O.K. North Texas Athletic Department

ADLER

I would feel confident in stating that there are no promotions for the remainder of the year.

I think that we'll probably see some major promotions this semester to get those attendance numbers raised.

It's difficult to promote the basketball games while it's still football season, and it's also hard to do any special promotions during the semester break when the students are gone. (we likely didn't see too much this past year because the athletic department staff was so busy preparing for the SBC tournament)

Our current Athletic Director has always shown a willingness to be receptive to promotional ideas from the fans. He may not always agree as to how worthwhile or cost effective suggested promotions may be, but he will always listen and consider the possible options. This has not always been the case with our former ADs at North Texas.

I hope you are right Adler, and things are done this semester.

Along the idea of the dollar hot dogs, something that was done at my first basketball season on campus and not done since was 70's night. The dancers dressed 70's, 70's music was played, even Chris Davis had the old school afro.

The best part by far was the 70's prices at the concession stand. Push that aspect of 70's night and make it a fun game at the Super Pit that people will remember. (I remember this promotion in an otherwise very forgettable season, so that says something.)

I was not comparing this game and the Tulsa game from a competitive standpoint, but from the point of view that there was a better than normal crowd and the teams performed below expectations. This could hurt attendance in the long run.

On Saturday, January 28, Sun Belt Western Division rival South Alabama comes to Denton. South Alabama is a favorite to possibly win the division. It is also the last weekend before National Signing Day when the North Texas football team will be hosting football recruits at the game.

MAKE A STATEMENT!

SELL OUT THE SUPER PIT!

Get people there and make them want to keep coming to more games in the future.

As a token of appreciation, mail reserved North Texas Basketball Tickets for that game to every person that has purchased season tickets for North Texas football. Give them the best seats possible in hopes that they will desire to buy basketball season tickets in future seasons. Include in the mailout an invitation for each of those people to participate in the Green Room activities, or better yet, move the 'Green Room' to a big tent outside at concourse level where even more people can get involved. We have got to let people know what they are missing.

Promote the game to student organizations; dorms, Greek organizations etc. Get in contact with Fraternity/Sorority officers NOW to make sure that this gets added to their activities schedules before something else gets scheduled that night.

Include Spirit Trophys and/or cash prizes for spirit displayed and shooting contests. Complete the cash contests at the end of the game to insure that the groups remain until game's end.

If possible, bring the entire Green Brigade to the game, not just the Pep Band. The Pit rocks like thunder when the entire Brigade, including the Drum Line is playing in there.

Bring in for recognition all the athletes that had exceptional grades in the Fall semester. It looks good to recruits when they see other athletes are succeeding, and it shows the fans that our athletes are working hard in the classroom.

Make sure there is a full contingent of Cheerleaders and Songleaders for the game and that they will be supplied with 10X as many give-away tee shirts than at usual games.

Put searchlights outside the Pit. It helps the game to look like a major event.

Open and stock all concession stands so it will not take an excessive amount of time to get refreshments.

If there was a video to display on the big screens showing the recent avancements including the new womens facilities, new soccer field, new tennis complex, completed athletic center, rebuilt softball facility and other advancements, it may get more of the students/fans on board with the program. An update to all the fans by the A.D., possibly between warm-ups and gametime, which would inform of any recent developments and any future plans would go a long way in making more people feel informed and involved.

The opportunity to excel is there. Why not do it? It could go a long way towards bolstering the spirits of the North Texas faithful, help with recruiting, and would expose many of our traditionally football only fans to our developing basketball program.

Well, there are two weeks remaining. Tickets will need to be mailed soon to allow fans enough time to include this game in their plans.

Has anyone heard anything yet about any promotions?

user posted image

The recruiting class can't get a whole lot better, the class for next yr is ranked 29th in the nation  biggrin.gif

Yeah, add the ASU center back to the core of incoming and returning players makes next years possibilities great. I'm glad they've given Johhnie Jones the time he needs to show he can bring in good talent. This year is definitely a springboard to next year. I like what I see.

The January 28th coincides with the final weekend of FOOTBALL recruiting. The recruits will be in attendance at the game.

This would also be a great time to start spreading some news about activities involving athletics on our campus. Basketball has a nationally ranked recruiting class that will be playing next season, there are several new facilities nearing completion, the Athletic Center has been finished out, we have an outstanding nonconference home slate for football including SMU and La Tech.

There are a lot of positive things happening at North Texas. Why keep them a secret?

Confirmed and committed season ticket purchasing fans are readily available. Why not get them involved early, and maybe expose them to a little North Texas basketball in the process.

Well, theres 13 days left.

Go Mean Green!

Edited by ADLER

They are haivng dollar dog night that night i know that much...they handed out flyers at gate A last home game

That's a start, but why haven't they advertised that anywhere else? There are lots of North Texas alumni working in the radio/TV industry in this area - why not push some alumni strings to get that kind of stuff advertised? I know budget comes to play somewhere in this, but even a sign or two would have helped.

They are haivng dollar dog night that night i know that much...they handed out flyers at gate A last home game

So will anybody that DIDN'T already go to the basketball game find out about this promotion? I am glad they are doing that, but if they don't let people that wouldn't normally make it know about it..............those people won't search out the promotion and find out themselves. Pretty much all of our promotions are like this. You must promote the promotion!!!

Edited by Zeke

dry.gif Apparently they're having several promotions. According to the website, there's free food and entertainment for tailgating before tonight's and Thursday night's games. Wish they'd tell someone about it... dry.gif

This is the kinda crap I am talking about!! We can give away buckets of diamonds to everybody in the door but if the regulars are the only ones that know about it (IF them), then we won't have any more people than normal.

Big Props to Adler for pushing this issue. That fball banquet weekend opportunity is a great chance for a win-win for everyone involved.