DIA school with openings

NTEagle08

If your curious as to what the options would be for a 12 game for the 2006 season against DIA teams here is the list:

Syracuse

Indiana

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Kansas

Houston

SMU

UTEP

BYU

Colorado State

TCU

Utah

Wyoming

Florida Atlantic

Louisiana-Monroe

North Texas

Hawai'i

New Mexico State

Temple

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2006/article...n_breakdown.htm

To chime in, I'd like to see us play

1. UTEP (nice rivalry game to build up and get exposure in NM and Arizona for HS players for recruiting)

2. TCU (always nice to have a good game in your own backyard)

3. Wisconsin (if you aspire to be one of the big boys, you might as well play one of them)

Another nickle in the slot.

To chime in, I'd like to see us play

1. UTEP (nice rivalry game to build up and get exposure in NM and Arizona for HS players for recruiting)

2. TCU (always nice to have a good game in your own backyard)

3. Wisconsin (if you aspire to be one of the big boys, you might as well play one of them)

Another nickle in the slot.

Why not do what the big programs do and schedule a D1-AA team we could beat up on to get the team in a winning mode. For instance, we could play Northern Colorado at home. There are 2 good reasons to play them...1--a possible big victory and 2 I could see Brent play and Charley without driving to Greeley Colorado laugh.gif

Oviously when looking for the 12th game, you have to factor in whether the team has a same open date as us. Right now our open dates are 9/23 and 10/21. I would like us to schedule Houston, but already have a game commited for 9/23 and I don't think we would want to play 2 consecutive OOC games with Louisiana Tech coming on 10/28. So it would have to be a team with a 9/23 open date right now.

A good website with preliminary schedules: http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Sked2006.htm

Edited by NTEagle08

If possible, we should schedule TCU. Although they've had a pretty good team the past few years, we do have the opportunity to upset them. In addition, it's a great local rivalry, and if we beat them and SMU, we could claim to be the regional champs. Something interesting for the newspapers at least.

Also, since TCU is playing well right now, their fans are more likely to travel for the game (especially since they don't have to travel very far.) If we have to go there, it's still a close game for us, and although we don't get as much revenue, we could maybe sign a home and home with them that would allow us to really make some money the next year. I don't really see any downsides to signing with TCU.

If possible, we should schedule TCU. Although they've had a pretty good team the past few years, we do have the opportunity to upset them. In addition, it's a great local rivalry, and if we beat them and SMU, we could claim to be the regional champs. Something interesting for the newspapers at least.

Also, since TCU is playing well right now, their fans are more likely to travel for the game (especially since they don't have to travel very far.) If we have to go there, it's still a close game for us, and although we don't get as much revenue, we could maybe sign a home and home with them that would allow us to really make some money the next year. I don't really see any downsides to signing with TCU.

TCU's team next year will be about on the same level as they were in 2005 when they went 11-1. So I really couldn't see us beating them or even keeping it close. If I remember correctly the last series we had with them, the attendences weren't as expected on either side so I probably wouldn't see TCU jumping all over this.

TCU's team next year will be about on the same level as they were in 2005 when they went 11-1. So I really couldn't see us beating them or even keeping it close. If I remember correctly the last series we had with them, the attendences weren't as expected on either side so I probably wouldn't see TCU jumping all over this.

Yeah a great game back in 2002 when we had a pretty decent squad vs their somewhat mediocre team but a pretty lousy showing attendance wise. I would love to create a semi-annual rivalry though considering the distance between the two schools.

When we played them here last the attendance was well above 20,000. And the time before that when we played them at their place it was their highest attended game. Attendance would do just fine between us two if we played.

and although we don't get as much revenue, we could maybe sign a home and home with them that would allow us to really make some money the next year. I don't really see any downsides to signing with TCU.

Even at 25,000 we would only make about $200,000 or avg $100,000 per year this program needs the money so be looking at the $500,000 schools

Guest GrayEagleOne

I did a little digging on this and made a horrible discovery. The home game with Louisiana Tech is not showing on either schedule. Worse than that, LaTech lists four OOC games and they play eight conference games.

We have open dates on 9/23 and 10/14. Maybe we can add 10/28 to that; I thought that was the date of the LaTech game. The 10/14 date will be during conference time for most, or all of those with less than 12 games. So 9/23 is the date we need without shuffling games.

Five of the teams, Syracuse, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Kansas have neither open. Utah already has four OOC games although 9/23 is open for them. The 10/14 only date would eliminate Houston, UTEP and a couple of others that I found: Marshall and New Mexico.

That would leave the following available on 9/23:

Brigham Young

Colorado State

Hawaii

New Mexico State

Northern Illinois

TCU

Temple

Western Michigan

Wyoming

None are BCS schools with big guarantees. BYU would likely have the biggest payout since they draw the largest crowds by far. TCU would be my personal favorite since it's so close. I've always enjoyed playing New Mexico State and that would be a great choice also.

CAN ANYONE FIND OUT ABOUT THE LOUISIANA TECH GAME?

I did a little digging on this and made a horrible discovery.  The home game with Louisiana Tech is not showing on either schedule.  Worse than that, LaTech lists four OOC games and they play eight conference games.

No need to panic, yet.

Louisiana Tech is able to play a 13 game schedule because there is a game at Hawaii. The NCAA allows all conference mates of Hawaii to schedule an extra game in season in which they travel to Hawaii to help offset travel costs.

La Tech is scheduled to play 5 home games and 8 road games, including a trip to North Texas.

Now, Tech may be trying to delay the trip to North Texas for a season or two in order to schedule another home game for 2006.