time and made the QBs have to run.

I'll say the entire DL shined on both sides. Even if white's OL wasn't as strong, I still saw how fast the green DL attacked, and with quite a bit of ferocity. The white DL was no slouch either, they put up a good fight, repeatedly getting at Phillips and Ieans (when he switched sides) despite the OL's good blocking.

DB's still kind of shaky, especially against guys with the skill/ability of Quinn and Jackson. I liked seeing those picks and swat-aways, and it made think of the days when we had Craig Jones in #22 back there, waiting to nail someone and with Jonas Buckles, looking for someone to plant.

Can I say I feel a lot better about this team than last years? And this is solely based on performance during each respective spring game.

Great comments all around.

Isaac Thomas, Tobe Nwigwe, and Graves stood out on Defense. Graves had a killer sack. Thomas shows some Booger-like flashes, like the play when he lost his helmet. Seems like Holman made a big hit too.

I'm not smart enough to comment on the OL, at least not after one game. But Thomas might have been making the white OL look bad.

I was surprised that Quinn and Joel Nwigwe were stacked on one team, so I looked for that to favor Phillips. I don't think it did though. In general his attempts were more on-target than Woody's, and I would guess 10 yards longer on average.

Quinn and Nwigwe had a good endzone celebration.

I wasn't focusing much on the DBs, but overall it seemed like they were falling down a lot. Brandon Jackson wasted one of them on a too-high pass from Woody. Looked like he jumped 3 feet over the guy's head. And the play when Quinn leveled Oubre was pretty funny.

Based on last nights game... I would put Phillips as starter and Ieans as back up.  I know that might shocksome... but, wilson didn't impress me much compared to Ieans based on last night. Just my opinion of that.

Travis, your assessment is the same as mine. Based on last night's scrimmage and watching it from 300+ miles away on a little bitty screen off the internet feed, I thought Ians had a fine night. Wilson is fast, and maybe the white team line was not effective, but he did not live up to my expectations.

*Silver Eagle, please don't hate me. huh.gif

Jonathan Ieans completed four of his five pass attempts for 34 yards.

Woody had 154(ish) yards.

From what I say, the white OL was terrible. It gave no time and made the QBs have to run.

The white OL did give Phillips time to complete several long passes toward the end of the game.