DRC Article

Harry

What the hell is a prototypical 1A college quarterback? Successful college quarterbacks come in all shapes and sizes. This ain't the NFL. If it was, I sure wouldn't turn down a Michael Vick or a Doug Flutie. They're both shorter  and lighter than this guy is listed. Sounds about the right size (and speed) for Dickey ball. Hope he has the skills to go with it.

So your argument is to name 2 guys that have played in the last 20 years that are smaller and lighter than this guy. Good point. They dont represent the norm and Vicks sub 4.3 speed is certainly a rarity.

By prototypical I meant more than 200 pounds and closer to 6'3. Look at that list of QBs on the other thread that has the guys eligible for the draft. The majority fit what I described.

I dont recall saying anywhere that the guy couldnt throw a football because he wasnt as big as other guys, nor did I say he couldnt be a very good QB. I hope he is a great QB for us, obviously

A more detailed article from Wednesday's paper.

Football: Coffeyville QB orally commits to UNT

Wilson hopes to add leadership, talent to Mean Green offense

09:00 AM CST on Wednesday, December 14, 2005

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Woody Wilson viewed film of a few of North Texas games this season and decided the Mean Green had just one major void in their offense during a 2-9 season.

It’s a hole the Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College quarterback hopes to fill next year.

Wilson confirmed late Monday night that he made a non-binding oral commitment to play for the Mean Green beginning in 2006 and will transfer to UNT at the semester break. Kilgore College tight end Brian Carlson also said he has committed to play for the Mean Green.

“I feel like I will be a good fit at North Texas at quarterback,” Wilson said. “I watched a couple of their games this year and it looked like they needed a quarterback and a leader. I think I can be that guy.”

Wilson, 6-1, 185, played quarterback at Coffeyville, where he threw for 910 yards and rushed for 214, despite playing in just six games before breaking his collarbone early on in a loss to Garden City in the Red Ravens’ seventh game of the season.

The injury kept him out the remainder of the season.

Wilson’s speed and athleticism made him a Division I prospect not only as a quarterback, but a defensive back as well. Wilson said Nebraska, Kansas State and Kansas all recruited him as a defensive back.

Wilson, who hails from Fayetteville, Ark., signed with Arkansas, but didn’t post a standardized test score that would allow him to compete as a freshman at a Division I college.

Arkansas placed Wilson at Coffeyville, where he spent his freshman year as a redshirt.

Wilson started at quarterback in his second year at Coffeyville until he broke his collarbone. He could have returned at the end of the season for the Ravens’ game against Georgia Military in the Golden Isle Bowl Classic on Dec. 3, but could have risked further injury.

“I will be ready for spring practice,” Wilson said. “I could have come back for the bowl game, but I didn’t want to take the risk.”

Wilson will join what is expected to be a heated quarterback battle in spring practice, when the Mean Green will look to spark an offense that struggled last season.

Redshirt freshman Daniel Meager started every game last season for UNT and threw for 941 yards. Freshman Matt Phillips also saw extensive action and threw for 448.

Joey Byerly, who was academically ineligible this season, could also return in time for spring practice.

UNT finished last in the Sun Belt Conference in passing yards and passing efficiency in 2005 with an average of 129.3 yards a game on a 92.9 efficiency rating.

The Mean Green averaged just 14.3 points per game last season, but have a few key players back, including 2004 national rushing champion Jamario Thomas, first team all-conference offensive lineman Dylan Lineberry and second-team all-conference wide receiver Johnny Quinn.

Carlson, 6-5, 271, believes he could add to that core by providing a physical presence as a blocking at tight end while continuing the Mean Green’s tradition of featuring all-conference players at the position. Jeff Muenchow was an All-Sun Belt Conference pick in 2001 and 2002, while Andy Blount received the same honor in 2004.

UNT did not have an all-conference tight end last season.

“They have a good program and I can fill a spot for them,” Carlson said. “At Kilgore, they used me as a blocking tight end about 90 percent of the time.”

Carlson was also recruited by New Mexico and cancelled a visit to the Albuquerque school after committing to UNT.

Carlson only began playing football during his senior year at Klein Oak High School in Spring after concentrating on basketball early on in his high school career.

“I was real impressed with the facilities at UNT and the academic program,” Carlson said. “I like the offense they run because it’s similar to the system we run here. They guys also seemed to get along really well. It seemed like a family.”

“I feel like I will be a good fit at North Texas at quarterback,” Wilson said. “I watched a couple of their games this year and it looked like they needed a quarterback and a leader. I think I can be that guy.”

Now, that's a good start. To me, one of the most important qualities of an outstanding QB is having confidence in their ability as a leader.

Having said that, I'm now ready for him to quit talking. The remainder of his "talking" should take place in the spring......with a football in his hand.

“I was real impressed with the facilities at UNT and the academic program,” Carlson said. “I like the offense they run because it’s similar to the system we run here. They guys also seemed to get along really well. It seemed like a family.”

So, Kilgore also runs a boring offense? blink.gif

I'm glad we're not the only fans that have to suffer. cool.gif

Correct me if you think I'm wrong here but this is my take on the overall quaterback situation................

If I were in Darrell Dickey AND Roman Flanigan's situiation, this would be my QB Depth Chart going into springball (knowing that Wilson will be here).

(1)Matt Phillips

(2)Woody Wilson vs. Daniel Meager

Here's why; the most absolute necessity at the positon, and subsequently the team, is leadership. I believe to this point, and from what I've read this board, that the general consensus is that Phillips was the best QB at the end of the season. This was just about three weeks ago. That's not a long length of time to hand things over to someone you haven't seen live. Plus Wilson is fresh off an injury and Meager appeared to get pretty banged up. You have to make Woody Wilson prove himself as the leader of this football TEAM.... not just the offense. It was obvious that this football team lacked leadership this season (not to blame anyone b/c how youthul we were). Someone needs to take the reins and drive the horses. You don't just hand an entire offense to someone, you make the earn it. We need an entire spring full of fierce competition, across the board, to see who's going to be holding the reins come 9/2/06 in Austin. GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!

If I were in Darrell Dickey AND Roman Flanigan's situiation, this would be my QB Depth Chart going into springball (knowing that Wilson will be here).

I think you can take all of last years depth charts and chunk them out the window. I think the coaches have a fire lit under them, I expect it to spread the players, and I expect anyone not commited 100% is going to be shown the door.

Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you realize that it was all the little things that were dragging you down.

Scott Hall was recruited by Big 12 schools to play DB.  He turned out to be a pretty good quarterback.

Very good point. Scott was looked at by bigger schools to play safety but he desired to play QB. Maybe theres something special inside those who truely want to play QB. You have to understand, Wilson is giving up quit an oppurtunity to play in the Big XII. Despite recent trends, Nebraska is still a very storied program. The same for Kansas State, who I think will bounce back in the next year or two. And, Kansas has made big strides the last two seasons.

I think you can take all of last years depth charts and chunk them out the window.  I think the coaches have a fire lit under them, I expect it to spread the players, and I expect anyone not commited 100% is going to be shown the door.

Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you realize that it was all the little things that were dragging you down.

good points!

I just reviewed Wilson's film clips on Rival.com.

Positives:

Legit 4.6 speed. Very mobile. At times looks like a poor man's Michael Vick.

Throws well on the run. Will not get sacked as often as past quarterbacks. Drops back very quickly in the pocket. Will pull the ball down and run down field.

Negatives:

Didn't see any option runs. (Maybe the offense of Coffeyville) Pulls the ball down too quick without allowing the play to develop down field. Runs with the ball a lot.

(Which is probably why he broke his shoulder) Like Michael Vick, I think that he may be injury prone.

My brief visual observation:

He moves right under center in the spring. Appears to be a clear upgrade over our current quarterbacks. With his mobility and style of play, I think he can help our running game tremendously. I don't see opposing defense keying totally on Jamario. Not a BCS quality QB, but compares favorably to Monroe's QB (Lyles, I think)

If he should win the starting position (he should being a Juco recruit) I can see the need for a solid #2 and #3 QB. His size and propensity to run so much, opens himself up for injuries.

So your argument is to name 2 guys that have played in the last 20 years that are smaller and lighter than this guy. Good point. They dont represent the norm and Vicks sub 4.3 speed is certainly a rarity.

By prototypical I meant more than 200 pounds and closer to 6'3. Look at that list of QBs on the other thread that has the guys eligible for the draft. The majority fit what I described.

I dont recall saying anywhere that the guy couldnt throw a football because he wasnt as big as other guys, nor did I say he couldnt be a very good QB. I hope he is a great QB for us, obviously

Michael Vick

Doug Flutie

Drew Brees

Ty Detmer

Koy Detmer

Jeff Garcia

If he should win the starting position (he should being a Juco recruit) I can see the need for a solid #2 and #3 QB. His size and propensity to run so much, opens himself up for injuries.

Nice analysis. It might be interesting to note that the guy has a similar build and injury history to DM. Of course, then we'd get flamed for labelling someone "injury-prone" before they go on to get concussed.

http://www.couriernews.com/archivedstory.asp?ID=4095

"Wilson who passed for 1,891 yards and 14 touchdowns and rushed for 660 and nine touchdowns. The Purple Dogs were shut out by Bentonville in the season finale, a game Wilson missed with a knee injury that required surgery after the season, and the senior only played a half in three games when Fayetteville started the season 9-0."

Wilson is by all reports an amazing talent, though.

Most importantly would Woody Wilson be known as:

Double W-ya, Double-DUB, DUB-DUB, or DUBYA.

Whatever he's going to be called, we may have just got a WOODY!!!

Good night everyone!

I've seen his name listed as Woodrow Wilson on another site.

Since he's come so far south, it seems appropriate to give him a nickname with "Tex-Mex" flavor.

Woodrow Wilson => El Presidente tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Here's to hoping he can lead this team to the land of OOC victories.

-->Wilson looks very, very impressive. His speed and knowing he was succesful as a QB in JC football already make him look like he's got DM's footwork and the type of composure we saw in MP. From the article, I like his attitude and that he sees that our O can do alot with the right man at QB.

[+]

+His offensive numbers- 900 and 200+ in just six games.

+JUCO experience

+Speed and passing ability in an environment that isn't high school level

+Height

+Existing WR corps at NT (JQ/BJ) gives him lots to play with that our current QBs had trouble making use of.

[-]

-He's 185. If he gets planted wrong by a big enough guy, it may injure him. But then, here's where the OL's blocking comes into play.

I like this guy, let's not lose him.

--> Brian Carlson looks like he can really help at TE, and he's as big as some of our linemen to boot. I also like how he said he likes our facilities...I think that excuse is now officially NULL.

(Not that it wasn't before)

Still left to take care of on our recruiting needs:

-OL/DL

Edited by meangreendork

DDickey needs to chunk his playbook in the nearest trash can and go to the kind of pass oriented offense that 94% of all other NCAA 1-A schools run GBT!

I disagree. Ark. State made it to Lafayette on the backs of a 1,000-yard rusher, another who got close and efficient QB play. UL-Lafayette had their first winning season in a decade after switching to an option offense.

When NM State switched from the Nebraska-I to their spread attack, they plummeted to 0-12. Doing the same at NT would set back the program for years.

I disagree. Ark. State made it to Lafayette on the backs of a 1,000-yard rusher, another who got close and efficient QB play. UL-Lafayette had their first winning season in a decade after switching to an option offense.

When NM State switched from the Nebraska-I to their spread attack, they plummeted to 0-12. Doing the same at NT would set back the program for years.

Yeah, we might fall from our perch among the worst teams in Div 1A.