New Stadium odds

Stan R

A HUGE money donor will have to be landed, or at the very least several big money donors.

We will have to raise $20 million or so before we can bond out the rest.

Before anyone goes on a "LJ Hates the football stadium" rant, please realise we can't use public money for this. It's state law. Donations are the only way to do this.

So the real question is, when are we getting $20 million raised? Add a year or two to that, there is your stadium date.

Slim and none ... and Slim just left town.    mad.gif

Not to be a pessimist, just a realist.

I thnk you are being way to optimistic. Let's get real here folks. No big donor = No new stadium. Stallings was right on the money when he said "Worry about filling Fouts on a consistent basis before you worry about building a new stadium".

To paraphrase, BOR, Ray......"If we had a SPONSOR donating TODAY we could have it ready by 2009!!!!"

What does that tell us???

1. The stadium will not be ready by 2009

2. We are NOT close in getting a SPONSOR.

3. The BOR et. al. are NOT actively looking for a sponsor.

4. NO sponors are stepping up to build us a stadium.

5. There are NO public funds to build us a stadium.

6. Buying new facilities for UNT-Dallas, UNT-Law, UNT-Engineering, TCOM expansion, buying other lands and buildings to expand our presence in the region is more important than FB........MILLIONS FOR EDUCATION BUT NOT A PENNY FOR ATHLETICS!!!!

7. FFR needs to take Ray with him fishing....that post was on the board shorter than my bogus UNT mulling CUSA bid post. laugh.gif

Donations are the only way to do this.

So the real question is, when are we getting $20 million raised?

There is the key...donations.

WHY has there not been more of a push for Stadium donations?

I know the box-thinking says you want a % secured before telling small donors to give, but this is North Texas, we are full of small donors. Set a date for starting construction for 2009, get fans excited. Have a committment plan where donors can divide up a donation over 4 year installments, then push it. Or phase in the thing...fund the architect plans, next fund the grade work, then fund the plumbing, then the foundation, etc.

Anything is better than this maybe, maybe not.

1.  The stadium will not be ready by 2009

It could be ready by 2007 if someone would write a check. It won't ever be if not.

2.  We are NOT close in getting a SPONSOR.

Several times that "big ticket donor" has been near. Nothing has been closed yet.

3.  The BOR et. al. are NOT actively looking for a sponsor.

Really don't see how you where able to infer that.

4.  NO sponors are stepping up to build us a stadium.

As of yet, no big checks.

5.  There are NO public funds to build us a stadium.

That would be the law.

6.  Buying new facilities for UNT-Dallas, UNT-Law, UNT-Engineering, TCOM expansion, buying other lands and buildings to expand our presence in the region is more important than FB........MILLIONS FOR EDUCATION BUT NOT A PENNY FOR ATHLETICS!!!!

Very, very wrong. You can't use state money to build a stadium. What has been built has been off of Title IX fees, and donations.

7.  FFR needs to take Ray with him fishing....that post was on the board shorter than my bogus UNT mulling CUSA bid post. laugh.gif

Someone, think of the children.... and have Ray take me too.

How many MGC members give even at the $250 level? Not 80,000... which is how many $250 donations we would need for that.

However, if we can get $15 million in one chunk, then MAYBE we could get the fan base excited enough to donate the other $5 million.

That's just my opinion.

There is the key...donations. 

I know the box-thinking says you want a % secured before telling small donors to give, but this is North Texas, we are full of small donors.  Set a date for starting construction for 2009, get fans excited.  Have a committment plan where donors can divide up a donation over 4 year installments, then push it.  Or phase in the thing...fund the architect plans, next fund the grade work, then fund the plumbing, then the foundation, etc. 

Anything is better than this maybe, maybe not.

Never thought I'd say that, but if only we were UCONN. They got an debt riddled state government to build their field - bastards.

http://www.advance.uconn.edu/2000/000508/00050802.htm

Although I do not believe state money should play a role in stadiums, I'd still take if it was us. Yay for hypocripsy!

How many MGC members give even at the $250 level? Not 80,000... which is how many $250 donations we would need for that.

However, if we can get $15 million in one chunk, then MAYBE we could get the fan base excited enough to donate the other $5 million.

That's just my opinion.

Why not start by asking for the $5 million then use it to lure the $15 million donor?

A HUGE money donor will have to be landed, or at the very least several big money donors.

We will have to raise $20 million or so before we can bond out the rest.

Before anyone goes on a "LJ Hates the football stadium" rant, please realise we can't use public money for this.  It's state law.  Donations are the only way to do this.

So the real question is, when are we getting $20 million raised?  Add a year or two to that, there is your stadium date.

For certain public monies cannot be used for the building of a new stadium at UNT, but a UNT Chancellor with a direct charge by his bosses to build a new university in south Dallas County can for sure influence the direction of where potential donor's monies can go; and in our case, do they get directed toward the main campus in Denton or to a "not yet free-standing umiversity" in south Dallas County? sad.gif

Much politics going on in the UNT System these days many might agree. Too bad most of the UNT constiuency won't know the results of all the politics until they have already become campus policy.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Why not start by asking for the $5 million then use it to lure the $15 million donor?

I think many of you are misguided on many donors you think we have. Lets crack the 1000 mark on that before we get ahead of ourselves. As of right now, this almost has to be done with a big donor or two. Hopefully, as the base builds this won't be the case, but its been a steady climb to say the least.

I think many of you are misguided on many donors you think we have. Lets crack the 1000 mark on that before we get ahead of ourselves. As of right now, this almost has to be done with a big donor or two. Hopefully, as the base builds this won't be the case, but its been a steady climb to say the least.

I know we don't have as many donors on the heels of a 2-9 season and with the prospects of a repeat next year as we would with some changes! tongue.gif

For certain public monies cannot be used for the building of a new stadium at UNT, but a UNT Chancellor with a direct charge by his bosses to build a new university in south Dallas County can for sure influence the direction of where potential donor's monies can go; and in our case, do they get directed toward the main campus in Denton or to a "not yet free-standing umiversity" in south Dallas County? sad.gif 

Aa I understand it, money spent on athletics has to be given to athletics. It's not like if someone donats $5 million to the general fund the president can decide to use it in athletics or not.

Aa I understand it, money spent on athletics has to be given to athletics.  It's not like if someone donats $5 million to the general fund the president can decide to use it in athletics or not.

Not what I'm really saying, Cerebus, but what if potential Big UNT Donor with no particular allegiance to either athletics or academics ask Lee Jackson: "Well, just where would our $10 million donation do you the most good in the UNT System?" huh.gif

GBT!

but what if potential Big UNT Donor with no particular allegiance to either athletics or academics ask Lee Jackson: "Well, just where would our $10 million donation do you the most good in the UNT System?"

thats a pretty big "what-if" isnt it? especially with little to zero proof of something like that happening. And how often do people write a check for say $10 mill and say "just put it wherever"

Not what I'm really saying, Cerebus, but what if potential Big UNT Donor with no particular allegiance to either athletics or academics ask Lee Jackson: "Well, just where would our $10 million donation do you the most good in the UNT System?" huh.gif

GBT!

I really don't think people come in with a check that bug and have NO IDEA where the money should go. They probably have a pretty good idea of what they want, if they are the ones coming to the school with the money. If I had millions to give it would go to athletics, as long as they put a bronze statue of an aardvark in front of the stadium, not too much to ask for right? However, some other alum is probably also going to have specific goals when they pick up the phone and call the development office.

Now, what about people who are contacted by the school, are they going to be given a pitch as to where their money should go. Yes, but that is why athletics now has two employees who raise money only for North Texas athletics, fullltime.