DIA school with openings

NTEagle08

Guest GrayEagleOne

No need to panic, yet.

Louisiana Tech is able to play a 13 game schedule because there is a game at Hawaii. The NCAA allows all conference mates of Hawaii to schedule an extra game in season in which they travel to Hawaii to help offset travel costs.

La Tech is scheduled to play 5 home games and 8 road games, including a trip to North Texas.

Now, Tech may be trying to delay the trip to North Texas for a season or two in order to schedule another home game for 2006.

They did that, except that it's a road game. They scheduled a trip to California for 10/28. They still have open dates, however, but that's when we play SMU and Tulsa. How in the hell did we let them do that?

They did that, except that it's a road game.  They scheduled a trip to California for 10/28.  They still have open dates, however, but that's when we play SMU and Tulsa.  How in the hell did we let them do that?

Jack, what was it ex NT coach Bill Blakely used to say.........was it something to the effect of: "I've seen everything except childbirth?":)

Lets just let all this at UNT bottom out (if it hasn't already as we look at our varsity coaches W/L records across the board in recent years), then lets emulate schools like, uh, (to quote another poster's chosen word on Dennis Errickson thread), ie, "freakin"................Idaho................... go out get some proven commdoties, get some people who really want to be at UNT and show it by their actions (who also on a daily basis cease from doctoring up their resumes' and who (while at UNT) want to set higher goals than what we seem to have had of late and then find those who have the talent/abilities to understand the sports market our school resides, do something about that and then (in general) just take this program upward.

And to the poster who started another thread suggesting we keep hiring from within the UNT athletic department, does it always make sense to hire those who might just keep on persevering what they've been part of for awhile as it is, or, being part of the kind of most unique athletic administration (at an NCAA D1-A level) that we've now had for the last decade plus pocket change)?

This too shall all pass?sad.gif Can't happen soon enough for many who are able to look past their noses to see what we are really getting in Denton and for a growing army of those who are a bit fed up with all the (apparent) inter-departmental dissension and the general non-direction of Mean Green athletics.

So is it really as some have said, ie, if you are standing still at an NCAA D1-A level, then that usually means you are in retreat mode or going backwards? Looking at recent trends, it does seem to show we are hardly moving forward; in fact, are we throwing some decent salaries at those who probably need to be elsewhere at another NCAA leve or locale, and then such salaries that could be increased in Denton so UNT can finally go out and copy schools like, uh..............Idaho, for the higher profile hire? Do we want to the "9" or "17" year approach or plan of reaching .500 or do we of UNT want personell who can take us to Top 25 levels in only 2 years (like Mike Price of UTEP did)?

Is all this so simple that NT leaders are stumbling all over themselves over the simplicity? Do they really know what most of their constituency sorta' wants and for damn sure does not want? Are we making all this much too difficult in Mean Green Country? In fact, just what seems to he the hold-up for them to give all of us what they themselves should also be wanting to happen in MG Country ?sad.gif

Jim, let me take this opportunity to suggest something regarding your disillusionment with North Texas athletics, as well as the athletic administration.....and maybe the school administration as well.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) makes the decision to withdraw, both physically (not coming to games) and financially from this program, then the people that you blame have won.

Now, I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with your list of people with whom you have become disillusioned. But assuming that they are the reason for most of the problems at North Texas, why let them off the hook by withdrawing?

I was never more proud of you than when I heard about your "nose to nose" debate with a certain Athletic Dept administrator (over the kids corner debacle) right before the last TCU game in Fort Worth. THAT is how to really get your message across.

If you're not happy with how things are going, then my attitude is "show up and make their life miserable".

It's the American way! wink.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

No need to panic, yet.

Louisiana Tech is able to play a 13 game schedule because there is a game at Hawaii. The NCAA allows all conference mates of Hawaii to schedule an extra game in season in which they travel to Hawaii to help offset travel costs.

La Tech is scheduled to play 5 home games and 8 road games, including a trip to North Texas.

Now, Tech may be trying to delay the trip to North Texas for a season or two in order to schedule another home game for 2006.

Actually, Adler, the NCAA allows ANYONE who schedules an away game at Hawaii to have an additional game on their schedule. I remember not too long ago when Alabama was still on probation and not able to go to any post season championships or bowl games they decided to schedule a season finale at Hawaii and let that be their bowl game/vacation. It was one of those 12-game seasons. I want to say it was 2002 because we played at Bama and I distinctly remember us talking about their team still being on probation. I believe they also lost to Oklahoma a week or so afterwards. They finished either 10-3 or 11-2.

So in theory, UNT COULD schedule a road game at Hawaii somewhere on the slate even at the end of the season and still be able to schedule someone else and also play a 13-game schedule.

Edited by BlueRaiderPride

Guest GrayEagleOne

Jim, let me take this opportunity to suggest something regarding your disillusionment with North Texas athletics, as well as the athletic administration.....and maybe the school administration as well.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) makes the decision to withdraw, both physically (not coming to games) and financially from this program, then the people that you blame have won.

Now, I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with your list of people with whom you have become disillusioned. But assuming that they are the reason for most of the problems at North Texas, why let them off the hook by withdrawing?

I was never more proud of you than when I heard about your "nose to nose" debate with a certain Athletic Dept administrator (over the kids corner debacle) right before the last TCU game in Fort Worth. THAT is how to really get your message across.

If you're not happy with how things are going, then my attitude is "show up and make their life miserable".

Bill, you and I agree on things pertaining to North Texas about 99% of the time (damn, that's a scary thought) but I'm not sure but what this is that one time in a hundred that I don't.

When something is wrong, we should, of course, convey our disagreement and disillusionment with the faults as we see them and disappointment in the direction of the program, to the proper authority. Having done that, and with the groundswell for change that is rising not being answered, the next place to hit them is in the pocketbook.

Now that's harsh treatment when you've been as close to the program as we've been for so long but I don't rule it out as eventually being necessary. I am willing to wait one more year to give the football coaches a chance to right the ship and if that fails, I'll sit on the sidelines and wait also. I think that a lack of attendance and financial support may speak louder than our voices.

I've often thought about the best way to get the message to the coaches and administration that I am an unhappy camper. I've thought about buying season tickets and if the performance stinks, get up and walk out at the half like I would a bad play. Johnny McDowell suggested taking the money for Mean Green Club and season tickets and put it in the bank; to be released when the situation has changed satisfactorally. At least that would be preferable to total withdrawal because we need to retain all of the support, both financially and in attendance, that we can.

Right now, my beef is with the football program, not with the administration. That includes the AD, president, chancellor, or regents. But I have looked askance at our chancellor, basketball coaches and am wondering about the AD, in light of letting La Tech off of the hook.

Maybe Jim knows something that I don't about our administrators that would cause him to withdraw his support. Anyway, I'm giving it another year.

Bill, you and I agree on things pertaining to North Texas about 99% of the time (damn, that's a scary thought) but I'm not sure but what this is that one time in a hundred that I don't.

When something is wrong, we should, of course, convey our disagreement and disillusionment with the faults as we see them and disappointment in the direction of the program, to the proper authority.  Having done that, and with the groundswell for change that is rising not being answered, the next place to hit them is in the pocketbook.

Now that's harsh treatment when you've been as close to the program as we've been for so long but I don't rule it out as eventually being necessary.  I am willing to wait one more year to give the football coaches a chance to right the ship and if that fails, I'll sit on the sidelines and wait also.  I think that a lack of attendance and financial support may speak louder than our voices.

I've often thought about the best way to get the message to the coaches and administration that I am an unhappy camper.  I've thought about buying season tickets and if the performance stinks, get up and walk out at the half like I would a bad play.  Johnny McDowell suggested taking the money for Mean Green Club and season tickets and put it in the bank; to be released when the situation has changed satisfactorally.  At least that would be preferable to total withdrawal because we need to retain all of the support, both financially and in attendance, that we can. 

Right now, my beef is with the football program, not with the administration.  That includes the AD, president, chancellor, or regents.  But I have looked askance at our chancellor, basketball coaches and am wondering about the AD, in light of letting La Tech off of the hook.  

Maybe Jim knows something that I don't about our administrators that would cause him to withdraw his support.  Anyway, I'm giving it another year.

Jack, considering you usual positive view on things, I find this (and an earlier post) somewhat distressing.......and so should anyone else who cares about this program. I've just seen North Texas live with, and wear, the apathy badge so long that I hate to see anything that even looks like it.

If someone is seriously thinking of withdrawing their physical presence and financial support, then maybe an e-mail campaign would be an alternative. After every game, send an e-mail to the AD, BOR, and "cc" the DRC, DMN, and FWST beat writers. It can basically say that you've (we've) made the decision after many long years as a fan/alumni to not attend North Texas games any longer because.......(list the reasons here). Mention how much you usually spend as a MGC member and how much you usually spend on season tickets. You can finish up by saying that you will be encouraging others to follow your example.

Someone will get pretty nervous about this, especially if they know that the beat writers will regulary get the e-mail......and one of them might decide to do an "expose".

My main concern lately has been the lack of communication from the athletic dept. We need another "quarterly meeting" so that people can ask hard questions of the AD and Head coach. Instead of those "soft-ball" questions that are usually pitched by (and I have the greatest respect for him otherwise) George Dunham.

Edited by SilverEagle

The American Way, huh, Bill?!?!? LOL! I guess we have to maintain our humor now don't we?smile.gif

Bill, I can disagree and even disagree vehemently with any NT Ex and still respect that alum and do so because they are part of the NT community. I have pissed off a few people on this forum and know I have. Hey, even my late, sainted dear mother used to tell me: "Jimmy, you could make the Pope cuss on Easter Sunday!" AND SHE WAS RIGHT, OF COURSE! smile.gif I would never dispute anything that lady would ever say.sad.gif She is very much missed among our clan.

I know you and Jack, i,e "Gray Eagle One" (who for about 4 decades I've known him, his wife and many of you about as long) are the same kind of alums who can "get over it" with disagreements when the time comes to do so.

I admire the 2 of you and many others on this forum who have received emails from yours truly expressing my personal admiration for their loyalty to UNT (even if we disagree on things). Even if we just happen to agree to disagree at times, that still doesn't mean we can't all sit at the same family dinner table when the day is done. If we don't give a damn, we simply stop posting and that is not what UNT needs to happen with any of its alums as there (still) just aren't enough of us to go around who do give a damn abour our school. Yet, as Gray Eagle One said, we have to do what we have to do to make each of our feelings known with all this. Those will vary among our most diverse group.

That "list" of people you refer to that I deferred to, Bill, are all IMHO playing some kind of role in this "B" movie we presently have playing at an NT campus athletic venue near you in what is the most media covered part of campus life that we have at the University of North Texas.

Not even the U of NorTex College of Music's internationally famous, multi-Grammy Award nominated One O'Clock Jazz (lab) Band can even come close to receiving (on a regular basis) what NT varsity sports receives much of the academic year whether that be on TV, radio or the DFW areas major newspapers at the NCAA D1-A level--and that whether this program is winning or losing. Winning around these parts, though, always seems to take it all to the next level, media-wise, I do think we'd all agree. Losing and showing no improvement in context with the other 117 schools in NCAA D1-A, can very quickly take all this to the depths of utter despair and frustration (and with that I think we'd all agree).

I do think fair is fair, though, inasmuch as any NT employee deseves an ample amount of time to prove (or disprove) themselves and after such a time if the trends they have set in motion with their leadership that would lead to our eventual higher profile success versus the mainstream of NCAA D1-A is showing no noticeable trends upward; if our attendance (which for the life of us all we just cannot seem to break the 15K +/- per game average in Denton; and even with that 15K number which used to be the accepted bare minimum to remain at the NCAA D1-A level AND..................anyway, that 15K per home game average is still a pretty good barometer of our success (or lack thereof) we have in MG Country year-in-and-year-out. For some reason, we are not gaining the imaginations of the causual or borderline MG fan, which are the ones we have to have to fill our venues in Denton. So what is being done to change all that many of us are now asking? We are not getting any answers to that question, either.

As Harry "Give Em' Hell" Truman coined, "the buck stops here" (at his then White House desk) and so it is that someone at the top even at UNT has to eventually start answering some key questions or explaining their modus operendi in all this especially if things don't seem to be going according to Hoyle or showing progress as in context with the rest of NCAA D1-A. ****** At some point & very soon, we just have to stop using the Sun Belt Conference as our bell cow, because doing that hardly made us representable to CUSA as for them wanting us over Marshall, SMU, Rice, UTEP and even TCU in the past, now did it?sad.gif At UNT, we have to do much better than the regional aforementioned schools or we will just merely disappear into Texas D1-A inter-collegiate oblivion and most of our NT Exes/MG fans are astute enough to know that. BUT THE QUESTOIN STILL REMAINS FOR NT LEADERSHIP: Just what are we doing to rise above most of the aforementioned which will help us get our of our present state of mediocrity (as compared to most of that group)?

No one will change the fact that UNT is still a state-assisted university that has us, ie, the Texas taxpayers as an integral part of its day to day operations, so NT leaders cannot take on the same air or attitude that (perhaps) some Texas private university leadership have such a choice as far as how they communicate with their own private school constituencies. If ours have an elitist attitude, they cannot keep such an attitude for long as Texans will eventually start raising all kind of holy hell. Yet even at some given time, they will have to ante up some explanations as to why we seem to be content with the perseverance of our school's overall poor athletic performance outside the Sun Belt Conference.

So just what are our leaders answers as to why NT athletics varsity teams have continually stayed (even in winning seasons) near the bottom quadrant of an NCAA D1-A athletic existence? We are all ears... and many of our growing army just feel they need to just wake up, smell the coffee/face the music check out their NT sports media guides so they can see the same things many more of us are seeing in plain black and white print. It is unsettling as to what some of the things an NT Ex can read in those media guides, especially the long endless chain of hirings that did not pan out in Mean Green Country.

NO TEXAS BRAGGING FROM THESE QUARTERS: Many stand amazed at some of the arrogance of a hardy handful of NT employees and even toward their very customer base. Hey, if you really have it going on, filling our stadiums, fillling the banks accounts with donations, raising much needed "new football stadium" monies, actually beating "somebody" outside the SBC/Bottom 10 then................. just maybe an NT athletic dept. employee has something to stand on to show such an attitude. Still, most of us would like to think even if our employees were setting the woods on fire in Denton, that some of those comfortable paid state employees might still want to exhibit some semblance of humility and common decency. In fact, don't most Texans expect that; and don'[t we all sort of get that with most all our "raisings" down here in the Lone Star State?

PEOPLE.........PEOPLE WHO NEED PEOPLE, NICE PEOPLE, SHORT PEOPLE, JEEZ! WHO CARES? You know, I think if we are keeping those on the NT payroll because they are just merely "nice" people, then we are in worse shape at UNT than previosly thought.

I would think the "nice people" tag would be an expected criteria of being hired from the beginning at any Texas-based university.

PLAYER'S COACH? HUH!?!?!? smile.gif And while on this "nice" subject, whats all this "player's coach" business? That is also an amazing phenomena that takes place at some D1-A schools. FWIW, if a coach is one of 117 NCAA D1-A coaches, wouldn't most assume that if they are being successful and advancing their programs as expectted, that most likely they are all a, uh, "player's coach?" LOL! (Sorry, that concept always gets me gigglin' Norm Hitzghes-style).

Yet when we at UNT start getting "nice.............but also "productive" people on our payroll, then these kinds of threads and posts will cease almost immediately and then we will start posting more things such as: "Why didn't we kick those Texas A & M Aggies' arses with a bit more intensity last Game Day?!?!?!? smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

Update on the 10 possible 1-A opponents for our 11th game....

Two can be eliminated because they already have 12 games; 9/23 is just an open date:

Colorado State

Western Michigan

Four already have two or more away games and need a home game:

Akron

Brigham Young

Northern Illinois

TCU

Temple only has about seven games scheduled; only two of those are home games.

That leaves these three who already have two home games of their four OOC:

Hawaii

New Mexico State

Wyoming

Hawaii may require a guarantee too large for our budget. New Mexico State and Wyoming should both be doable. I'm sure that most would prefer NMSU because they are an old rival but Wyoming would be good too. The two best other bets would be Brigham Young and TCU. If not them, I guess that we try to find a 1-AA with an open date.