Projected Starters

BIG DAWG

DE - Jeremiah Cahpman: Dependable/Worker

DE - Willie Ransom - Definatley got better

DT - Sky Pruitt: Rotation guy in my opinion

DT - ??? - BIG hole; is the answer currently on the roster? Have to say no.

OLB - Brandon Monroe: I really like the way he plays-personal opinion

MLB - Derek Mendoza: Capable back-up in my opnion

OLB - Maurice Holman: reminds me a little of Hurd (big shoes I know)

CB - RS Freshman: Should be fast, but scares me

CB - RS Freshman: See above

SS - Steve Warren: Got much better as year went on; I think he is in a tough battle with Ray Loren of CCJC

FS - Aaron Weathers - LOVE this guy; cannot wait to see him for 2 more years

Comments/opinions???

I forgot my eval - B+ heading into season, I think they could be really good on this side of the ball as the young corners get experience...or we could be in for a rough season if the young corners don't develop quickly enough.

I don't htink any of the projected RS Fresh corners have ever played corner, I think they are all converted QB's.

Dominique Green (finally) replaced "Leon" Covington after he got burned for the umpteenth time in the ASU game and did a decent job at CB. Because of the fact that he "HAD" to come in and try and shore up a disaster that was occuring at his position, his redshirt was unfortunately burned. Though still fairly raw, he will start as one of our most talented CB's this next season, as a sophomore.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Guest GrayEagleOne

Gilmore has the size and the potential and I hope that he can step up next year. Ransom had a rough start and I hope that he can get it together. One of them has to come through or this will be a problem all year. Pruitt has size but he still gets moved or influenced a lot. He doesn't seem to have much speed so even when he does get through the runner has often passed him. Right now, I'd guess the other defensive tackle is Montey Stevenson. He's good but is mostly an overgrown linebacker or maybe defensive end. He and Miller are both too light for tackle; maybe they're adding a lot of weight in the off-season.

Just a note on the linebackers. Don't forget two-year starter Shawn Early.

Weathers was easily the best defensive back that we had last year. We have some really fast, albeit inexperienced corners. Most did play quarterback their senior year but only because they were the best athletes on the team. I believe that several of the speedsters had defensive backfield experience as underclassmen. I think that Washington, Bush, Stubblefield and Chatmon all have a ton of potential.

Has Chase Pistole disappeared from the DL rotation?

I'm also curious if Issac Thomas ever got his "condition" stabalized enough to try and continue his career.

How about Micah West? Is he still hanging around somewhere?

I'll just piggyback your questions with a couple more. Will Alan Harrison and TJ Raymond make it back?

DE - Jeremiah Cahpman: Dependable/Worker

DE - Willie Ransom - Definatley got better

DT - Sky Pruitt: Rotation guy in my opinion

DT - ??? - BIG hole; is the answer currently on the roster?  Have to say no.

OLB - Brandon Monroe: I really like the way he plays-personal opinion

MLB - Derek Mendoza: Capable back-up in my opnion

OLB - Maurice Holman: reminds me a little of Hurd (big shoes I know)

CB - RS Freshman: Should be fast, but scares me

CB - RS Freshman: See above

SS - Steve Warren: Got much better as year went on; I think he is in a tough battle with Ray Loren of CCJC

FS - Aaron Weathers - LOVE this guy;  cannot wait to see him for 2 more years

Comments/opinions???

It seems that sometime during the season Quinn ws quoted as saying that Antione Bush the RS freshman from Tyler was the best CB on the team.

Strong DE - This could be interesting. I have heard that they might try putting Pistole here and move Jeremiah over to DT. Pistole's weight was a real problem last year as he got as low as 230. He was only a sophomore so he still has some time to shine at UNT. If that fails look for steady Chapman to fill the starting role. Keep in mind, Chapman was never healthy last year, he had a bad ankle that required major ankle surgery in the offseason and he probably won't be available in the Spring as neither will Sky Pruitt. We need more proven depth here. When Chapman came out this position really was a problem for us. Blake Burriss has one year left to get to the potential that he has shown flashes of. He broke his arm last year and needs to recover from that and stay healthy this year.

DT - This is the biggest hole on the team. Sky Pruitt oculd be better, remember he played all of last year with a pretty bad shoulder which he had surgery on in the offseason. He's not a star but he could be steady if healthy. Montey Stevenson had his moments in 2005 but he is just a little too small to be an every down guy. I would like to see Montey come in passing situations because he can run. Jeramiah Chapman could also be in the mix. I think they will try to land a JUCO to help and hope that Jonathan Stewart from Arlington develops. I haven't been able to clarify if Robert Peachy is slated to play on the defensive line or on the o-line but my guess is he will be an offensive lineman.

NT - Right now, soph Joe Miller is the returning guy and they want him to put on another 15-20 pounds which he has the frame to do. Miller was a high school pitcher and never lifted weights so he has some potential if he dedicates himself in the weight room. Ike Thomas just never was healthy last year. He went from being the Scout MVP on defense as a freshman to getting deathly ill and just never got back on track. He also has potential and will be only a sophomore.

Weakside DE - I know this sounds like a broken record but Willie Ransom was never truly healthy last year either. I think he could have a strong 2006 if he can stay healthy. 6-5 Gilmore got a lot of playing time and really could be a force in 2006 if he gets his upper body strength where it needs to be. Davis Collins is another possibility here. Ty Rexrode has never really made the adjustment after playing QB and RB in high school but there is still some hope he will get better.

Linebackers - I think Nwigwe has a good chance to get the middle linebacker spot. He is very physical and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the scout team defensive POY award. Of course Mendoza will be back and has proven that hge can play at this level although his speed is a liability against passing teams. At the strong side, I believe Maurice Holman is a lock. He is probably our best linebacker at this time and should have a strong junior season. He should be pushed some by Ryan Davenport who showed some good things last year as a freshman. On the weakside, Shawn Early and Phillip Graves will be battling it out. Early is a beast and added a lot of size in the offseason. If he can stay healthy it will be huge for the defense. Colt Mahan will also vie for time there. Brandon Monroe may have the most raw talent on the team but never was healthy in 2005. He could be a starter at the middle spot or the strong side if he gets it together.

Safties - Junior Aaron Weathers is a lock at the strong safety spot but we need insurance behind him. I think they will keep bring Steve Warren along and he will be a fairly good player at the FS. Still we need a big hitter here. They have a youth movement as both Desmond Chatman and Kartey Agbottah (both 6-2 and can run) have size, talent and ability. I think they may look at Korey Washington at FS which could be interesting as well with his speed. I think they have some players as Weathers is something else but need either to develop or find a BIG hitter that will keep defenses more honest.

Corners - As weird as this sounds, I think we will be better off at corner than we were last year. Last years corners were extremely talented but foolish and I think we underestimated how big a learning curve Jamel had at the position. TJ was just out of control and at times did not run the covers his coaches told him to run. I think Dominique Green is a talent and he showed me some good things last year. The other two that I expect to get a lot of time are Antoine Bush who may be the best cover guy on the team and Deavin Cox from Bishop Lynch. The other player that could impact things is Coffeyville's Roy Loren who has corner speed and could bring some experience to the group.

My early projections?

SDE - Jeramiah Chapman

DT - Sky Pruitt

NT - Joe Miller

WDE - Willie Ransom

SLB - Maurice Holman

MLB - Tobe Nwigwe

WLB - Shawn Early

SS - Aaron Weathers

FS - Kartey Agbottah

CB - Antoine Bush

CB - Dominique Green

I know this sounds like a broken record but [name] was never truly healthy last year either.  I think he could have a strong 2006 if he can stay healthy.

What is going on here? I know it's football and football is a physical game, but how can so many players in one platoon have so many injuries? Does it have something to do with being outweighed every week? Or is it just bad luck?

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm not understanding this either. We have this great new weight room for the first time and we get more injuries than I can remember.

The most common cause of injury is being out of shape. Second is probably lack of intensity. Third IMO would be playing too long which would cause fatigue even if in good shape. Then it drops down to size mismatch and finally just bad luck.

I thinik that the strength and conditioning coaches should work with the position coaches so that each coach knows exactly the physical condition of their players. That would mean that those in marginal shape would get less playing time. One solution to reducing injury would be to rotate players more often. Maybe this scenario is being done in some cases. But, it has been my observation that we usually have fewer lettermen than the vast majority of 1-A teams. So it seems that some are playing their starters until they drop. Most of this appears to happen on both lines. The skill positions get fresh legs more often.

I understand the need to "play hurt" at times but the more serious injuries should be rested and not be an excuse for poor performance.

Cooley - thanks for reminding me. I totally forgot about Collins. I am pretty sure that I hear he is around 6-4, 280? He is big and they think he might be the answer at defensive tackle. They like him alot. for those that aren't familiar, Seneca Collins originally signed with Tulsa as a basketball player out of Duncanville high school. He transferred to UNT football last year but had to sit out a year due to I-A transfer rules. I think he will have only 1-2 years of eligibility. From what I can tell he was a pretty good basketball player for Tulsa, a starter, but got disenchanted with the new coaching staff and came to Denton. I ran into him at the Huricane Katrina Fundraiser in Denton prior to the season last year. I pretty much know most of the players but didn't recognize him. He stood out, very tall and impressive build. I shook his hand and he seemed like a very nice guy. Everyone should keep an eye out for him in Spring ball.

Grey Eagle, sometimes injuries just happen. Last year we had a lot of nagging ones. Pruitt shouldn't have been playing but he's a tough kid and we really didn't have much else. Chapman was never himself because of the ankle but like Pruitt he was tough and we didn't have much else. Ditto Ransom. Ike Thomas had a serious form of heatstroke like the first couple days of two-a-days. Shawn Early had a blown out knee that hadn't completely healed.

Injuries will happen which is why you have to develop the depth to withstand. I found it interesting during the national championship game the announcers were commenting on how Texas was really thin at dend. You ask yourself, how in hades can Texas be thin anywhere but over the course of a season it can happen.

Cooley - thanks for reminding me.  I totally forgot about Collins.  I am pretty sure that I hear he is around 6-4, 280?  He is big and they think he might be the answer at defensive tackle.  They like him alot.  for those that aren't familiar, Seneca Collins originally signed with Tulsa as a basketball player out of Duncanville high school.  He transferred to UNT football last year but had to sit out a year due to I-A transfer rules.  I think he will have only 1-2 years of eligibility.  From what I can tell he was a pretty good basketball player for Tulsa, a starter, but got disenchanted with the new coaching staff and came to Denton.  I ran into him at the Huricane Katrina Fundraiser in Denton prior to the season last year.  I pretty much know most of the players but didn't recognize him.  He stood out, very tall and impressive build.  I shook his hand and he seemed like a very nice guy.  Everyone should keep an eye out for him in Spring ball.

So we're talking about a guy that went to Tulsa to play basketball, and now we are talking about him playing DT?. When was the last time he played football? If you tell me HS, then I am not all that excited. If he hasn't played FB since HS, then he might be playing to his full potential by sometime in the 07 season.

So we're talking about a guy that went to Tulsa to play basketball, and now we are talking about him playing DT?. When was the last time he played football? If you tell me HS, then I am not all that excited. If he hasn't played FB since HS, then he might be playing to his full potential by sometime in the 07 season.

Well, I have to do an addendum and take back some of what I said. I had a conversation this morning with a young man who was a walk-on OL. I asked him about Seneca Collins and he immediately became animated in his conversation about him. My source said that he worked out against Seneca and was very impressed with his athletic ability, as well as his potential as a D-Lineman. My source says that Seneca has great "hand work" and can keep the O-lineman away from him while he is using his speed to get by him.

So, Seneca Collins looks like a very good prospect. And since Sky Pruitt will be letting his shoulder heal this spring, Seneca should get a lot of reps out there.

Another reason that I'm looking forward to spring practice.

Edited by SilverEagle